• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bulking up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Nov 10 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I find at a school level that big arms intimidate.[/b]

Even afterwards they do. I was at the shops the other day, and in front of me was some dude with his *Do i look like a fly?* sunglasses, and a vest. His pants were barely making it past his thighs as well. Anyway, he looks back at me, and, as if scanning, he looks at me from toe to head, as if to scope me out completely. Now, i have pretty big arms, so the guy turns around again, and all of a sudden starts clicking his neck, and rotates his shoulders. He also clamped his fists and started sniffing really loudly.

What a retard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price2 @ Oct 27 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi (Im new and this is my first post)

I've just moved up from U16s to colts, and i feel as though i need to bulk up and get stronger to have any impact on the field, especially when ball carrying.
I play hooker.
10st 3.
Small, about 5ft 4(i think), and quite podgy, but not fat.

So, last week i started weight training.
Mon; Weight Training
Tue; Rugby Training
Wed; Weight Training
Thur; Rugby Training
Fri; ______
Sat; Game/Rugby T
Sun; ______
( Some fridays + Sundays I will do weight training, Depending on how stiff/sore I am )
(I do this on top of my a-level studies)

The workout with weights that I have been doing so far;
Standing Press (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Behind Neck Press (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Upright Rowing (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Curls (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Reverse Curls (barbell) - 3 sets of 5
Butterfly Curls (dumbells) - 3 sets of 5
Arm Extensions (dumbells) - 3 sets of 5
Squat with weight on shoulders (barbell) - 3 sets of 5

I have been doing the exercises with a weight that is not heavy for me but requires some energy,(i cannot remember the exact weight)
I plan to
increase the reps, to 8 then 10
then to increase the weight, but back to 5 reps

Is the workout i have set up good(and will i feel and see the results eventually), or are there some things i am doing wrong
and what could i do to improve. Any advice appricatiated.[/b]

Hi guys,

I'm new around here but thought I might throw my 2 cents worth in.

The main theme here seems to be about getting the calories in and such and that is all good. Pretty much all you can do in-season. The program you list is very imbalanced, and to be completely honest might make you feel and look better, but won't do much for your rugby or mass gains. Don't worry, there are plenty of high level players doing similar routines. It's hard to convince someone to follow a beneficial routine as opposed to one out of 'Flex' or "Muscle and Fitness'.

It's important to realize you won't make big gains in hypertrophy in-season. Rugby is an incredibly demanding sport on the CNS and studies have shown it takes up to 5 days to fully recover from a game. Given that in-season, you are essentially overtrained for the better part of the season, mass gains will be hard to come by.

That all said, the fact you are doing something in-season is excellent and holds you in good stead for the rest of your career. Gone are the days of not weight training in-season. Now you need to train smart to at least maintain the gains you made in the off-season. If my guys can keep their losses to 5% in-season, I'm stoked as the next off season they can then get up to 110-130% of where they were at the start of the season.

Good luck with your season.

Out of curiosity, how much weight should some being doing with exercises such as squats, bench, deadlifts, shoulder press, tricep pushdown.
For example I am 168lbs(76.4kg) and I squat 250lbs(113.6kg) for 5 reps for 3 sets, my bench is 155lbs(70.5kg) for 5x3, deadlifts are at 220lbs(100kg) for 8,6,5 shoulder press is 80lbs(36.4kg) for 7x2, and triceps are 60lbs(27.3kg) or 80lbs(36.4kg) for 8,6,6. My trianer puts the weights on for me and I'm not sure what she puts for the triceps.

I was wondering if these weights seem good, or if somethings to be improved. I find the bench to be very low. Just to add before I do the heavy weights I will do a very light set of 15-20 just to get that muscle ground going.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Hi guys,

I'm new around here but thought I might throw my 2 cents worth in.

The main theme here seems to be about getting the calories in and such and that is all good. Pretty much all you can do in-season. The program you list is very imbalanced, and to be completely honest might make you feel and look better, but won't do much for your rugby or mass gains. Don't worry, there are plenty of high level players doing similar routines. It's hard to convince someone to follow a beneficial routine as opposed to one out of 'Flex' or "Muscle and Fitness'.

It's important to realize you won't make big gains in hypertrophy in-season. Rugby is an incredibly demanding sport on the CNS and studies have shown it takes up to 5 days to fully recover from a game. Given that in-season, you are essentially overtrained for the better part of the season, mass gains will be hard to come by.

That all said, the fact you are doing something in-season is excellent and holds you in good stead for the rest of your career. Gone are the days of not weight training in-season. Now you need to train smart to at least maintain the gains you made in the off-season. If my guys can keep their losses to 5% in-season, I'm stoked as the next off season they can then get up to 110-130% of where they were at the start of the season.

Good luck with your season.[/b]

Great post. I'd like to know your thoughts on the bulk V strength debate of recent years in rugby. I'm very much in the latter group. I appreciate that simple physics dictate two bodies colliding at equal speed, the bigger one is going to come off best but do you feel it's really relevant for rugby? i look at the behemoths of England in recent years compared the the lean athletes of New Zealand. I focus my training with players on power and strength obviously dependent on position etc but I find the necessary mass tends to be gained anyway. Certainly some players benefit from adding a bit of lean muscle mass but I really think the body building routines for rugby players are contrindicated. Interested to know your professional opinion based on what you're doing in the SH. Still seems to be a body building mentality up north (in the UK at least)

Cheers

Might be late in posting this...but meh...

I do 3 sessions a week, as well as 2 training sessions. Granted I'm now in senior rugby but last year I was a colt so I'm only a few years between ahead of you. What I find is, that size is not important in ball carrying. Ok, I'm quite a big lad and it can be indimidating to see someone big running at you. But what is most important is strength and power. Do lower reps at higher weights, and focus on your chest, back, shoulder and quads. Don't mess about doing your arms. Look good, and by all means do it the end of your session (I always end with guns!!) but they are not important, espeically to a hooker. Ok, tricep extentions as that can help develop power in the throw, but do not spend an hour doing curls.

But it is absolutley essential as a front row and ball carrier, that you NEED to do core work. Without a core, a forward is nothing. It keeps you stable in the scum and contact and allows you to transfer your power and momentum effectivley. Planks are essential for this. Try doing a set of 1min, 45 seconds then 30 seconds inbetween sets of your weights. You'll soon notice a difference.

But as mentioned, if your determined to get bigger hypertrophy is the way to go. High reps, lower weights.

But I am a firm believer that power is key, espeically in a hooker.

Latest posts