• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cheating in Rugby

I dont think penalty try is the way to go, we dont want to scare the contest at a breakdown away from the game and having such a drastic consequence for what is a minor indescrestion could do that.
The problem as I see it is how often do people infringe at this point in the game? Very rarely will you see a passage of play at this point where a defending player does not slow down the ball in anyway shape or form. Thus stopping quick ball and try scoring opportunity. In turn this leads to the boring pick up and drive technique teams so often use instead of flinging it out to the backs.

We shouldn't be worried the breakdown contest being not contested but the fact try's aren't being scored because of it.

Penalty try's will lead to more try's scored in open play instead of penalty kicks.

The problem as I see it is how often do people infringe at this point in the game? Very rarely will you see a passage of play at this point where a defending player does not slow down the ball in anyway shape or form. Thus stopping quick ball and try scoring opportunity. In turn this leads to the boring pick up and drive technique teams so often use instead of flinging it out to the backs.

We shouldn't be worried the breakdown contest being not contested but the fact try's aren't being scored because of it.

Penalty try's will lead to more try's scored in open play instead of penalty kicks.

Teams resorting to pick and drive I dont think has a correlation with teams defence. Its just having a stong player with a running start has a higher percentage chance of scoring than passing it wide.

Whats wrong with penalty kicks anyway? Personally if it meant Wales/Bristol won by just penalties or DG's I wouldnt mind in the slightest.

Teams resorting to pick and drive I dont think has a correlation with teams defence. Its just having a stong player with a running start has a higher percentage chance of scoring than passing it wide.

Whats wrong with penalty kicks anyway? Personally if it meant Wales/Bristol won by just penalties or DG's I wouldnt mind in the slightest.

People find it boring. Well. Some people. I do sometimes.

I personally don't want to see stronger sanctions coming from a ref until I trust the ref to get it right.

I also don't think you'll see teams throw it wide up close if they know all they have to do is pick and drive until someone makes a mistake and they get a penalty try. Particularly as throwing it wide = depth = moving the ball out of the 5m zone. Orrr, even better, set up endless mauls

p.s. definition of cheating I've been using = an action that deliberately and knowingly infringes the laws.

Latest posts