• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bring Back Rucking

I dont know about anyone else, but in Taranaki we have pretty much drawn a distinction between rucking and stomping.

Neither are technically legal.. but we have quite a few old school refs that let you ruck. The difference ive been taught is that stomping is highly illegal, thats the **** that gives the massive gashes and dents bone. Stomping is raising the foot before crashing it down and maybe raking it back.

Rucking is allowed as long as its not on the head of wildly off the ball, its pretty much a horizontal movement. no vertical action. The thinking is that you dont slam the hell out of the ball in the ruck, you place your foot on it and use finesse and work it back, so why not use that on the player. I find that if you are just moving horizontally, even if you give the guy a good working over, it barely draws blood. It still stings like a ***** though, and hurts if you get a stud to the fingers regardless. So it discourages cheeky opensides like myself to put their hands on it. You can also physically move a guy off the ball by rucking, so even if hes determined to lie on the ball and take the pain, you can just pull him off it anyway.

It makes the game move so much faster, the tight forwards love getting the ability to ruck, and the backs love that they actually get quick ball every now and then. hell even i enjoy it as a flanker, its more of a challenge knowing if im going to try my hand i have to time it perfectly and with speed or there are cleats coming. makes a steal that much more of an accomplishment.

I say bring back rucking, not stomping.

@jawmalawm24 "and the blood bin lol who invented that wtf"

-Aids bro. Mr Aids invented that. thats actually a pc rule i agree with. you cant staunch out hepititus haha.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 16 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dont know about anyone else, but in Taranaki we have pretty much drawn a distinction between rucking and stomping.

Neither are technically legal.. but we have quite a few old school refs that let you ruck. The difference ive been taught is that stomping is highly illegal, thats the **** that gives the massive gashes and dents bone. Stomping is raising the foot before crashing it down and maybe raking it back.

Rucking is allowed as long as its not on the head of wildly off the ball, its pretty much a horizontal movement. no vertical action. The thinking is that you dont slam the hell out of the ball in the ruck, you place your foot on it and use finesse and work it back, so why not use that on the player. I find that if you are just moving horizontally, even if you give the guy a good working over, it barely draws blood. It still stings like a ***** though, and hurts if you get a stud to the fingers regardless. So it discourages cheeky opensides like myself to put their hands on it. You can also physically move a guy off the ball by rucking, so even if hes determined to lie on the ball and take the pain, you can just pull him off it anyway.

It makes the game move so much faster, the tight forwards love getting the ability to ruck, and the backs love that they actually get quick ball every now and then. hell even i enjoy it as a flanker, its more of a challenge knowing if im going to try my hand i have to time it perfectly and with speed or there are cleats coming. makes a steal that much more of an accomplishment.

-Aids bro. Mr Aids invented that. thats actually a pc rule i agree with. you cant staunch out hepititus haha.[/b]

Agree with all of what you have said. Difficult to referee though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Sep 17 2009, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 16 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Aids bro. Mr Aids invented that. thats actually a pc rule i agree with. you cant staunch out hepititus haha.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeahh, i cant really put my finger on why but we havnt really had too many problems seperating the stompers from the ruckers, everyone just generally accepts it. it could be that everyone enjoys the game more with rucking and dont want to jeopardize it, but then again who knows.

We have quite a bit of old school justice going on, where if a guys having a go on another guys head, and he gets clobbered to get him to stop, the guy stomping is generally the only one that gets punished.

Thats the way it should be in my opinion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 21 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Sep 17 2009, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 16 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Yeahh, i cant really put my finger on why but we havnt really had too many problems seperating the stompers from the ruckers, everyone just generally accepts it. it could be that everyone enjoys the game more with rucking and dont want to jeopardize it, but then again who knows.

We have quite a bit of old school justice going on, where if a guys having a go on another guys head, and he gets clobbered to get him to stop, the guy stomping is generally the only one that gets punished.

Thats the way it should be in my opinion.
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you 100%. However I used to think differently years ago. I've played most of my life as openside flanker, and the whole rucking issue is quite a delicate one. I am a fairly big guy (6' 6" & 102 kilos) and I used to stomp on other players whenever a ruck was formed, charging them head or shoulders first. I often used to get away with it. But I changed my mind about it when a blindside flanker nearly killed me months ago. I was rucking the ball when he charged me on my neck with his shoulder. Needless to say, I had to undergo surgeries - 2 to be precise, and spent months without stepping on a Rugby pitch.

True rucking makes the game much more dynamic, and prompts for a higher set of skills. Flankers like myself will actually have to think twice before trying to use our hands - not to mention that the whole backline will get quick ball more often, as it was said before. Would this make room for an entirely different game..? Perhaps it would reduce aimless kicking (or the tendency to kick up-and-unders)..?

Gota bring back rucking I was watching some old Rugby games and everything was flowing even the scrums there were not resets and no one trying to put their mitts on the ball or lying all over it in the breakdowns. Another huge thing was that I never heard the ref screaming his head off like they do these days he was just there to officiate and that was it.

Latest posts