• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chicago Blackhawks parade

M Two One

Tra la la la
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
2M+ crowd downtown for Blackhawks party

With a 49-year Stanley Cup drought finally over, the City of Chicago estimated over 2 million ecstatic Blackhawks fans basked in the glory of the hockey championship today, creating a sea of humanity for a championship parade and rally that filled Chicago’s most-storied street for blocks.

“It’s been a long time between drinks,†team owner Rocky Wirtz told the assembled mass jamming Michigan Avenue, just south of the Chicago River. “From our family, the Wirtz family . . . thank you from the bottom of our heart We’ll see you again.â€

Mayor Daley introduced Wirtz at the rally, saying: “Thank you Rocky for providing the Stanley Cup championship right here in the city of Chicago.â€

Said Wirtz: “Thank you, Mr. Mayor. You throw one hell of a parade.â€

Fans showered the Hawks with love from the start of the parade route at the United Center all the way to the rally site. A convoy of trolleys led the way, followed by double-decker buses filled with players.

The buses reached the Michigan and Wacker rally site around 11:30 a.m. City officials had said an estimated 350,000 people were expected to attend. Mid-rally, the city changed that number to “over 2 million.â€

Fire Dept. spokesman Larry Langford said 125 people were treated for heat problems amid the 80-degree and humid day, and 50 were hospitalized. None of the injuries was said to be serious.

From the stage, former Hawk and current broadcaster Eddie Olycyk, serving as emcee, introduced each of the Hawks’ coaches and players. Drawing some of the largest cheers was multiple playoff-game-winning-goal-scorer Dustin Byfuglien, long-suffering star Marian Hossa and hero goalie Antti Niemi.

Source: Sun Times Media
With over two million people crowding the streets, this parade was absolutely insane. In the first video you can see the pride of Chicago on display with the city flag, Blackhawks flag, USA flag and Irish flag.

From here you can see a sea of people following the team buses towards the rally. I did not get there due to the heavy crowds, but that's okay. I will be recording a replay of the events that I missed on television tonight! Of course, I also added the goal celebratory song Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis.

happy.png
w00t.png
ugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to the Blackhawks, they're the US team that i like the most in the NHL (i follow the Canucks mainly), didn't see the final, but i'm going to watch it soon

Why are they flying an Irish flag?