• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League Thread 2005-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

St Helens RLFC

Discuss the European Champions League in this thread, and bow down to your European Champions exclusively, here.

_41185639_carra.jpg

Yet again UEFA do Liberpool a favour with another easy draw for their third round qualifier, Sofia or Tirana in the third round for the Spanish Armada, well it could have been easier they might have got Shels, altough they still have a chance to get though next week, score draw will do the trick and then Rosenborg in the third round.

Safe to say we won't be seeing Celtic in Europe after their embarrassing display in Slovakia on Wednesday, proves already how good a manager Martin O'Neill really is if he could get the same team to a UEFA Cup final and the group stages of the Champions League.

Champions League third qualifying round draw :

Basle 1893 v Werder Bremen

Celtic/Artmedia Bratislava v Partizan Belgrade/FC Sheriff

Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter Milan

SHELBOURNE/Steaua Bucharest v Rosenborg

Manchester United v Debrecen/Hajduk Split

Malmo or Maccabi Haifa v Dynamo Kiev or FC Thun

Everton v Villarreal

Liberpool/Kaunas v CSKA Sofia/Dinamo Tirana

Sporting Lisbon v Udinese

Valerenga/FC Haka v Clube Brugge

Rapid Vienna/F91 Dudelange v Rabotnicki/Lokomotiv Moscow

Anderlecht/Neftchi v Slavia Prague

Trabzonspor/Anorthosis v RANGERS

Brondby/Dynamo Tbilisi v Ajax

Real Betis v Monaco

Wisla Krakow v Panathinaikos

Third qualifying round - First leg

Match kick-offs are listed in local time

09/08/2005

Man. United 20:05 Debrecen ---- 8:00pm BBC1
Everton 20:05 Villarreal --- 7:30pm ITV2
Wisla 20:45 Panathinaikos
Anorthosis 21:00 Rangers
VÃ¥lerenga 21:00 Club Brugge
Betis 22:00 Monaco

10/08/2005

Malmö 18:45 Thun
Brøndby 19:00 Ajax
Artmedia 20:00 Partizan
Anderlecht 20:30 Slavia
Basel 20:45 Bremen
Rapid 20:45 Lokomotiv Moskva
Shakhtar 21:00 Internazionale
Steaua 21:00 Rosenborg
Sporting 21:15 Udinese
CSKA Sofia 21:45 Liverpool

Third qualifying round - First leg

09/08/2005
Man. United 3-0 Debrecen
Everton 1-2 Villarreal
Wisla 3-1 Panathinaikos
Anorthosis 1-2 Rangers
VÃ¥lerenga 1-0 Club Brugge
Betis 1-0 Monaco
10/08/2005
Malmö 0-1 Thun
Brøndby 2-2 Ajax
Artmedia 0-0 Partizan
Anderlecht 2-1 Slavia
Basel 2-1 Bremen
Rapid 1-1 Lokomotiv Moskva
Shakhtar 0-2 Internazionale
Steaua 1-1 Rosenborg
Sporting 0-1 Udinese
CSKA Sofia 1-3 Liverpool

No real surprises on the cards from the first leg matches. thought Panathinaikos would have done better in Krakow, decent result from Inter in Donetsk considering the scalps they picked up there last season. Suppose if Bremen went out to Basel that'd be a slight shock but they have the away goal and should win the return leg.

We should be there now, but then again we should never have had to have been qualifying, the champions should be in automatically.

well you've only got yourselves to blame for not being good enough to finish ahead of such an ordinary side like Everton. If you look at the players that Liberpool have the least they should be doing is picking up the 4th champions league qualifier spot. Yes there's been injuries but every squad has had injury problems, you certainly wouldn't have won that champions league semi-final if Chelsea had been at full strength, I know it does no good to dwell on such matters and Liberpool fans won't give a crap but it's true imo.

Anyway second leg against Sofia should be a formality.

That was close to being a full strength Chelsea team. We beat them, and we deserved to beat them. We took our chance, they didn't take theirs, therefore we deserved to win.

OK it wasn't a full strength Chelsea team, no Robben, Duff, Bridge, Fereira, it wasn't even a goal, Sky proved that, but as I said it's all irrelevant now.

The Champions League should really only be open to the top team from each league. Maybe if they need a bigger competition the second side from each league should go through qualifying. Also smaller teams should not be discriminated against.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Aug 14 2005, 07:55 PM
OK it wasn't a full strength Chelsea team, no Robben, Duff, Bridge, Fereira, it wasn't even a goal, Sky proved that, but as I said it's all irrelevant now.
Robben played! Bridge not playing is a bonus and the others were long term. With the money they have Chelsea should not have a problem with injuries.

As far as the goal - fine, no goal. But send Cech off and give Liverpool a penalty in front of the Kop with 4 minutes gone.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Aug 15 2005, 09:38 AM
But send Cech off and give Liverpool a penalty in front of the Kop with 4 minutes gone.
Actually no, it should have been a free again Baros for a high foot.

Disagree with that totally, but at the end of the day, we're the champions, and that's that, as you've already said.

Draw for the group stages has been made in Monaco, certainly drawing up some interesting groups. Milan and Real Madrid seem to have got the toughest groups. The English clubs have avoided any real headaches, Liberpool Chelsea matches should be good alright but both will qualify so they won't be do or die like the semi-final last season.

Group A
Bayern Munich
Juventus
Club Brugge
Rapid Vienna

Group B
Arsenal
Ajax
Sparta Prague
FC Thun

Group C
Barcelona
Panathinaikos
Werder Bremen
Udinese

Group D
Manchester Utd
Villarreal
Lille
Benfica

Group E
AC Milan
PSV
Schalke 04
Fenerbache

Group F
Real Madrid
Lyon
Olympiacos
Rosenborg

Group G
Liverpool
Chelsea
Anderlecht
Real Betis

Group H
Inter Milan
FC Porto
Rangers
Artmedia Bratislava

Well, things get underway tonight with these fixtures:

UEFA Champions League
AC Milan v Fenerbahce, 19:45
Artmedia Bratislava v Inter Milan, 19:45
Chelsea v Anderlecht, 19:45
Lyon v Real Madrid, 19:45
Olympiacos v Rosenborg, 19:45
PSV v Schalke 04, 19:45
Rangers v FC Porto, 19:45
Real Betis v Liverpool, 19:45

I'll be sitting at home in my FC Thun shirt, supporting them against Arsenal tommorrow.

I'm not kidding either, I really do have one...

fcthun-thuis.gif

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Aug 26 2005, 09:11 AM
Group of death.

Fix, imo.
Group of death my arse, already 2-0 up in Betis with the reserve team out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts