• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Celtic League agreement reached

E

el_tk

From scrum.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Celtic League agreement reached
17 Jun 2005 

The Scottish and Irish rugby unions have reached agreement with their Welsh counterparts over a future structure for the Celtic League.

Wales were expelled from the competition in acrimonious circumstances on May 31 after joining a new Anglo-Welsh Cup competition. The Anglo-Welsh Cup was designed to replace the Powergen Cup in the English domestic calendar but its creation required Welsh clubs being free of Celtic League fixtures for five weekends of the season.

This was objected to by Scotland and Ireland but the Welsh Rugby Union insisted they remained full committed to the Celtic League and agreement was reached at a summit meeting at Heathrow Airport today.

A statement read: ``As a consequence of a very positive and productive meeting in London today the Celtic League Association confirm that the three unions have reached agreement to accommodate the proposed Anglo-Welsh cup competition in the 2005-06 season.''

The expulsion of the Welsh regions had left them facing the possibility of just nine guaranteed fixtures per season. But the WRU believed a solution could be found by arranging fixtures in a certain way and having Welsh clubs play in midweek.

No details of the format of the competition have yet been given, although the Celtic League Association are planning to issue a further statement on Monday.[/b]

Good news for all involved

i am very glad to be honest - although i have had my doubts on the celtic league i think that it can if they work the fixtures in co - ordination with international fixtures be a success, im hoping though that it is more competitive this year than previous years.

To be honest, the WRU deserve a kick up the arse for messing everyone around.

Hey, Im not complaining, means I get even more of my Moneys worth out of the Rugby Channel... hopefully they do show all these extra games which appraently appear to be happening.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jun 19 2005, 12:36 AM
Hey, Im not complaining, means I get even more of my Moneys worth out of the Rugby Channel... hopefully they do show all these extra games which appraently appear to be happening.
you guys get a rugby channel?

<

<

<

<

i know - we need a rugby channel - we have a channel for everything
wine
horses
wrestling
game shows

but no rugby

Originally posted by Flamingo+Jun 19 2005, 06:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamingo @ Jun 19 2005, 06:52 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jun 19 2005, 12:36 AM
you guys get a rugby channel?

<

<

<

<
[/b]
Yep

Originally posted by el_tk+Jun 19 2005, 08:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (el_tk @ Jun 19 2005, 08:46 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-contepomi
@Jun 18 2005, 08:17 PM
Celtic League needs a new sponsor.
Any sponsor would do at this stage to be perfectly honest. [/b]
That's the point, they have never had one.

Have they?

Nope, I was thinking of offering them a couple of hundred euro to name the thing after me.

Yeah it is a bit of a relief alright, didn't fancy the thought of having to play the Borders, Edinburgh and Glasgow, 6 or 8 times in a season.

It would become a joke after a while wouldn't it.

Good they have sorted everything, well apparently.

Shame about the rugby channel thing aswell.

I want to know why there are racing channels, dog racing channels, food channels, FASHION channels, etc....but not the greatest sport in the world!!....

......egg and spoon racing...
<
<
<
<

Only joking, RUGBY of course.

Latest posts