• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cas trying to change the rules

M

MightyQuin

From BBC Site: Cas Bid for Super League Reprieve

Cas bid for Super League reprieve

Andrew Henderson and Castleford could stay in the Super League
Castleford are pushing for Super League to be expanded to 13 clubs for the 2007 season so they can avoid the drop.
"We have made representations to the RFL and we will speak to the clubs to see if it's a possibility," said Tigers chief executive Richard Wright.

"Rules are rules but there is an element of injustice here. We believe we are an asset to the competition."
[/b]

What the hell??!

If Quins or Wigan had finished bottom and requested the rules to be changed to make an exception for them not to relegated, the rugby league world would be up in arms about certain teams being above the law or have specials rules for them.

Because it's Cas though, it's OK for everyone to suggest relegation should be scrapped, and say how unfair it is that Cas have (probably!) been relegated. For Cas to complain now though, just smacks of sour grapes.

The last 6 or 7 weeks of this season have been really exciting at the bottom of the table for the supporters of the 5 clubs in the bottom half of the table, who were scrapping for every point - without relegation Saturdays game between Wakefield and Cas would have really low key, instead of which it was a very highly publicised and anticipated match.

The fact there probably should be 14 teams in SuperLeague, and the 26 matches then just made up by playing each other team home/away (rather than some teams 3 times) is irrelevant - they should have actually started introducing that this season when Catalan were added and two teams were relegated. I also agree that it's not conducive to bringing through local talent, when club's superleague status rides on the outcome of a single match.

But boy is it exciting!

Got to agree with you m8, if it was Wigan or Quins, there would have been murder!! also agree you with that it should be a 14 team league, its bloody stupid that certain teams play each other 3 times

Sorry Cas.

I wanted you to stay up, but this isn't acceptable. They weren't moaning about not having had the time or resources to prepare for Super League when they were 2 points outside the playoffs having just beaten Leeds where they?

They got relegated because they fell away. Their incompetence kept Wigan and Wakefield alive.

They still have a final straw to clutch at though - if Whitehaven win the div 1 playoff against Hull KR, Cas will stay in Super League as Whitehaven's ground didn't pass the entry criteria.

Whitehaven have to beat Widnes next week though to reach the final - but they seem to be playing well at the moment.

I'd be very surprised if Hull KR didn't win it. I think they're shoe-ins for promotion.

Latest posts