• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions cup as things stand coming into the final week.

It on Times and has been mentioned on OTB. Yes it's always been picked by EPCR or ERC before. However now it's said EPCR want to eliminate the loophole teams like Leicester, Toulouuse, Leinster and Racing may have had. This has been hovering few months but now will be interesting to see.
Also it is fair in some ways but I'm sure financial side has to be looked at too

"Its said" and "official rules" aren't the same thing. I've no problem either way tbh.

Interesting thing is, its unlikely but not inconceivable Leinster and Munster could finish 1st and 2nd seeds, win their quarters and end up looking to use the Aviva twice on the same weekend. I'd say a ground swap would be in order if that transpires.

"Its said" and "official rules" aren't the same thing. I've no problem either way tbh.

Interesting thing is, its unlikely but not inconceivable Leinster and Munster could finish 1st and 2nd seeds, win their quarters and end up looking to use the Aviva twice on the same weekend. I'd say a ground swap would be in order if that transpires.

Well it is on the official ruling but hasnt been 100% clarified.
Alpha has said money will win out and I'd say that will be what it'll come to. Money vs Principlw. And precedent will be set from there. If Leinster are allowed use Aviva then in your scenario both teams will use it. 1 on Saturday and Sunday

Fair to say qualifies 1 to 6 will be in no particular order.
Munster
Lienster
Clermont
Saracens
Wasps
And outcome of Toulouse v Connaught.
However 7+8 a number of strange results could see following.
Glasgow get 1 pt so 15.
Toulon get 0 so 15.
Scarlets get 5 so 15.
Montpelier get 4 so 15.
Casters get 5 so 15.
Exeter get 4 so 15.
Bordeaux get 5 so 15.
So a whole load of inter group and outer group tie breaker.
Or.
Glasgow get 2. 16 pts
Toulon get 1. 16 pts.
Montpelier get 5 16 pts
Exeter get 5 16 pts.
Again tie breakers in play.
Certainly not all done and dusted for week 6 however unlikely and shows that 15 points maybe enough for 2 teams.

I'm still bitter about the second Connaught game. Pretty much as a result of that, we're going to be facing probably Saracens away. Fantastic.

Actually I really wish all knock-out games were played at neutral venues. Would make it all far less predictable. It would also lessen the impact upon final group standings of certain teams (usually French) losing interest and throwing games in favour of domestic fixtures.

H,s post holds alot of credibility however revenue ease of access etc needs to be accounted for.
For me top 4 home QF.
Semi finals top seeds for group games left at SF home advantage.
This could be 5 v 8 and 6 v 7 however QFs play out.
Being top seeds should hold value.
As always my thoughts only.

H,s post holds alot of credibility however revenue ease of access etc needs to be accounted for.
For me top 4 home QF.
Semi finals top seeds for group games left at SF home advantage.
This could be 5 v 8 and 6 v 7 however QFs play out.
Being top seeds should hold value.
As always my thoughts only.

This is wrong for QFs top 4 get home advantage.
If in SF it's seed 1 vs seed 5 then seed 5 gets home advantage.

It was my thoughts only not what is in practice,I am reflecting what happens in NFL.
Ie.
Top seeds always have home advantage from any knock out stage so if you are number 3 seed and that is top seed left you have home advantage.
Just as 5 6 7 8.could be left after QF stage.
And I believe 1 plays 8 not 5 which 4 plays.

It was my thoughts only not what is in practice,I am reflecting what happens in NFL.
Ie.
Top seeds always have home advantage from any knock out stage so if you are number 3 seed and that is top seed left you have home advantage.

Im on about semi finals. If 1 plays 8 and sf would be vs winner of 5v4.
If 5 beat 4 then it'd be 1v5 with 5 being at home although much other scenarios too

Hm I think we should clear Salaries point's difference provided Toulon remember they used to be a good rugby team, we should beat out Clermont if Ex hold them bonus pointless, which I think they will as it'll be a dogfight. Leinster pretty likely to grab the top spot.
Hope we don't meet Leinster until the final. I want to go celibate for as long as possible so that when we blow our load on them Edinburgh is submerged many years before global warming gets to it.

Well we can agree that if it's an all Irish Final we should officially rename the tournament Heineken 'Luke Fitzgerald's career' cup sponsored by Heineken and Heineken light and Heineken.

Ie.

I think thats over rewarding the top seeded teams by getting 2 home ties in QF and SF.
OK , they get a home draw for QF but thats where any advantage should end.
If seed 8 beat seed 1 in QF it is a bit unfair that they should automatically get another away tie in SF.

I think thats over rewarding the top seeded teams by getting 2 home ties in QF and SF.
OK , they get a home draw for QF but thats where any advantage should end.
If seed 8 beat seed 1 in QF it is a bit unfair that they should automatically get another away tie in SF.

They don't that's the beauty. It gives even the lower seeds a big incentive

ECPR on Croker as a possible semi venue.
"It is very interesting and I certainly think that we should go for the best possible solution.

If you have an all-Irish semi-final and we knew there was demand for the type of crowd that would fill Croke Park, why wouldn't we?

I must tell you I haven't investigated it yet, but it certainly is an amazing place. If we could I think it would be a wonderful thing."
Croke Park hype train. All aboard choo choo, no foreigners allowed though.
350740.jpg

ECPR on Croker as a possible semi venue.
"It is very interesting and I certainly think that we should go for the best possible solution.

If you have an all-Irish semi-final and we knew there was demand for the type of crowd that would fill Croke Park, why wouldn't we?

I must tell you I haven't investigated it yet, but it certainly is an amazing place. If we could I think it would be a wonderful thing."
Croke Park hype train. All aboard choo choo, no foreigners allowed though.
350740.jpg

That pic = happiness!

"O'Driscoll running to the posts, he may be running towards the final".

Latest posts