• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup 2019/2020: Pool 2

Olly-I must admit it does feel like a bit of poetic justice for LCD being named MOM after all the dismissive things you said about him a couple of months ago.

You're still grinding that axe because I don't think he's the best hooker ever?
Sorry, but I still don't think he's better than Jamie George - "poetic justice" or not. If you wanna take that bitterness with you for the rest of your days, then so be it.

You're still grinding that axe because I don't think he's the best hooker ever born?
Sorry, but I still don't think he's better than Jamie George - "poetic justice" or not.

Im not asking you to think hes the best hooker ever born. but your comments regarding him were totally dismissive and belittling of him as a player.

Not really, pretty sure I just said he wasn't as good as Jamie George in any of the core facets of hooker play.
Which is both true and accurate.

Not really, pretty sure I just said he wasn't as good as Jamie George in any of the core facets of hooker play.
Which is both true and accurate.

Really, it was more than that, as someone called you out on your writings;
" but to flat out deny that there are aspects of the game where LCD is better is an uncharacteristically one-eyed assessment."

You also said
"Wanting to switch him out for a guy who's selling point is catching overthrown lineouts is madness."

Like i said ,dismissing him ,as a player.

Really, it was more than that, as someone called you out on your writings;
" but to flat out deny that there are aspects of the game where LCD is better is an uncharacteristically one-eyed assessment."

You also said
"Wanting to switch him out for a guy who's selling point is catching overthrown lineouts is madness."

Like i said ,dismissing him ,as a player.
giphy.gif

7zEp3LN.jpg

Was he a better option than George at the time? No.
Is he a better option now? No.

Is he the 2nd best hooker in the country? Yes.

You seem to think saying he shouldn't be starting for England = saying he's ****.
I stand by what I said: There's no area of hooker play where he beats George, and the only reason people were saying he should've started was because he scored a couple of jammy tries.

I accept that you think he shouldnt be starting for England, fair enough, but to say his selling point is catching overthrown lineouts ,is a little derisory to say the least.

I mean that was pretty clearly a pisstake, but realistically there's no other USP he has when compared to George and in the realms of being a starting front rower.
He's a little more dynamic on the carry and a little better at the ruck but neither of these carry anywhere near the weight of importance as scrum and lineout.

Putting emphasis on non-core skills is how you end up with your set piece getting torn to shreds and getting battered for 80mins in a world cup final (looking at you Mako).

I mean that was pretty clearly a pisstake, but realistically there's no other USP he has when compared to George and in the realms of being a starting front rower.
He's a little more dynamic on the carry and a little better at the ruck but neither of these carry anywhere near the weight of importance as scrum and lineout.

Putting emphasis on non-core skills is how you end up with your set piece getting torn to shreds and getting battered for 80mins in a world cup final (looking at you Mako).
Honestly i agree with you. I rate LCD highly and clear no 2 in England but he is number 2 atm behind George. I do rate Mako clesrly over marler though, core skills are important, Mako skillset, carry, workrate and ball handly on top form outway his scrum issues. But it was a mistake to play him vs SA. Most of the time though he wont dominate the scrum he will hold his own but not against a pack like SA.

Honestly i agree with you. I rate LCD highly and clear no 2 in England but he is number 2 atm behind George. I do rate Mako clesrly over marler though, core skills are important, Mako skillset, carry, workrate and ball handly on top form outway his scrum issues. But it was a mistake to play him vs SA. Most of the time though he wont dominate the scrum he will hold his own but not against a pack like SA.

First, second and third job of propping is the scrum I'm afraid.

The fourth job is not to forget the first three.

(Fifth is to finish the leftovers at the post-match meal)

A prop's bad scrummaging can very easily and single handedly lose you a game, regardless of how the rest of the team play. A prop's dynamism in the loose is never going to single handedly win you a game.

Bad scrummaging can lose a game yes and if playing a team known for dominant scrum or big pack then play the out and out scrummaging prop but against teams where you wont get dominated at scrum time then play the more mako style prop. I have seen mako play many games where he isnt beaten st the scrum and holds his own and thats where his other skills come good.

I totally get your points but mako is a good internstional level prop

A reasonable result for Glasgow, I didnt see them getting much change out of a decent pack although it looks La Rochelle maybe aren't busting a gut in this tournament.

Also, what the heck is the story with highlights in Youtube? I'm lying low trying to avoid the inevitable news that Benetton picked up a BP win to get their season on track, so that I can enjoy highlights with some suspense. They posted them punctually for the first week I think, but the last two have been horrifically late. It can't be a TV arrangement as Glasgow posted their own. It seems really amateur.

Right screw politics! Rugby only! Before anyone starts a BoJo or Brexit debate on here! :D

Much more important things going on anyway....

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE SALE SHARKS

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Jack Nowell
13 Henry Slade
12 Sam Hill
11 Ian Whitten
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White
1 Alec Hepburn
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Harry Williams
4 Dave Dennis (capt)
5 Jonny Hill
6 Dave Ewers
7 Jacques Vermeulen
8 Sam Simmonds

16 Elvis Taione
17 Ben Moon
18 Marcus Street
19 Jannes Kirsten
20 Don Armand
21 Jack Maunder
22 Gareth Steenson
23 Olly Woodburn

15.12.19_Exeter_Away_HCC_TeamNews_Insta.jpg

Weird side, half given-up and half first-choice
Yeah i actually thought Sale would go full strength as last ditch to get out of the pool, guess after losing last week they are prem focused.

So a win for Chiefs tomorrow almost guarentees they get through.
Will be
Chiefs 18
Glasgow 9

10 points available. Just hoping there isnt a Chiefs euopean implosion like usual.

Tough game vs sale but not their strongest side they're putting out and at Sandy park so im pretty confident.

So a win for Chiefs tomorrow almost guarentees they get through.
Will be
Chiefs 18
Glasgow 9

10 points available. Just hoping there isnt a Chiefs euopean implosion like usual.

Tough game vs sale but not their strongest side they're putting out and at Sandy park so im pretty confident.
You're good. Til you play us.

I only just clocked Redpath is at 15 - you're gonna cruise it.
As much as I think L.James is a way better centre, he's ddeeffiinnatteellyy a better option at 15 than Redpath and has actually played a decent amount there at senior level, last season. Don't think Redpath has played 15 since school level (which, I guess, isn't that long ago for him).

Be interesting to see if Tom Curtis gets some game time from the bench - only just 18 but supposedly the real deal. Gus Warr has looked pretty good in what little I've seen of him, too - apparently works a lot with Faf and I could definitely see his influence in Warr's play last season.

Latest posts