• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Antisocial, societal issues thread

One is a mostly physiological condition the other is a mostly mental that is treated through physiological means.

They should not be treated as the same.
Just because no one has discovered any definitive physiological reason doesn't mean it's always psychological. Because gender is a construct Some people will choose a gender for psychological reasons, sure, but most of the people that feel so out of place they feel they need surgery likely have something else going on. In the last hundred years ago western society has been obsessed with assuming everything is psychological until proven otherwise, despite there being no good reason to think so, the rationales being backed up by completely speculative unproven and unscientific theories of the 'mind', and despite the fact that our understanding of physiologic mechanisms is still in its infancy.

Last edited:
Just because no one has discovered any definitive physiological reason doesn't mean it's always psychological. Because gender is a construct Some people will choose a gender for psychological reasons, sure, but most of the people that feel so out of place they feel they need surgery likely have something else going on. In the last hundred years ago western society has been obsessed with assuming everything is psychological until proven otherwise, despite there being no good reason to think so, the rationales being backed up by completely speculative unproven and unscientific theories of the 'mind', and despite the fact that our understanding of physiologic mechanisms is still in its infancy.
Agreed entirely with a fair amount of that, and my comment was more broad and intended to say don't treat intersex and trans issues as the same thing. Much like intersex which has a broad range of conditions and treatments I'm sure trans does as well but definitely less well understood.

My mum would use the "gei mo so" which is feather duster to whack me and my sister. But then a lot of ethnic minorities will continue to beat their children in private as discipline. Passed down by generations.

Still doubt it'll be made illegal in the England. To many people in power from private schools see a good old fashioned slippering as character building. I don't think private schools stopped corporal punishment till the late 90's.

In theory smacking a child is illegal but you have the 'vague' reasonable chastising excuse. Bit like self-defence it's all on 'reasonable' rather than just don't hit kids

Still doubt it'll be made illegal in the England. To many people in power from private schools see a good old fashioned slippering as character building. I don't think private schools stopped corporal punishment till the late 90's.

In theory smacking a child is illegal but you have the 'vague' reasonable chastising excuse. Bit like self-defence it's all on 'reasonable' rather than just don't hit kids

I wouldn't rule out a Labour Govt making it illegal in England in the future given that Welsh Labour did it in Wales. It's probably one of those issues where toffs and chavs are united. Maybe Labour would prefer to wait until enough red wall seats are safe before committing to anything.

If I were a parent I'd be wanting to be guided by medical studies/data on this (as opposed to private schools convention). Sweden banned smacking way back in 1979. It's a bit disappointing that there wasn't a four nation approach on something like this - seems mad that smacking is banned in Scotland and Wales but not England and NI but that's devolution for you.

Good to see we are top of the league at something. 🤔.

Seriously though it depends - are these underage drinkers taking a a quick swig just out of curiosity or are they drinking with their parents with food? Is it just very small amounts? I recall when I was very young trying my parent's brandy, which they got for guests. And was put off for life. I started drinking in pubs from 16 - the days when smoking was still allowed and you had old beefy landlords, who knew who to serve and how much. where you'd go to your local corner shop and they would serve you without asking for ID.

🤣

Latest posts