• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Central Contracts

B

BobbyB

What do you guys think. There's a real problem at the moment brewing. And I think for the best of the national side England could do with doing what they do in cricket. Basically in Cricket , England pay a certain group of players wages so that England can use them when required. The coaches then allow the players to play for their counties.

No obviously England only tend to play in certain groups of matches , and unlike cricket its only going to be needed at tournements , ie the Six Nations and maybe the winter internationals.

This would solve the Club vs Country row with no problem. And England could the hold training camps aswell if they wanted.

that's an interesting thought, but i think the clubs would demand the pay from england to use the particular players.

and also pick up any insurance a player has on him, by if he gets injured they pay for it and pay the club the dues for the player being lost to injury

that's an interesting thought, but i think the clubs would demand the pay from england to use the particular players.

and also pick up any insurance a player has on him, by if he gets injured they pay for it and pay the club the dues for the player being lost to injury
[/b]

Atleast they'd be fit in the first place. And I'm sure that the ECB would have no problem paying the player insurance.

I think that clubs should just simply refuse to let players play for their countries - they could have this written into their contracts and give players the choice.

Most rugby players would simply refuse to sign that contract and find another club to play for. Those clubs that refused to allow players to play internationals would simply cease to exist as viable clubs and would be replaced by other clubs.

It is a huge benefit to a club to have international players playing for it. They bring in more fans, more money, more interest, prestige and also bring a high standard of ability to the team. They knew that when they sign a player who is likely to play for their country that they will be without their services during certain times. They also know that there is also a chance that the player may get injured during their service for their country.

I am sure that there could be a scheme in which a country like England could pay compensation for using players (and for when a player gets injured).

I have always thought that in the English Premier League there should be a foreigner tax (about 1% of the player's weekly wages for all non-UK players) and this is used as a fund to compensate clubs when a player plays for England. This would ensure that clubs that regulalry develop players for England get rewarded financially (and this would allow them to continue to develop English players) and the clubs that just get non-UK players actually have to pay for it. 1% is a tiny amount but would basically end clubs complaining that their players played too many international games.

I don't think we would be having this problem with central contracts if club weekends didn't fall on the same time as International weekends.

Just let the clubs work out how to replace the 50p they'd lose from cutting loose the EDF Cup and the Playoffs and we'd have the time left over for Internationals to have their own little space.

I think that clubs should just simply refuse to let players play for their countries - they could have this written into their contracts and give players the choice.

Most rugby players would simply refuse to sign that contract and find another club to play for. Those clubs that refused to allow players to play internationals would simply cease to exist as viable clubs and would be replaced by other clubs.

It is a huge benefit to a club to have international players playing for it. They bring in more fans, more money, more interest, prestige and also bring a high standard of ability to the team. They knew that when they sign a player who is likely to play for their country that they will be without their services during certain times. They also know that there is also a chance that the player may get injured during their service for their country.

I am sure that there could be a scheme in which a country like England could pay compensation for using players (and for when a player gets injured).

I have always thought that in the English Premier League there should be a foreigner tax (about 1% of the player's weekly wages for all non-UK players) and this is used as a fund to compensate clubs when a player plays for England. This would ensure that clubs that regulalry develop players for England get rewarded financially (and this would allow them to continue to develop English players) and the clubs that just get non-UK players actually have to pay for it. 1% is a tiny amount but would basically end clubs complaining that their players played too many international games.
[/b]

But surely that would just weaken the international team. And we really don't want that considering how bad it is at the moment.

And it wouldn't be for that long. Obviously the 6 Nations would take the players out for what 8 weeks (If you have some preparation at the start. Apart from that you have like the winter internationals. Thats it.

I do concede that having the likes of Wilkinson at Newcastle (Although he's never fit) would attract the fans.

no definately not. it leaves players fresh but lacking match practise as we have seen with the centrally contracted cricket team

it also leaves a pile of **** for a premiership

The English Game needs a complete overhall in structure and this is just some key points I would like to see...
  • A Better League Structure ie
    • Guinness Premiership
      • 12 Teams with 2 going down in relegation battle
      • No end of season Guinness Premiership Final
    • National League 1
      • More Sponsorship better management
      • 2 Teams go up from this league, to make it more competive
    • Another 2 Leagues below, for smaller clubs.
  • A Cup Competions
    • Scrap the Anglo Saxon Cup
    • Create a English Club Cup
      • Teams from GP and NL1 competing against each other.
    • European Cup
      • Structure Works well now
  • National Setup
    • No Club games during the Six Nations Period
      • No arguements over players commitments then
    • Central Contracts would seem to be a good idea
      • Works well in other countries
    • Better Training camps with a squad of 35 players
Well thats just a quick outline of what I think...

The English Game needs a complete overhall in structure and this is just some key points I would like to see...
  • A Better League Structure ie
    • Guinness Premiership
      • 12 Teams with 2 going down in relegation battle
      • No end of season Guinness Premiership Final
    • National League 1
      • More Sponsorship better management
      • 2 Teams go up from this league, to make it more competive
    • Another 2 Leagues below, for smaller clubs.
  • A Cup Competions
    • Scrap the Anglo Saxon Cup
    • Create a English Club Cup
      • Teams from GP and NL1 competing against each other.
    • European Cup
      • Structure Works well now
  • National Setup
    • No Club games during the Six Nations Period
      • No arguements over players commitments then
    • Central Contracts would seem to be a good idea
      • Works well in other countries
    • Better Training camps with a squad of 35 players
Well thats just a quick outline of what I think...
[/b]
Or, they could just have this guy sort it all out:
rupert_murdoch_150.jpg

Why Pay him more money when they could just pay me, I am cheaper than he is!!!

no definately not. it leaves players fresh but lacking match practise as we have seen with the centrally contracted cricket team

it also leaves a pile of **** for a premiership
[/b]

It would only be for the 6 Nations.

Although I do agree with Prestwick , if they structured the season better it would work much more easily.

<div class='quotemain'>
The English Game needs a complete overhall in structure and this is just some key points I would like to see...blah blah blah
[/b]
Or, they could just have this guy sort it all out:
rupert_murdoch_150.jpg

[/b][/quote]

Rambone.gif

I'd sort it out no worries. The only thing I'd need to be educated on is how to syphon money out of administrations....

Latest posts