• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Hats off, sounds like a totally dominant performance from Fury.

Joshua v Fury would be a massive money spinner. But If I was Joshua I'd be wanting to avoid Fury like the plague. If Fury's heads's right I reckon he could make Joshua look pretty stupid.
100% agreed. Think he is the best by a bit. Showed last night he is not just great but can change styles and tactics.

That fight was brutal, and Fury totally dominated. He would clean up Joshua.

That fight was brutal, and Fury totally dominated. He would clean up Joshua.

Joshua has far more boxing skill than Wilder. Wilder legitimately has the Boxing IQ of a 5 year old.

Joshua definitely loses to Fury though.

Joshua has far more boxing skill than Wilder. Wilder legitimately has the Boxing IQ of a 5 year old.

Joshua definitely loses to Fury though.

I don't think there was any doubt before the second fight who was the better boxer. Just many peeps thought Wilder's ability to knock out his opponents, he'd won 41 of his previous 43 fights by knockout, would prevail. Forgetting Fury had largely outboxed Wilder for large portions of the first fight because he'd been knocked down twice. That second one in the 12 and how he got up from that is the stuff of Boxing legend.

Fury would be favourite v AJ for sure, if for no other reason Fury has the longer reach and would be able to frustrate AJ more than the other way round. As we have seen with AJ so far he has plan A to go for the early knockout (Ruiz fight 1) but got caught badly in that one or plan B - control the fight with his reach and jab (Parker and Ruiz fight 2). So, unless plan A works, which Fury would be too smart to let AJ get close enough, then plan B isn't going to work.

Last edited:
I don't think there was any doubt before the second fight who was the better boxer. Just many peeps thought Wilder's ability to knock out his opponents, he'd won 41 of his previous 43 fights by knockout, would prevail. Forgetting Fury had largely outboxed Wilder for large portions of the first fight because he'd been knocked down twice. That second one in the 12 and how he got up from that is the stuff of Boxing legend.

Fury would be favourite v AJ for sure, if for no other reason Fury has the longer reach and would be able to frustrate AJ more than the other way round. As we have seen with AJ so far he has plan A to go for the early knockout (Ruiz fight 1) but got caught badly in that one or plan B - control the fight with his reach and jab (Parker and Ruiz fight 2). So, unless plan A works, which Fury would be too smart to let AJ get close enough, then plan B isn't going to work.

To be honest any heavyweight that is quality could do what Fury did last night. Simply walk him down, close the distance, if he can't create space he can't throw that right hand. His inside game is terrible along with the rest of his boxing ability. All he has is that big white hand. Fury gave the blue print on beating him if his corner don't teach him how to box.

To be honest any heavyweight that is quality could do what Fury did last night. Simply walk him down, close the distance, if he can't create space he can't throw that right hand. His inside game is terrible along with the rest of his boxing ability. All he has is that big white hand. Fury gave the blue print on beating him if his corner don't teach him how to box.

Trying telling that the 41 other opponents Wilder has knocked out including Fury. :D

also a big right hand didn't do Rocky Marciano any harm. They called it his Suzy Q and he went 49 fights unbeaten before retiring.

Trying telling that the 41 other opponents Wilder has knocked out including Fury. :D

also a big right hand didn't do Rocky Marciano any harm. They called it his Suzy Q and he went 49 fights unbeaten before retiring.

The 41 other opponents were too scared to walk him down (And look at their records the majority of them were cab drivers). Fury, Ortiz and maybe Stiverne are the only quality opponents Wilder has ever fought.

Marciano is to me the most overhyped fighter to exist. Mob controlled fights. Fought most big names a decade after their prime. Still it's amazing he did all this while being an inch taller than Floyd Mayweather and having arms 6 inches shorter. Not really much of a comparison between Wilder and Marciano one is a giant who uses an overhand that needs space, the other was a midget who used a looping hook in close against taller fighters.

Wilder blaming the weight of his ring walk costume for his loss

Not a good look at all

The 41 other opponents were too scared to walk him down (And look at their records the majority of them were cab drivers). Fury, Ortiz and maybe Stiverne are the only quality opponents Wilder has ever fought.

Marciano is to me the most overhyped fighter to exist. Mob controlled fights. Fought most big names a decade after their prime. Still it's amazing he did all this while being an inch taller than Floyd Mayweather and having arms 6 inches shorter. Not really much of a comparison between Wilder and Marciano one is a giant who uses an overhand that needs space, the other was a midget who used a looping hook in close against taller fighters.

I think my point was it's easy to criticize Wilder's opponents. Everyone has a plan until they get smacked it the face, as Mike Tyson said. Wilder still had that big right hand and stopping him making the space to throw it was easier said than done. And he could still take a punch himself, being the first time he'd been knocked down since his amateur days.

Marciano was still a great heavyweight. Sure that era was mob tainted. And he probably fought only 3 decent heavyweights in his time: Joe Louis, who was definitely past his prime, Jersey Joe Walcott, who was very old and Ezzard Charles. But you go through any of the great champions and the quality of their opponents and they can be disparage their records. Louis was famed for beating a "bum of the month" which inflated his record, but he's regarded as the top 3 heavyweights of all time.

Marciano is a lot like Wilder in that he was drip fed opponents gradually. Wilder didn't fight for a world ***le until his 34th fight and after he won that they wouldn't put him in with Klitchko. AJ had his first ***le fight after 16 fights and has fought almost exclusively top 10 fights unlike Wilder and also unlike Fury.

Wilder has been very protected but was a legitimate champion and should be remembered as such

Marciano is a lot like Wilder in that he was drip fed opponents gradually. Wilder didn't fight for a world ***le until his 34th fight and after he won that they wouldn't put him in with Klitchko. AJ had his first ***le fight after 16 fights and has fought almost exclusively top 10 fights unlike Wilder and also unlike Fury.

Wilder has been very protected but was a legitimate champion and should be remembered as such
I will remember him as one of the few world champions who never learned how to box.

He's up there with Ricardo Mayorga for Champion with the boxing IQ of a 5 year old.

Billy Joe Saunders really is establishing himself as a prize tool. If he thinks this is meant to be funny then he is very much mistaken. What a complete kn0b!

Billy Joe Saunders really is establishing himself as a prize tool. If he thinks this is meant to be funny then he is very much mistaken. What a complete kn0b!

Yeah absolutely no excuse for what he did to post such a stupid video up. He has apologised for it, but WTF was he thinking at the time? when people are couped up and domestic violence incidents bound to go up.

Joshua and Fury have reached a two fight deal in principle. Got to be at a huge stadium - presumably Wembley for at least one of them and a massive pay per view.

If Fury's got his head straight he wins all day long for me.

Joshua and Fury have reached a two fight deal in principle. Got to be at a huge stadium - presumably Wembley for at least one of them and a massive pay per view.

If Fury's got his head straight he wins all day long for me.

I think Fury wins too. Hopefully he's leading on the scorecards with AJ having to go for the KO in the later rounds which should make it a tasty affair.

Can see one fight at Wembley and the other in Saudi where they would pay silly money for this kind of fight.

Latest posts