• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Centre/back row

Fox98

Academy Player
Hi sorry for another position question.

I'm 20 now and this last few years I've kinda floated about between playing 7 and 12/13. I'd say my strengths as a player are at the breakdown, I've got good clean out skills and I'm strong over the ball. I'd say I've got good footwork and good acceleration as well so I'm able to break the line and I'd like to think I'm a strong tackler as well.

My problem is my size, I'm only 5'8/9 and around 95kg so I'm pretty short and stocky I guess. I've got goals to play 1st team at county level and I'd love to travel as well and play abroad. Which position do you think my size and strengths will give me the best chance to play at the higher levels.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Prob 13 or 7.
Leicester had a centre called Jack Roberts who was 1.73m and 91 KG.
With good footwork and acceleration.

What position do you enjoy the most because in reality if you don't enjoy it then you won't be playing to the best of your ability.

Granted I've never played at a high level at all. But I wouldn't worry about being too big or too small to play a position and just play the position you are best at/most enjoy. Despite looking like a prop Bastareaud played centre an international level. On the flanker front you have the likes of James Davies playing for Wales despite being a lot smaller than other contemporary flankers.

Chris Cloete is a flanker who plays for Muster and is only 5'9, he is an absolute unit though at 106kg.

In most cases,

10 Fly-Half (Stand-Off)
12 Inside Centre
13 Outside Centre

But in Aotearoa,

10 First Five
12 Second Five
13 Centre

What is the reason of this difference?

In most cases,

10 Fly-Half (Stand-Off)
12 Inside Centre
13 Outside Centre

But in Aotearoa,

10 First Five
12 Second Five
13 Centre

What is the reason of this difference?
...wrong thread?

to the OP, you got to go with which ever you're better at / enjoy the most, fitting the mold dosn't guarantee you do well, off the top of my head jamie mcintosh is a mountain of a man, couldn't ask for more physically...famously not as good a scrumager as he should have been

for myself, i played to club level in dunedin (briefly), im only 5'10" and 80-90kg but played hooker, i just found my style meant i could range like a loosie (rather than doing much clearout) and because i had two big props i could swing off their shoulders and strike the ball with both feet, half a dozen tighheads in one game makes people forget you dont fit the mold.

find which ever position lets you do your thing best

If your good at the breakdown, and quick off the mark, both are good traits for an openside. If your a strong tackler to then i dont see why you cant be a quality 7, you will always find players taller than you but a 7 isnt primarily a line out jumper or 3rd jumper as thats usually the 6. I used to play wing at 173cm and 80kg and moved to 6. But i was playing at a low level yet i managed and enjoyed the forwards so much more, choose a position that you want to play. Hell harry thacker is 174cm and 96kg so its not all about height. Hooker could be another option if you can throw

I haven't played at a high level, but I've always played openside or hooker and I'm 170cm and hover between 85kg and 90kg.

Personally I've found being fairly heavy but short is good for tackling and makes you comparatively hard to stop when carrying. Clearly, I'm never going to be the flanker that's the go to jumper in the lineout, but as others have said, that's not typically a massive issue for a 7.

Latest posts