• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bryan Habana

Habana has the "wow" factor, the "wow" factor when watching a game and they just do something awesome that all you can say is "wow" and appreciate the moment, regardless of being on the receiving end, he's scored some fantastic tries and he works extremely hard as a winger.

I remember back to what is being called one of the "greatest games of rugby" a few years ago, when he scored 2 awesome tries, which helped make this game get that status and I really wish he could have played on in the rest of this match, he was on fire that he probably could have won them the game, but him and Ben going toe to toe was amazing to watch;

How can you rate Paulse and Rossouw ahead of him? They are good players yes. But Brian is a machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paulse or Rossouw are nowhere near Habana. Watch some of the Bulls and Lions highlights, he had some fantastic moments.

As for the greatest SA player ever, I'd have to go with Joost.

@TRF_heineken What are you talking about? I've supported New Zealand for a long time - I primarily post in NZ threads. Can't remember using the term 'our' when referring to Wales.

I refer to this post:
http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/36560-Predictions-for-the-knockout-stages?p=756406&viewfull=1#post756406

I'm more worried about that semi final against South Africa. I think the Boks are picking up steam, and we'll need to make our tackles - something we've been suspect on at times this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hipster Rugby supporter spotted.

Patronising, holier-than-thou fan spotted.

Maybe consider that I was brought up on a diet of late 90s, early noughties south african rugby. Or just keep on deciding what type of fan I am.

I think they were better players in their pomp and I prefer the way they played the game.

We. WE as in New Zealand. I always post on NZ threads. I also used 'we' when I said 2007 (that should have given it away). I also said I agreed with the prediction that it'll likely be a SA vs ABs semi final, and that we'll need to make our tackles.

Read the whole thing.

Read it. Don't see a mention of NZ anywhere, but okay, I take it you were referring to the SF instead of the QF.

Was just wondering since you have a GB flag on your profile.

Raised in NZ, brought up through the schooling system, most family were born here too. Just happened to be born outside the region.

Paulse or Rossouw are nowhere near Habana. Watch some of the Bulls and Lions highlights, he had some fantastic moments.

As for the greatest SA player ever, I'd have to go with Joost.

I tend to go for Joost as well. Before 2000 its hard to weigh players with modern players. I suspect Danie Gerber would be a great SA center but maybe not a legend if he were to play today. That said maybe if had the access to the type of resources and regimes modern players do.. apples and oranges, no way to compare other than maybe on an impact-within-their-context type of comparison.

Also we've seen so much of Habana of late that we forget the force he was ~2007. In time I think people will forget his slumps, forget the few mistakes he made and remember his workrate and blistering pace. My boy will only see the best of Habana on highlights reels for instance and I'm sure his legacy as a Bok winger will dwarf that of those before him. ITO SA rugby at least. Despite being apples and oranges its difficult to argue with Lomu's impact on the game in his shorter time.

Patronising, holier-than-thou fan spotted.

Maybe consider that I was brought up on a diet of late 90s, early noughties south african rugby. Or just keep on deciding what type of fan I am.

I think they were better players in their pomp and I prefer the way they played the game.

Maybe consider I'm a Kiwi who was brought up and often on the receiving end of that late 90's, early "noughties" South African rugby, you're just being a contrarian. The facts, stats and common knowledge and sense is all there for you to see.

Habana is the 2nd greatest winger South Africa has ever produced, and the 2nd greatest player South Africa has ever produced, he is an awesome player.

The no.1 spot on both counts goes to... the truly great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuE0e-e1Y3g

Rugby has come such a long way when you look at those tackle attempts and the 'swing' passes they teach at primary school level LOL!! I do like the speed at the scrum though!

Maybe consider I'm a Kiwi who was brought up and often on the receiving end of that late 90's, early "noughties" South African rugby, you're just being a contrarian. The facts, stats and common knowledge and sense is all there for you to see.

I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that I consider Paulse and Pieter are better wingers.

You, on the other hand, are not so entitled to be quite so prickish in deciding why I believe that to be the case. Not for you decide or asert that im a "hipster fan".

Habana is the 2nd greatest winger South Africa has ever produced, and the 2nd greatest player South Africa has ever produced, he is an awesome player.

The no.1 spot on both counts goes to... the truly great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuE0e-e1Y3g

Never saw him play but I've heard a lot of old timers say Danie Gerber was one of the best backs in history.

Really encouraging to see my OP has created just a varied debate

Must post such conversation starting threads more regularly

I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that I consider Paulse and Pieter are better wingers.

You, on the other hand, are not so entitled to be quite so prickish in deciding why I believe that to be the case. Not for you decide or asert that im a "hipster fan".

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they're full of crap :)

It's not even an opinion dude, the facts stats and everything else is there to counter your "opinion". Basically what you're saying is, you can make a claim for anyone being a better winger than Habana because it's "your opinion" - Don't fall back on that lame expression, I actually lose a lot of respect for people when they use that cliche, beside, you didn't even make a good case of it.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they're full of crap :)

It's not even an opinion dude, the facts stats and everything else is there to counter your "opinion". Basically what you're saying is, you can make a claim for anyone being a better winger than Habana because it's "your opinion" - Don't fall back on that lame expression, I actually lose a lot of respect for people when they use that cliche, beside, you didn't even make a good case of it.

Soooo much irony in this post.

Habana v Lomu - Just the Facts

Habana RWC Matches
1 v Sam 9 Sep 2007
2 v Eng 14 Sep 2007
3 v Ton 22 Sep 2007
4 v USA 30 Sep 2007
5 v Fij 7 Oct 2007
6 v Arg 14 Oct 2007
7 v Eng 20 Oct 2007
8 v Wal 11 Sep 2011
9 v Nam 22 Sep 2011
10 v Sam 30 Sep 2011
11 v Aus 9 Oct 2011
12 v Jap 19 Sep 2015
13 v Sam 26 Sep 2015
14 v Sco 3 Oct 2015
15 v USA 7 Oct 2015

Habana RWC Tries
1 v Sam 59-7 2007
2 v Sam 59-7 2007
3 v Sam 59-7 2007
4 v Sam 59-7 2007
5 v USA 64-15 2007
6 v USA 64-15 2007
7 v Arg 37-13 2007
8 v Arg 37-13 2007
9 v Nam 87-0 2011
10 v Sam 13-5 2011
11 v Sam 46-6 2015
12 v Sco 34-16 2015
13 v USA 64-0 2015
14 v USA 64-0 2015
15 v USA 64-0 2015

Lomu RWC Matches
1 v Ire 27 May 1995
2 v Wal 31 May 1995
3 v Sco 11 Jun 1995
4 v Eng 18 Jun 1995
5 v SA 24 Jun 1995
6 v Ton 3 Oct 1999
7 v Eng 9 Oct 1999
8 v Ita 14 Oct 1999
9 v Sco 24 Oct 1999
10 v Fra 31 Oct 1999

Lomu RWC Tries
1 v Ire 43-19 1995
2 v Ire 43-19 1995
3 v Sco 48-30 1995
4 v Eng 45-29 1995
5 v Eng 45-29 1995
6 v Eng 45-29 1995
7 v Eng 45-29 1995
8 v Ton 45-9 1999
9 v Ton 45-9 1999
10 v Eng 30-16 1999
11 v Ita 101-3 1999
12 v Ita 101-3 1999
13 v Sco 30-18 1999
14 v Fra 31-43 1999
15 v Fra 31-43 1999

Last edited:
You young fellas forget bout other aspects of rugby like FEAR.
Brad Thorne is a modern era player who scared his opposition.
Bakkies Botha, Martin Johnson, Carl hayman, Richard loe, the list of scary characters goes on but in history only two wingers have actively instilled FEAR in the opposition from what they 'might' do come game time.
The obvious one is Jonah but you young fellas cannot remember the fear that Ray Mordt put into the NZ public especially when they pondered on the terrifying prospect of our tiny weedie fullback (Alan Hewson, who was a fine player) having to face a one on one with the Bok juggernaut himself.
Habana causes no fear, Ray Mordt caused insomnia to a nation of rugby heads.

Latest posts