• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bryan Habana

Habana deserves it. He has shone in every single competition he played in, especially in the world cup (and any judgement on player of the year has to be weighted heavily by the world cup: it's the most important competition in the rugby world). He has scored tries, easy finishes, difficult finishes, flashy finishes all sorts. He scored the last minute try in S14 final. Plus his defence hasn't been too shoddy (especially in WC final). Despite being such a superstar, he is also very much a team player. And he has a RWC winners medal.

are there any other real contenders? of those nominated i don't think the Argentines did quite enough, especially in consistancy. McCaw would have got it had it been awarded before the world cup. but it wasn't and mcCaw didn't lead his side to victory. Of those not nominated, the only player i'd consider would be Matfield.

Actually I was referring to Hernandez not Habana, as Boggle said read the posts before mine.

Anywho you guys have convinced me. Habana has been the name that's stood out this World Cup and so I hear from the super 14. He has scored tries as a winger should do and his defence has been good mostly.
:bravo: :cheers:

P.S. don't call me a smartass :wall: cause i'm not an ass. i'm a peniss

Habana's brilliant don't get me wrong, but all his tries were against lower teams such as Samoa (in which half came), Tonga and USA. He's not as good as some of you are making him out to be, although he deserves player of the year. And in super14 other wingers easily match him every week, namely Joe and Sitiveni.

Habana's brilliant don't get me wrong, but all his tries were against lower teams such as Samoa (in which half came), Tonga and USA. He's not as good as some of you are making him out to be, although he deserves player of the year. And in super14 other wingers easily match him every week, namely Joe and Sitiveni. [/b]

And would you consider Argentina a "lower" team too, especially considering their 2 demolition jobs on France, and their current world ranking of 3? You know, the same Argies that Habana scored 2 tries against, in the RWC semi?

And please mate, don`t even try to compare Joe or Sivi to Habana on this year`s S14 form- weren`t they being reconditioned or something, missing half the tourney? Ahem.......

And please mate, don`t even try to compare Joe or Sivi to Habana on this year`s S14 form- weren`t they being reconditioned or something, missing half the tourney? Ahem.......
[/b]

But hey' the same thing could be said about Habana.. wasnt he missing in the Tri nations??

True, missing for the tri-nations. Touche.

But he still ended the year being the leading try-scorer in all international rugby, scoring 13 test tries in what was effectively a shortened season for him, as you correctly pointed out. Now that takes some doing!

I think the try in the Super 14 final probably won it for him(and of course his high hit rate)....it has been a pretty average season from most other players...

<div class='quotemain'> Habana's brilliant don't get me wrong, but all his tries were against lower teams such as Samoa (in which half came), Tonga and USA. He's not as good as some of you are making him out to be, although he deserves player of the year. And in super14 other wingers easily match him every week, namely Joe and Sitiveni. [/b]

And would you consider Argentina a "lower" team too, especially considering their 2 demolition jobs on France, and their current world ranking of 3? You know, the same Argies that Habana scored 2 tries against, in the RWC semi?

[/b][/quote]

Joe came straight back into international rugby and scored the winning try against you in Durban after not playing all year. The point I'm making is that look at the opponent's Habana has scored his tries against compared to Rokocoko (which doesn't have any relevance to this year I know).

Habana did score 2 very important tries against Argentina, the first of which was brilliant. He fully deserves player of the year, all I'm saying is that people get carried away with praising Habana as the best (again, I'm talking overall, not this year) as the two other wingers I've mentioned both pull out performances like Habana week in, week out (the records speak for themselves) and if not, sometimes better.

Finally, what does this years S14 have to do with anything? I never said this year's S14 specifically did I? I'm not arguing the point Habana has been the top player this year, as he fully has been.

No problems then w_c, I was actually looking at this year specifically, what with it being his awarding of the player of the year award that came under discussion here.

When it comes to overall stats, well nobody can argue that both Rok (strike-rate in the high 90`s) and Sivi (strike-rate of 100 I think?) have got awesome try-scoring records. But then again, so does Habana- 30 tries in 35 tests is a pretty decent return too, especially considering that the Bok game-plan is a lot more conservative than the AB game-plan, and Habana needs to do most of his scoring from turnovers.

what a year for habana, first he stole the super 14 from the sharks, the he almost stole the record from lomu. brilliant player, deserve to be player of the year

probably win habana the award

but i think that the best player of the year is J.M.Hernandez

sure habana can score tries but that shouldn't make him player of the year. I think Hernandez has played brilliantly. By the way although habana can score tries he doesn't show as much skill else where.

sure habana can score tries but that shouldn't make him player of the year. I think Hernandez has played brilliantly. By the way although habana can score tries he doesn't show as much skill else where.
[/b]
Firstly, Habana played fantastic in Super 14, good in tri nations, highest scorer in the world cup. Hernandez was a revelation in the world cup but did he seriously play better then Habana? Watch the highlights of Habana's season, the answer will be clear.

Secondly, he is a winger, they are there to score tries first and foremost, what more do you want from him?

For me Bryan Habbana is not such a good player but also one of the best runner of this world cup.

Yup he deserves it although he did miss the tri nations scoring 4 tries against England early in the year set him off nicely. Watched him close up when South Africa played Scotland in the warmup games and his willingness not just to run with the ball but to get into the physical side of the game was surprising for such an elegant players.

Matfield and Botha also deserved to be up there, absoloutely dominant at the lineout against every side they came up against.

For me Bryan Habbana is not such a good player but also one of the best runner of this world cup[/b]

I am agree with you, this player is very fast.
[/b]

I heard someone saying that this player can do 10"4 to the 100m.
I think Jamaica can now play rugby with Asafa Powell and his 9"77 to the 100m.
When will arrive the starting blocks on rugby grass? :)

habana deserves it , but hernadez played a mean world cup.
[/b]

Yup but he crumbled under the pressure in the semis, so he doesnt deserve the accolade.

Latest posts