• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brennan gets his just deserts.

Am i the only one he feels he got let off lightly, banned for life after retiring? thats like being sacked from a job the day before you where due to leave anyway. Surely a larger financial sanction and maybe rugby community work would have been more beneficial and punishing on brennan

I agree we shouldnt judge him by this one incident , but it has cast a shadow over both his entire career and the game. What he did was unexcusable and what he will be remembered for, shame as he had a great playing career but he marred it all himself and only has himself to blame.

He punched a fan.
I think that's worthy enough to judge a man on.
Cantona went down as a legend but that Kung-Fu kick was massive blemish on his career.
Inexcusable.

I don't think it's really getting off lightly, that was a hefty fine, even for a professional rugby player.

I think it was the idea of having several, smaller fines making up a much larger, overall one.

He has to pay about £19,000 - £20,000 when its all toted up.

He punched a fan. I think that's worthy enough to judge a man on. Inexcusable.
[/b]

He said he punched a man who called his mother a whore. I'd do the same to be honest as would most of the people reading these forums. Thats what your judging.

You cant really think he just walked up and smacked an unsuspecting 'fan' for no apparent reason at all. There had to be a fair amount of baiting coming from the Ulster fans. Sure didnt Thomas get involved with them as well over a seperate incident at the same game?

This is a quote from an article up on Planet Rugby.

Brennan has a reputation for aggressive play on the pitch, but no history off it. It is inconceivable that he would react like that to someone singing a rude song about his bar. If Brennan's action was smoke - a red mist is probably more appropriate - there must have been a fire. [/b]

Its a good article, well worth a read and raises a few interesting points. http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,18259,...1871395,00.html

<div class='quotemain'>
He punched a fan. I think that's worthy enough to judge a man on. Inexcusable.
[/b]

He said he punched a man who called his mother a whore. I'd do the same to be honest as would most of the people reading these forums. Thats what your judging.

You cant really think he just walked up and smacked an unsuspecting 'fan' for no apparent reason at all. There had to be a fair amount of baiting coming from the Ulster fans. Sure didnt Thomas get involved with them as well over a seperate incident at the same game?
[/b][/quote]

The BBC correspondent who was sitting in the same area of the stand reported no such chanting or insults other than "your bar is rubbish."

Also, no evidence was presented at the hearing which supported Brennan's claims. Finally, the French police thought the whole thing was (and I quote Tolouse Police here) "a fuss over nothing", both with the instigation which enraged Brennan and (rather controversial and disgraceful in my opinion) the assault itself.

Thomas got involved with the crowd after hearing what had happened with Brennan.

Regardless of what happened or who said what, you don't go and punch spectators. Period. If a woman called your mother a whore, you don't go and punch her repeatedly in the face Veronica Gurin style, no matter what the excuse. Why? Because its immoral, cowardly and just plain wrong.

There is no excuse for such behaviour. Causes yes, but not an excuse.

Also, no evidence was presented at the hearing which supported Brennan's claims. Finally, the French police thought the whole thing was (and I quote Tolouse Police here) "a fuss over nothing", both with the instigation which enraged Brennan and (rather controversial and disgraceful in my opinion) the assault itself.
[/b]

My point is that Brennan believed he was reacting to an insult to his mother. Thats what he heard and thats what he reacted to. I dont believe he would have reacted to someone hurling abuse at his bar, hes taken a lot more abuse then that over the years.

No evidence was presented at the hearing by Brennan's side at all. He had to withdraw as it could impact on any potential civil suite. Maybe there is no evidence, maybe he did just go psycho, but I just dont think so.

Anyhoo, I'm not condoning his actions. Sure jesus he regrets them himself. All I said at the start was, dont judge a mans entire career on the final act of it. No matter how mad it was.

Regardless of what happened or who said what, you don't go and punch spectators. Period. If a woman called your mother a whore, you don't go and punch her repeatedly in the face Veronica Gurin style, no matter what the excuse. Why? Because its immoral, cowardly and just plain wrong. [/b]

Well to answer a more appropriate question, if it was a man repeatedly baiting me, calling my mother a whore, slagging off my bar (never mind whatever was said the night before in the actual bar) well yeah I probably would. And I'd feel it was with just cause. No idea where hitting a defensless woman comes into this debate. This wasnt some old woman minding her own business. This guy was fairly tanked up and happily baiting brennan.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

My point is that Brennan believed he was reacting to an insult to his mother. Thats what he heard and thats what he reacted to. I dont believe he would have reacted to someone hurling abuse at his bar, hes taken a lot more abuse then that over the years.

No evidence was presented at the hearing by Brennan's side at all. He had to withdraw as it could impact on any potential civil suite. Maybe there is no evidence, maybe he did just go psycho, but I just dont think so.

Anyhoo, I'm not condoning his actions. Sure jesus he regrets them himself. All I said at the start was, dont judge a mans entire career on the final act of it. No matter how mad it was.

Regardless of what happened or who said what, you don't go and punch spectators. Period. If a woman called your mother a whore, you don't go and punch her repeatedly in the face Veronica Gurin style, no matter what the excuse. Why? Because its immoral, cowardly and just plain wrong. [/b]

Well to answer a more appropriate question, if it was a man repeatedly baiting me, calling my mother a whore, slagging off my bar (never mind whatever was said the night before in the actual bar) well yeah I probably would. And I'd feel it was with just cause. No idea where hitting a defensless woman comes into this debate. This wasnt some old woman minding her own business. This guy was fairly tanked up and happily baiting brennan.
[/b][/quote]

I tend to agree entirely with you on this, Logorrhea. One can take a great deal most of the time, but there comes a point where the line has been crossed and it is a case of, 'that's enough'. I think Brennan reached that point and reacted. I'll bet the fan won't be in a hurry to shoot his mouth off at any more matches he attends, that's for sure.

[/b]

I know what your point was, my point was that it was just his word that the fans were chanting stuff about his mother whereas the evidence from impartial bystanders and Ulster fans alike point to no such chanting.

Obviously though, why am I debating this?! if Brennan says that they insulted his mother, then obviously it must be true, everyone else must be lying and he obviously has to be justified in bringing the entire game of rugby into disrepute!

Anyhoo, I'm not condoning his actions. Sure jesus he regrets them himself. All I said at the start was, don't judge a mans entire career on the final act of it. No matter how mad it was. [/b]

The man deserved what he got, he did one of the things you definitely should not, absolutely not do under any circumstances. How could this not cloud his entire career?! If there really was abuse then he should have just told the Toulouse stewards to kick them out of the stadium like they do here in the UK. End of problem.

Well to answer a more appropriate question, if it was a man repeatedly baiting me, calling my mother a whore, slagging off my bar (never mind whatever was said the night before in the actual bar) well yeah I probably would. And I'd feel it was with just cause. No idea where hitting a defenceless woman comes into this debate. This wasn't some old woman minding her own business. This guy was fairly tanked up and happily baiting brennan.
[/b]

The point about that you wouldn't punch an abusive woman would you? So why should anyone else be any different? Regardless of the reasons, lashing out just indicates a loss of control which more than likely makes you end up the loser and cannot be condoned.

That fan was neither "fairly tanked up" nor was he abusing Brennan's mother. He was picked out at random by Brennan wanting to lash out at the crowd who were just taking the mick out of his pub. That fan could have been an elderly man, a kid, anyone, Brennan was so enraged he could have punched anyone that's how dangerous that situation was, and Brennan has to take full responsibility for it.

I've always appreciated Brennan and what he supplied to Toulouse

To be honest, even if a life bannishment after retirement is not realy a banihment, it's not a nice way to end such a carreer...but the fan should be also judged for insult and provocation.

We all here are proud not to be compared to football public, be able to share beer and time in pubs, bistrots or cafés at the end of every match, or bring our childs with us without any doubt of violence deviation.

So we're not of course at this point, the one that football knows, but not to take this way, if a man like Trevor as nothing to do on the field anymore, a man like this stupid fan has no more reasons to be in the steps.

Latest posts