• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Christchurch, Canterbury earthquake

alex

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
anyone else get affected by this? got any photos to share? it was pretty exciting:D:D on my birthday!

not much info on here as i thought there might be. Luckily NZ has some pretty hard building codes or it could have been alot worse!

all my family are ok, just a few things broken, granadad and my sister lost their chimneys, saved them having to take them out but other than that all good :)

All my friends and family are safe, good thing my brother moved to Invers, my one friends parents house is pretty mangled though. It's 100+ year old house so it didn't quite stand up as well as some of the other newer buildings. Just saw the photos posted on facebook, doesn't look very good at all. The roads are also a bit of mess too out in the country side. Lesson to take from Chch earthquake: if you live on or near a fault line build proper buildings, and no body dies!

Yeah, I was enjoying one of the last days of my uni break in Christchurch when the earthquake hit. I was staying with a friends of the family, whom I don't really get on well with, so it was all good for me. Part of their bank slipped onto their front lawn, but that's about it.

I felt it strongly in Dunedin (about 400km away from epicenter of the quake) - we could tell it was a big one. It was amazing given the amount carnage in Christchurch that there were no fatalities - if it had hit during the day (or even on Friday/Saturday evening) when the town centre was packed, it could have been much worse.

My wife was visiting her family in wellington over the weekend, says she felt it up there too!

Yeah, I heard it was a pretty hard one.
Luckily my famo lives up North.

Any people who live in Christchurch? Have relatives there? So glad there are no casualties. Did it affect the Canterbury stadium?

Any people who live in Christchurch? Have relatives there? So glad there are no casualties. Did it affect the Canterbury stadium?

The stadium has passed preliminary assessments on Saturday, but will be under-going full assessment by a team of engineers on Tuesday and Wednesday. At that point an official announcement will be available. It seems at this point to have escaped largely unscathed. The next Rugby game at that ground is Spet 25, which allows plenty of time for a more full review of all possibilities.

I myself felt the earthquake as I was awake in Invercargill at the time. It wasn't powerful down here, but certainly very noticeable.

The stadium has passed preliminary assessments on Saturday, but will be under-going full assessment by a team of engineers on Tuesday and Wednesday. At that point an official announcement will be available. It seems at this point to have escaped largely unscathed. The next Rugby game at that ground is Spet 25, which allows plenty of time for a more full review of all possibilities.

I myself felt the earthquake as I was awake in Invercargill at the time. It wasn't powerful down here, but certainly very noticeable.

Sweet, thanks for that.

Why on earth were you up at 4 in the morning? :huh:

Sweet, thanks for that.

Why on earth were you up at 4 in the morning? :huh:

I have a small child and I heard her coughing from her room, so I brought her in with her mother and I. I then couldn't sleep so started to read a chapter or two of a book by the bedside light. It was a horror book about a possessed house. I'd only just closed the book when I saw the light swinging in our room and felt the bed start to creak and then the sound of floor boards creaking in the hallway. Freaked me right out.

I woke my wife up immediately and told her that if it got worse we'd have to get up and maybe out. Didn't get worse and I fell asleep after 5am. Thought it was a small local one until I woke up at 10am!

Latest posts