• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup QF. 4 - Munster Rugby v Toulouse

JP went cross eyed when the RFU stuck their elite refereee certificate up his you know where.
Happy enough with the result but our performance must be better. We gave them too much hope. Hope has no place for away teams in Thomand Park. They come to Limerick, get clapped onto the field, get treated like dirt for 80 minutes unless they're kicking, lose valiantly and get clapped off. That's how it works.
We need better for a semi final.

- - - Updated - - -

Me comiserating Tolouse
skysports-rugby-jean-marc-doussain-toulouse_3921335.jpg

I also want to express my respect for Dussatoir. Anyone who knows how a rugby ball is shaped can see what a class act and credit to the game he is, God bless

Last edited:
I can't quote the statistics,and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Flood has played centre more than fly half, so to say that he's had plenty of opportunities at 10 is inaccurate. I don' t know what Mola and Elissalde's strategy has been with regard to selection for the backs but I don't think we know what their first choice is. Flood and McAllister who are known primarily as 10s have played centre alternating with Fickou, Fritz and David. Doussain, who for me is 9 has found himself more often than not at 10 with Bézy being the first choice 9 with Marques as back up, and we all know that Bézy's form has been in free-fall this season.
So in short, the coaching of the backs has been far from acceptable for a club of Toulouse's stature..
With regard to goal kickers, who are, Doussain, Bézy, Flood, McAllister, Marques and Fritz et al, which is all well and good as all are competent but none has had the luxury of a decent run of games with too much chopping and changing. Ok, players get injured and changes are forced, but surely not to this degree.
With regard to next season, I've not seen Holmes play so won't comment, but Dupont appears to be a hell of a player, although I've heard that there may be a clause in his contract that he wants European Cup rugby next season and if that's the case, he's better staying with Castres.

I have nothing to say about the result Munster were winners all day long, and deserved there win Toulouse did nothing really to worry the home side, my question is i know JP Doyle is an english nominated ref but born in Ireland and i think just a hint of an Irish accent (ha ha), how the hell did he get the game surely there must be either English Scottish or Welsh refs available. Apart from the Toulouse try which was forward i thought he did a reasonable job, just seems a little strange that he should get the game with an Irish home team.

Flood has ended up playing centre because he didn't cut it as flyhalf. Plain simple. A senior international with his experience shouldn't need several seasons to adjust. He needs to slot in and adapt quickly or else he's just going to play himself out which he did.

Flood came in as a 10 with his England credentials but didn't live up to it. This is what has caused the reshuffling in the backs division. If big game players don't deliver on their reputation then the headache is for the staff. Ellissalde has been stuck with 2 senior internationals like Flood and McAlister who are just not up to it.

There's been too many foreign oldies in the squad not delivering for a number of seasons. The best players in last 3 seasons have all been youngsters - Bezy Camara in 2015, Baille Tolofua Fickou this season.

The first starters at centre are long known: Fickou Fritz and David. The turnover is natural. It's a long season.

Mola is not even 2 seasons in the job. He's coaching players he didn't hire and most of the golden generation are gone or on their last season -Dusautoir Fritz and Lamboley are the last 3. He's been thrown in at the deep end while the political in-fighting over Bouscatel's succession went on. Hopefully we should have a new president next season.

Holmes is a good kicking flyhalf on his way from La Rochelle and has adapted well to the Top 14. I'm not obsessed with hiring a great 10. The playmaker in our rugby tends to be the SH. Bezy has not recaptured his form of 2015 so if we get Dupont it'll be a big bonus.

Last edited:
I have nothing to say about the result Munster were winners all day long, and deserved there win Toulouse did nothing really to worry the home side, my question is i know JP Doyle is an english nominated ref but born in Ireland and i think just a hint of an Irish accent (ha ha), how the hell did he get the game surely there must be either English Scottish or Welsh refs available. Apart from the Toulouse try which was forward i thought he did a reasonable job, just seems a little strange that he should get the game with an Irish home team.

Scotland can't produce any rugby refs for some reason. Our forte seems to be football managers, particularly from a certain area of Glasgow.

Watching that back the scoreline seriously flattered us. We defended when it counted thankfully, but we were ran at a lot.

No issue with Munster winning. My gripe is we didn't test them as we knew we could, with making so many basic errors. We were well in the game at HT. Senior players not showing up didn't help.

Yes it's a big score but we made it so easy. Doussain kicked possession directly back so needelessly multiple times when not even under pressure. Criminal stuff.

Munster coach described Toulouse as 'world class'!! Hilarious :D. It's only rugby and I Won't lose my sense of humour over it.

PS Ref was very average and struggling but didn't win it for Munster and gave us a try that wasn't.

Last edited:
Flood has ended up playing centre because he didn't cut it as flyhalf. Plain simple. A senior international with his experience shouldn't need several seasons to adjust. He needs to slot in and adapt quickly or else he's just going to play himself out which he did.

Flood came in as a 10 with his England credentials but didn't live up to it. This is what has caused the reshuffling in the backs division. If big game players don't deliver on their reputation then the headache is for the staff. Ellissalde has been stuck with 2 senior internationals like Flood and McAlister who are just not up to it.

There's been too many foreign oldies in the squad not delivering for a number of seasons. The best players in last 3 seasons have all been youngsters - Bezy Camara in 2015, Baille Tolofua this season.

The first starters at centre are long known: Fickou Fritz and David. The turnover is natural. It's a long season.

Mola is not even 2 seasons in the job. He's coaching players he didn't hire and most of the golden generation are gone or on their last season -Dusautoir Fritz and Lamboley are the last 3. He's been thrown in at the deep end while the political in-fighting over Bouscatel's succession went on. Hopefully we should have a new president next season.

Holmes is a good kicking flyhalf on his way from La Rochelle and has adapted well to the Top 14. I'm not obsessed with hiring a great 10. The playmaker in our rugby tends to be the SH. Bezy has not recaptured his form of 2015 so if we get Dupont it'll be a big bonus.

So we'll have to disagree with regard to Flood.
If I remember correctly, most of his games in his first season were not at fly half but at centre and that first season was promising until he was out injured (concussion?)
Sure, he came to the club as a reputable fly half who is equally comfortable at centre, and that maybe was his undoing not getting regular games at 10.
I think he's 31 now and if his contrast is not to be extended, then it will be a shame as he hasn't had the opportunities during his three seasons in Toulouse to play to his full potential.
This season is now over and the the younger players wil lnow have to pick up the mantle from the experienced players. It won't however, happen overnight and it'll probably take 2 or 3 seasons for Toulouse to get back to where their supporters expect them to be.

Biggest plus yesterday on rewatching this morning was how others stood up after our main leaders went. Donnacha Ryan showed his worth massively again yesterday. John Ryan was unbelievable and was his best game for Munster. Tyler really controlled it superbly and Zebo manned up.
It wasn't vintage but the result was brilliant. Sarries or Glasgow is huge challenge but I'd be confident we can win if we perform.

So we'll have to disagree with regard to Flood.
If I remember correctly, most of his games in his first season were not at fly half but at centre and that first season was promising until he was out injured (concussion?)
Sure, he came to the club as a reputable fly half who is equally comfortable at centre, and that maybe was his undoing not getting regular games at 10.
Agree to disagree on Flood. No personal vendetta from me though. Likeable man. Just looking at his on pitch contribution. Think he has 1 year left not sure exactly.

This season is now over and the the younger players wil lnow have to pick up the mantle from the experienced players. It won't however, happen overnight and it'll probably take 2 or 3 seasons for Toulouse to get back to where their supporters expect them to be.

Big ask. Don't know how much we can salvage with only 4 games left. Yes the rebuilding will take longer esp. since it's been delayed for so long. Hope Mola doesn't get the chop so early with Board looking for a scapegoat when Noves had a run for 2 decades. If Guy had been sacked after every bad run, our trophy cabinet would look like Racing's :p

THe Board is split now over Bouscatel's succession just like it was over Noves. Too much political in-fighting with 2 entrenched camps. Bad rippling effect on the team. The Board is the culprit when the ship needs steadying. Hopefully we'll have a resolution by next season or maybe earlier with Bouscatel being pushed out or retiring.
We'll have bite the bullet and trust the youngsters. I don't see any other way. I keep my faith in the club for our ability to producee quality players. Looking forward to the spring cleaning and new faces.

Last edited:
On the performance, I was impressed with the performance from 1-15. Standouts were John Ryan, Zebo, and Williams for me. Williams played his best ever game in a Munster jersey and must be the most drastically improved player in the nation this season.
We're drawing closer and closer to the fixture I have waited so many years for. Leinster v Munster: Heineken Cup final, the greatest game on turf and the only way Murrayfield will be filled for a final.

Agree to disagree on Flood. No personal vendetta from me though. Likeable man. Just looking at his on pitch contribution. Think he has 1 year left not sure exactly..

I think I read a few months ago that his contract comes to an end this season - but I can't say for sure. I don't believe these details can be seen on the club website.

On the performance, I was impressed with the performance from 1-15. Standouts were John Ryan, Zebo, and Williams for me. Williams played his best ever game in a Munster jersey and must be the most drastically improved player in the nation this season.
We're drawing closer and closer to the fixture I have waited so many years for. Leinster v Munster: Heineken Cup final, the greatest game on turf and the only way Murrayfield will be filled for a final.
The worst game to lose ever... I reckon we'll see you lot have it easy against our French brothers and only true rivals in the final. We're good enough to win this competition but I fear our habit of not playing 80mins will see us undone in Lyon.

Flood and McCalister....even on their worst days they are better than Doussain at 10. Even ignoring the mental demands of the position, his basic skills aren't up to playing there.

Latest posts