• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

changing from the forwards to the centres

i love everything about playing prop except the lack off ball carrying that really annoys me guess im just greedy :)

I get that, i love carrying the ball too, however you can become a ball carrying prop (along the likes of Mark Allen).
Just requires increased mobility.

i was thinking that i might like to try out playing in the backs next season
i played 8 last year and im playing loosehead/hooker this year since it was the only way i could get into the team above.

next year i want to play in the centres at U17 level

im currently
5'10
12 stone (light weight for a front row i know)

although im quite slow i have okay hands. i think my main attribute is my hand off. I'm a decent takler however every so often i do get stepped.

im still growing and so by next season il probably be 13 stone and 5'11. I've done a fair amount of strength training to help bulk/strengthen up for playing front row this season so im not worried about my strength just my lack of pace. I'll probably be doing sprint training once a week in the summer how much will this help?

in conclusion should i bother trying to convert to a centre or should i just go back to playing flanker/8??

just watch any england games from the last 5 years and you'll see how forwards become centres.

you try standing up holding 130 kgs and saying it doesnt work your core

Im sorry but i think the deadlift is the best exercise a rugby player can do since it works your legs (when you straighten them whilst holding the bar) it also works your core extreamly well probably second only to squats. Deadlifts also work ur whole back expecialy your traps which are essential for scrummaging at prop

I agree that the deadlift is a valuable tool for any contact sport. The "power clean" is also a great exercise to build overall explosion.

im actually at U16 level some schools in england for example wellington college encourage weights from an even lower age.

anyway goota make up for may lack of co-ordination some how :)

It's totally fine to work out as early as 12 as long as you're not going too heavy. My brother-in-law is 16 and shattered his wrist overtraining...and he weighs 20 stone...lol.

Latest posts