• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Check this out <- - - Click Here

R

Ripper

History Essay I had to do for homework on the European State System 1815-1856... Feedback would be helpful

Essay Topic :

"Describe the background and outcomes of an event that affected the lives of ordinary people"

"How did an historical force or movement related to this event have an influence on ordinary people's lives at this time?"

741 Words of Pure Awesomeness (Target was 600-800 words)

The influence of nationalism was evident throughout the European States System from 1815 - 1856 and severely affected the lives of ordinary people in 1830 as the Belgium revolt occurred, brought about by extremists inspired by the revolutions in Paris - "When Paris sneezes, Europe catches a cold" - Metternich.

The huge fears of the great powers of French expansionism resulted in the formation of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to act as a buffer state.  This new Kingdom would be ruled under the house of Orange with William I as its King.  The Kingdom would include the old Austrian Netherlands, the Dutch Republic and Luxemburg.

Nationalist extremists were already planning a revolution, inspired by the revolutionary actions in Paris, but the main driving force would appear from young students on the 25th August 1830 after seeing an anti-Dutch opera.  They quickly overran Brussels and seized all the important buildings in the area.

The reactionary Czar Alexander immediately responds by sending a Russian army to crush the uprising but was disrupted and forced to abandon the attempt as a revolution began to emerge in his own country.

On the 27th August a National assembly was formed in Belgium, declaring Belgium independence on the 4th October.  Louis Phillipe promptly recognises the independence of Belgium.  The other great powers immediately stepped in, concerned about the quick reaction of the French and the ideas of French expansion in the area.  The great powers formed a compromise which would include the guarantee of the Great Powers recognising Belgium’s neutrality and independence (to prevent French expansion), Luxemburg would not be included into Belgium (a driving force in the revolution due to it's predominately catholic religion) it would take away half of the Kingdoms national debt and a king acceptable by the Great Powers would need to be selected.

However, the compromise immediately became in danger.

The Belgium’s offer the crown to Louis Phillipe's son, resulting in a large fear of the potential of French sovereignty in Belgium from the Great Powers.  Louis was in a troubled position, as he didn't want to look weak to his people by refusing the crown or annoy the other Great Powers by accepting it.

However, an opportunity arose when William I refused to accept the proposal and moved his loyalist army against Belgium.  Louis quickly responded by sending a French army to protect Belgium in the name of the Great Powers, easily repelling William while also declining the crown.  This pleased the other Great Powers, showed no weakness to his people by sending an army and was favoured by the Belgians for protecting them.

Eventually a suitable king was found with Leopold of Saxe Coburg Gutha (widower of Princess Charollete, Daughter of George IV and Uncle of Queen Victoria).  The final agreement was settled with the Treaty of London in 1839.

The Life’s of ordinary people at this time were severely affected by this nationalist movement as it completely modified their way of living by removing the injustices imposed on them as part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

These injustices included the dominance of Official Positions held and favoured by the Dutch.  This also extended to the Government where the laws past hindered the Belgium agricultural industry while supporting the Dutch commercial industry.  The Dutch government added to this by importing wheat rather than utilising the Belgium agricultural products resulting in economic hardships for the Belgian people.  The official language of the Kingdom was Dutch and the Belgian people were again forced to change their lifestyle and culture to suit the Kingdom.  Finally, the predominately Protestant religion of the Dutch was favoured over the majority of the Catholic Belgians.

The uprising and independence of Belgium resulted in a sudden change in the lives of ordinary people in Belgium as a new government was formed to set laws that encourage growth in Belgium and supported the lifestyle the ordinary people of Belgium wanted.  They no longer suffered the restrictions imposed on them by the Dutch and lived a much better life.

The nationalist revolution that occurred in Belgium on the 27 August 1830 was an event that showed the strong nationalist movement sweeping Europe.  This movement resulted in the significant change in the ordinary Belgian peoples life by removing the restrictions and injustices imposed on them and creating a government and country that support their preferences and needs in order to give them a better standard of living and lifestyle
[/b]

Its seems alright at a quick glance cockle, I will cast my eye over it when I get back from driving lesson and look for spelling etc.

Mate is this the **** that the powers that be in the Great NZ social welfare state are making you learn?

For real?... look don't get me wrong - that's a good effort about historical events that have shaped the world as we know it but man... for real?

Ok... good portrayal of content (regardless of the subject matter) and a clean delivery, but watch your wording on this bit...

"The uprising and independence of Belgium resulted in a sudden change in the lives of ordinary people in Belgium as a new government was formed to set laws that encourage growth in Belgium and supported the lifestyle the ordinary people of Belgium wanted. They no longer suffered the restrictions imposed on them by the Dutch and lived a butch better life."

You need to fix that up before you submit and also flesh it out... if you make a statement back it up with a least one example of how this was achieved... people that mark exams will be looking for it (and sadly they are only dickheads so don't expect them to be bright... spell it out simple and slow and you can't go wrong).

Good work all in all, be careful though... if you are going to make a statement that represents a fact you want to back it up with an example that enforces your opinion.

The sad thing is... is that the subject matter that NZ youth is judged upon? shithouse... they gave me the NZ Social Welfare state and there of... the destruction of the Kiwi identity in the world economy.

Bad luck ripper, the good news is though... one day it's over and you get to prove yourself in more rewarding areas.

Yeah, when I type I usually type to fast for my own good and make basic errors. What you said about backing it up is true as well, thats what cost me excellence in Level 1 History. I would get 2 out of the 3 criteria at Excellence level, but the lack of support evidence stuck me at Merit at best.

On the subject, it could be worse. Some of the other **** the school could be doing include NZ Woman and the Health system and Maori Soverignty 1984 - 2002. Would rather we did something interesting like the American Revolutionary War or Ireland some year ages ago - 1922.

Although the European State System is boring as ****, we get to do Nam next, which means we get to watch Platoon and Apocalypse Now, we then end the year with a bang with a term and a half of Revolutionary Leadership in Sovet Russia - 1917 - 1951... oh joy.

I only do History because the Teacher gets so easily sidetracked, more iPod time then anything.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 7 2006, 09:34 PM
Its seems alright at a quick glance cockle, I will cast my eye over it when I get back from driving lesson and look for spelling etc.
you dont know how to drive???...arent u like 30 years old

anyway...gud **** ripper,thats pretty neat for a 5 year old..although id expect it from someone born with a silver spoon in his ass..i mean mouth

i did 2 essays/school projects for history in 4th form...about the irish and the whole catholic/protestant beef and the jo stalin era,got my lv 1 history done n dusted...i aced them,but damn forgot everything about the whole assessment

I only do History because the Teacher gets so easily sidetracked, more iPod time then anything. [/b]
well the main reason i passed my history classes was becoz of my teachers attitude..great sense of humour and he had a passion for history...everytime he spoke in lessons he would fully indulge emself into his words and bring the class to life...quite possibly my best teacher,one of the few teachers i naturally feel sorry for with the **** pay package they get..including gg

get him to rate this ripz

Meh, my history teachers like that, hard liners would say he's a bad teacher because he doesn't just spend all day reading out of a text book (Which when we do, he usually finds a bunch of flaws and just tells it from his head, and 95% of the time his head is right) and making us write notes, but it's no coincidence that his history classes usually have more passes and higher pass grades then the other History teacher's class.

Originally posted by Chiro the Practor One Zero One
anyway...gud **** ripper,thats pretty neat for a 5 year old..although id expect it from someone born with a silver spoon in his ass..i mean mouth

What's that supposed to mean.

Still a bit late to start, how many tests have you failed/old ladies ran over?

BM

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Apr 8 2006, 10:12 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-THE CHIROPRACTOR101
@Apr 7 2006, 02:37 PM

you dont know how to drive???...arent u like 30 years old

:mellow:

Try 21! [/b]
You better not be paying or this driving lesson. If you are, that is a major waste of money.

Come on I'll teach you. It's simple really.

Oh, and ripper, good work blah blah, I didn't read all of it... History was never my thing anyway. Good though...

Oh yeah, got Excellence... Now I get a certificate in front the whole school assembly... woot.

It is? The whole school just glaring at you, since because of you being a little smartarse they have to wait for you and the other geeks to walk across the stage getting your awards before they can be set free and go to interval.

Originally posted by Ripper@May 3 2006, 06:34 PM
It is? The whole school just glaring at you, since because of you being a little smartarse they have to wait for you and the other geeks to walk across the stage getting your awards before they can be set free and go to interval.
Hell yeah!!

those are the type of kids we hang from the rugby post..and see if we can drop kick the ball on the groins

closest gets 10points

Well written, nearly forgot you were only expected to write 600-800 words and thought it was a bit short. Good piece though, reads well and links together quite nicely.

Can see the point about some of the syntax and grammar but I'm not a teacher so that's being too picky.

Nice one on the mark though. :bravo:

Yeah, these practice essays are always reasonably short, got a long Economics Assignment coming up in a week where in the end I'm supposed to survey 50 people, then do a 1500 word investigation on it, so that should keep me amused for a while... Good thing Chili Peppers have released that new album.

Originally posted by Air Head
History is f***ing boring.

Then don't do it.

History > Guitar.

minus doing assignments and actual work, i found history as one of my favorite studdies. but for obvious reasons i only did history in 5th form. theres not enough historic gingas...

Originally posted by Air Ben@May 4 2006, 12:19 PM
History is f***ing boring. :zzz:
History is class. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Latest posts