• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canterbury Vs Waikato

A

ALLBLACKS

History is on Canterbury's side,but check out that Waikato Line-up they have all there ALL BLACKS back.Being a Canterbury supporter I hope Canterbury can succesfuly retain the shield.

Match preview: Canterbury vs. Waikato
15/09/2005
allblacks.com
4EB2958D-D988-FF3F-8BFD28B2E21B9639.jpg

Reuben Thorne to play Shield game - Photosport
Waikato has never successfully challenged Canterbury for the Ranfurly Shield. While, as holders, Waikato successfully defended against Canterbury (14-7) in the first ever Shield match between the two unions in 1981, the southerners have won all six Shield matches against Waikato in the time since. This includes twice beating Waikato to win the trophy in 1994 (29-26) and 2000 (26-18).

Waikato has also found Jade Stadium hard going in recent Air New Zealand NPC matches. After stringing together back-to-back wins in 1997 (24-18) and 1999 (20-6), Waikato has lost on its last two visits, including a 24-35 Ranfurly Shield loss in the corresponding game two years ago.

As well as winning 15 of the 24 NPC matches played between the two unions, Canterbury has also won four of the last five, with its sole defeat being a surreal 41-59 result at Hamilton in 2002 on a day when 13 tries were scored.

Canterbury skipper Reuben Thorne will return to duty after missing last weekend due to an on-going calf complaint, but the province is still without its large All Blacks contingent which could leave it vulnerable against a strengthened Waikato side.

Waikato treks south in need of a major boost after letting in 10 tries in dropping its last two matches, but its selection has undergone major change compared to the side that fought doggedly in a losing effort at Eden Park

Warren Gatland’s battle plans have been bolstered by the return of All Blacks Sione Lauaki, Jono Gibbes and Byron Kelleher after their international duty and injury breaks. Wing Sitiveni Sivivatu was also expected to take his place after missing last Saturday night’s match against Auckland.

The last time Waikato lost three Air New Zealand NPC matches in succession was five seasons ago, when Canterbury was one of the sides to beat them as they endured a flat end by dropping their final four matches of the year.

Teams
Canterbury: Ben Blair, Steven Yates, Casey Laulala, Caleb Ralph, Scott Hamilton, Cameron McIntyre, Andrew Ellis, Mose Tuiali'i, Johnny Leo'o, Reuben Thorne (captain), Kevin O'Neill, Craig Clarke, Campbell Johnstone, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett.
Reserves: Tone Kopelani, Greg Feek, George Naoupu, Hayden Hopgood, Jamie Nutbrown, Steven Brett, Vilimoni Delasau.

Waikato: Sosene Anesi, Richard Kahui, Keith Lowen, David Hill, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Stephen Donald, Byron Kelleher, Steven Bates, Marty Holah, Sione Lauaki, Sean Hohneck, Jono Gibbes, Deacon Manu, Scott Linklater, Philemon Toleafoa.
Reserves: Aled de Malmanche, Nathan White, Toby Lynn, Liam Messam, Brendon Leonard, Dwayne Sweeney, William Ripia.

lets GO WAIKATO!

they got there tribal chief back...i cant wait to see jono gibbes play!..he is the man and there allblacks are backing up.

good!..this is gonna be another one of those tight games...down to the last 15 or so minutes

im picking waikato to win and for sivivatu to put scott hamilton to shame..

having the AB's back will be vital to Waikato's chances. i rate them to take the Log of wood. the first NPC game ive actually looked forward to this year.

come on canterbury, its going to be close but i will be hoping they retain it. i am going to the auckland game at the end of the season down there and it would be a cracker if we still had the shield.

if i wasn't so far away i would be there this saturday night but its going to be a good game anyway

waikato are going at it think it was $3.50 to win it. if i were a betting man, i would put my money on waikato. get alot of money out of it

Originally posted by sambad5@Sep 16 2005, 03:53 PM
waikato are going at it think it was $3.50 to win it. if i were a betting man, i would put my money on waikato. get alot of money out of it
Oh man, I'm tempted.

Soseni, Kahui and Sivivatu vs Hamilton, Blair and Yates. Speed vs technique........should be interesting on the outsides to see which philosophy is stronger.

its the insides first mate...

donald has been going well!..he has been in consistant form and he OWNS mcintyre...laulala and ralph vs lowen and hill..pairs of powerful midfielders will be a good battle as all four are like over 100kilos and stand over 6'ft..all have been allblacks except hill..he was almost there one year

but its the forward battle!!!!!!!

lauaki vs tualii..woohhoooo

they have been in the same rep teams since highschool and both left auckland for greener and smellier pastures
both are about 6'4 and they are both damaging ball runners and big hitters

i cant wait to see tolafoa play again..
see if he can cement and a possible allblacks jersey against a top contender in campbell johnstone

this is the game of the week..woohoo
cant wait!

waikato by 15+

SIVIVATU gets the ball from halfway, jogs around hamilton, step...step leaves Blair clutching at straws...TRYTIME!!!!

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Sep 16 2005, 04:15 PM
its the insides first mate...

donald has been going well!..he has been in consistant form and he OWNS mcintyre...laulala and ralph vs lowen and hill..pairs of powerful midfielders will be a good battle as all four are like over 100kilos and stand over 6'ft..all have been allblacks except hill..he was almost there one year

but its the forward battle!!!!!!!

lauaki vs tualii..woohhoooo

they have been in the same rep teams since highschool and both left auckland for greener and smellier pastures
both are about 6'4 and they are both damaging ball runners and big hitters

i cant wait to see tolafoa play again..
see if he can cement and a possible allblacks jersey against a top contender in campbell johnstone

this is the game of the week..woohoo
cant wait!

waikato by 15+
Hill has been an All Black.

thanks for the correction and what year was this that hill made the abs?

that means everyone in the midfield are allblacks...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
ALL BLACK DEBUT
Tuesday, 13 November 2001
v Ireland 'A' at Belfast
aged 23 years, 105 days

ALL BLACK TESTS
0 (0 as Captain)

ALL BLACK GAMES
2 (0 as Captain)

TOTAL ALL BLACK MATCHES
2 (0 as Captain)

ALL BLACK GAME POINTS
0pts

TOTAL ALL BLACK POINTS
0pts

ALL BLACK NUMBER
1006[/b]

www.allblacks.com

seems like the cantabs are confidient or more concerned about the election. only 16,000 tickets had been sold by friday. maybe they vote labour down there who knows or maybe they are cocky and exepct victory against waikato and are saving their coin for the auckland game

dam!

hard luck waikato

woohoooo aucklands gotta chance to take back whats ours!!!

our ranfurly shield!!!
its payback time for the super12 clash that cantab whipped our asses..hahahaha

LETS GO AUCKLAND...one loss is the learning curve to success!

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Sep 18 2005, 01:33 PM
dam!

hard luck waikato

woohoooo aucklands gotta chance to take back whats ours!!!

our ranfurly shield!!!
its payback time for the super12 clash that cantab whipped our asses..hahahaha

LETS GO AUCKLAND...one loss is the learning curve to success!
Won't the shield belong to Wellington soon?

Gee those so called superstars out wide in Waikato didn't do what they needed to do.

Also................is Soseni a Samoan?

Yes he is GG, hes played for Samoa and NZ at sevens.. but not is in AB contention obviously (1 test)

That explains why even though he is fast he lacks that Fijian elusiveness.

Didn't Anesi play one test for the AB's.

Latest posts