TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
So, have my fellow compatriots watched the first episode of Chasing the Sun this past Sunday?

What were your thoughts on that episode?

I have to say, anyone who didn't like Rassie, must have fell in love with him after that first episode.

I watched it and loved the professional way it was done. It's about time that the Springboks got the proper documentary treatement. love the style. This will help with the Springbok lore in the future.
It's awesome that they have this footage for such a great time in our history rugby wise, we are in for a treat.

I felt they overplayed transformation in the documentary, not only in the narrative but also in their selection of commentary. It's clear that SARU issued this directive, which came from government and I understand that the first episode was how Rassie took ownership of this directive. But the documentary had an almost absolute focus on transformation, even so far as making 95% of the commentators black, then focusing on Gwijo squad supporters, looking at the townships and Siya. As if that's all the Springboks are about. We are much more of an intricate team then a team focusing on one element such as transformation for it to really be the focus of a whole episode.

I saw no message of our diverse culture being incorporated, people from the townships to the city from stellenbosch schools to Soweto schools for that matter. I saw no recognition that the Springbok is 100 year old brand with traditions, history and culture. No recognition of famous stalwarts such as Jan Ellis, Danie Craven, Corné Krige and Victor Matfield for a recent name.

In short i feel the first episode was almost to portray that the Springboks are currently what they aim to be in the future, that they are a team that represents a black majority country with a black majority team, and a black majority fanbase.

While the players are starting to reach those transformation targets, the fanbase is still what it traditionally has been. But it's not made out to be like that in the docu. That to me feels like the documentary might be a little disengenous particularly if it continues with this trend in the next few episodes. A admittedly well done visualisation of what we want to be but not what we are. With the revelation of what the MultiChoice CEO said to Jurie Roux on that beach about what the Boks must become , it feels like they (multichoice, DStv) want to use this documentary to come across as the heroes for transformation, and to build, and to infuse that into their making of the documentary. Almost a self pat on the back.

Maybe I am just insecure that me, and people like me are left out of the Springbok supporter narrative and history, like we did not exist and have not been part of the fan culture that has driven the Springboks to its current high standards, whole households across the country raising their kids with a love for the Springboks, with absolute dedication to the team, drilling their kids from a young age to one day be able to play for them. A boy like Pollard who was trained from a small age to win a world cup for the Springboks.

Last edited:
I watched it and loved the professional way it was done. It's about time that the Springboks got the proper documentary treatement. love the style. This will help with the Springbok lore in the future.
It's awesome that they have this footage for such a great time in our history rugby wise, we are in for a treat.

I felt they overplayed transformation in the documentary, not only in the narrative but also in their selection of commentary. It's clear that SARU issued this directive, which came from government and I understand that the first episode was how Rassie took ownership of this directive. But the documentary had an almost absolute focus on transformation, even so far as making 95% of the commentators black, then focusing on Gwijo squad supporters, looking at the townships and Siya. As if that's all the Springboks are about. We are much more of an intricate team then a team focusing on one element such as transformation for it to really be the focus of a whole episode.

I saw no message of our diverse culture being incorporated, people from the townships to the city from stellenbosch schools to Soweto schools for that matter. I saw no recognition that the Springbok is 100 year old brand with traditions, history and culture. No recognition of famous stalwarts such as Jan Ellis, Danie Craven, Corné Krige and Victor Matfield for a recent name.

In short i feel the first episode was almost to portray that the Springboks are currently what they aim to be in the future, that they are a team that represents a black majority country with a black majority team, and a black majority fanbase.

While the players are starting to reach those transformation targets, the fanbase is still what it traditionally has been. But it's not made out to be like that in the docu. That to me feels like the documentary might be a little disengenous particularly if it continues with this trend in the next few episodes. A admittedly well done visualisation of what we want to be but not what we are. With the revelation of what the MultiChoice CEO said to Jurie Roux on that beach about what the Boks must become , it feels like they (multichoice, DStv) want to use this documentary to come across as the heroes for transformation, and to build, and to infuse that into their making of the documentary. Almost a self pat on the back.
Well, it was just the first episode. And that Episode was a tribute to Kaunda Ntunja. The documentary is about the journey the Springboks took from Rassie's appointment up to us winning the World Cup. And Transformation was indeed a big part of the journey. Of course they are going to have an episode about it. It is one of the major talking points is SA Rugby. I'm actually glad they used the black springbok players in that episode and mentioned that they weren't picked on merit in the past. That to me is a big middle finger to the SA Government. It showed that Rassie knew that the selection of players based on skin colour, will be an issue for the government, So what he did, was to take that thorn in his side, and remove it from the equation, to get that monkey off his back.

I actually enjoyed the snippet about that first game where Kolisi was picked as captain, and the part where Kaunda talks in Xhosa as the players ran onto the field against England in 2018.

Will it be shown on UK tv or the internet? Will it be released on Blu Ray? (the UK has the same region code as South Africa?)

You all probably saw this documentary when it aired on on ESPN, but if not you can watch it anytime on demand on ESPN+. I enjoyed it so much that I watched it twice.

30 For 30: The 16th Man
One year after apartheid ended, South Africa played host to the 1995 Rugby World Cup. The 16th Man is a story of a nation rallying around its beloved sport.

Will it be shown on UK tv or the internet? Will it be released on Blu Ray? (the UK has the same region code as South Africa?)
I think it will be aired abroad after the 5 episodes premiered in South Africa.

I also don't know if they'll release it as Disc compilation, as it's a Supersport production.

If I see anything about this, I'll let you know.

I think it will be aired abroad after the 5 episodes premiered in South Africa.

I also don't know if they'll release it as Disc compilation, as it's a Supersport production.

If I see anything about this, I'll let you know.

Cheers mate. If needs be I can get it shipped over from family in South Africa. However Amazon are surprising good at getting things. They managed to source Miracle Men the day after it came out in South Africa

Cheers mate. If needs be I can get it shipped over from family in South Africa. However Amazon are surprising good at getting things. They managed to source Miracle Men the day after it came out in South Africa
Well if you have family in SA, and they have a showmax account, maybe you must ask them for their login details, and then you can stream it right now...

Well if you have family in SA, and they have a showmax account, maybe you must ask them for their login details, and then you can stream it right now...

Haven't thought of that!

I actually watched it last night on Youtube, was very impressed. Thought that Transformation was dealt with well, making it clear that winning was still the most important thing

episode 2 was great. Mapimpi is such a cool, chilled guy very nonchalant with a sad back story. Its awesome to get this kind of access to the changerooms Rassie and his assistants did not mince their words. I can only imagine how it would have been a great change form Alistair Coetzee who was probably introverted for a coach.
Then top notch insights into how the players are behind the scenes. For example Eben Etzeneths idiosyncrasies in the show gives away lots about his personality.

episode 2 was great. Mapimpi is such a cool, chilled guy very nonchalant with a sad back story. Its awesome to get this kind of access to the changerooms Rassie and his assistants did not mince their words. I can only imagine how it would have been a great change form Alistair Coetzee who was probably introverted for a coach.
Then top notch insights into how the players are behind the scenes. For example Eben Etzeneths idiosyncrasies in the show gives away lots about his personality.
Yeah, enjoyed that episode so much. Also loved that part where Rassie told Jacques to tell the guys to go for the losing bonus point against NZ, and then asking him what they said to him in response.

Rassie particularly has been such an awesome guy to watch in this series, and that there is no censor or filter in the way he speaks to the players or the people doing the documentary. If you didn't love the guy already, this documentary will make sure you do.

Also loved that part with Vincent Koch and Schalk Brits, and Faf wanting a beer while sitting in the ice baths.

Links are hard to find, if you find please post.

Im using Showmax and DSTV catchup to watch but its soooo bad, their buffering is just so bad I wish there is more of those Google drive links so you can watch it with their buffering technology.

Links are hard to find, if you find please post.

Im using Showmax and DSTV catchup to watch but its soooo bad, their buffering is just so bad I wish there is more of those Google drive links so you can watch it with their buffering technology.

I've not had any buffering issues with the Showmax version.

But I think the guys abroad should just hang tight a bit, as I saw from a friend who lives in the Netherlands that they will be able to watch it soon on ATT.

I guess the other broadcasters are in the process of making plans with Supersport to broadcast this series after this Sunday's finale.

The last episode was just great.

Rassie: "The move was actually just called, the move".

Haha, guess it's better than "let's do the appel" like Victor Matfield said in the 2007 World Cup Final...

These are links from someone else i take no credit just sharing to our foreign friends. These links might be broken momentarily its because too many people are trying to watch it. If you cant watch it the just wait a few hours and try again, you need to wait for googles viewership limits to reset. It usually happens in a 24 h cycle

Chasing the sun Episode 1 - 212MB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11P4HccAt1HCYJbbT-XSoxSZuuZC0nEHi/view?usp=sharing

Chasing the sun Episode 2 - 497MB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WUpWVeNPGHEpvU5xs3nhG9eoQIsZ-GS3/view?usp=sharing

Chasing the sun Episode 3 - 435MB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jQZxEX5YVtipkLQvpNrtMIQJsy7IYxE_/view?usp=sharing

Chasing the sun Episode 4 - 303MB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1obFs27bJbbKkr2aAVKrSzdAkzb4NLQHo/view?usp=sharing

Episode 5 mediafire

Episode 1-5

Thanks for sharing @unrated! Only episode 5 on Mediafire still seems to work here in The Netherlands. Any idea how to get the to first 4 episodes?

Latest posts