• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Christian Cullen

J

Jockstap

I posted this in the Best try forum and then figured it deserved a thread of its own, so here's to one of the game's all time greats.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0945lQKP7I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0945lQKP7I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Far he's a legend wish he was in the team right now we could of done with his skills undoubtedly the best fullback the All Blacks have ever had maybe even the best in the world ever.

that second try against Scotland (96) and the one against the Wallabies (97) are definitely among the best ever!

42, 43, 44, 45 and 46 not on the vid but wasn't 2000 such a great year for him particularly the trinations.

A good guy, too. He did not deserve the treatment that he received from Deans/Mitchell. He made going to the stadium such an exciting thing. Rugby needs someone like him again. He is a bit like the Usain Bolt of rugby, he just excites people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 17 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Far he's a legend wish he was in the team right now we could of done with his skills undoubtedly the best fullback the All Blacks have ever had maybe even the best in the world ever.[/b]

I always make sure to say best of the modern era. Cause lets face it, we have no idea how Cullen would stack up against Don Clarke and George Nepia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 17 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 17 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Far he's a legend wish he was in the team right now we could of done with his skills undoubtedly the best fullback the All Blacks have ever had maybe even the best in the world ever.[/b]

I always make sure to say best of the modern era. Cause lets face it, we have no idea how Cullen would stack up against Don Clarke and George Nepia
[/b][/quote]
You could say Cullen is the best attacking full back because the old full backs wern't such great attackers, as I understand. Best fullback overall you can't quite say.

I can see why the Kiwis in the Munster team compare Keith Earls to him, they look very similar in attack. Just have to wait and see now if Earls can live up to that Comparison. Here's a few clips of him in action for Munster and Ireland. He only just turned 21 and most people in Ireland see him as a star for the future.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9RJATBsyMQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9RJATBsyMQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 17 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 17 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Sep 17 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
You could say Cullen is the best attacking full back because the old full backs wern't such great attackers, as I understand. Best fullback overall you can't quite say.
[/b][/quote]

You never really know though, it was such a different game. None of the players were as good attackers on paper, but it was more to do with the rules and style of play then natural ability. If George Nepia and Don Clarke were playing now, and grew up in the same system, they would undoubtably play differently.

I dont know i just think that players from then and now are so far apart its incomparable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 17 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 17 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

You never really know though, it was such a different game. None of the players were as good attackers on paper, but it was more to do with the rules and style of play then natural ability. If George Nepia and Don Clarke were playing now, and grew up in the same system, they would undoubtably play differently.

I dont know i just think that players from then and now are so far apart its incomparable.
[/b][/quote]
Yes I made a huge mistake there but he's the best I've seen play, obviously had I been born when George Nepia and Don Clarke were playing I would probably have different views. Like you's all say you can never compare eras really.

Does anyone know who was a faster sprinter between Cullen and Wilson???

I know Roger Randall was the fastest overall. God that guy was a freak. I never saw anybody come close to catching that guy. Played a crap rugby game, but Jeezuz could he rape the grass.

I know Wilson and Cullen used to run beside each other and leave others teams behind, but I all ways though Cullen had a slight edge over speed of Wilson. Cullen was a better finished over Wilson, but Wilson was in my opinion more of an all rounder and a better team player to an extent as Wilson scored all most as many tries as Cullen, and at one stage held the record over Cullen. Nice vid, I have had it on my iPod for about 2 and a bit years now. The try that was great but not seen on the video was Cullen's try against Italy, which I consider to be his last great try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nHwCuWeJ8...&playnext=1 - Italy try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0HZ1X-L-o - Tries against Fiji which beat Wilsons record, and the last tries he would score internationally.

I can't find the try he scored against France that is missing but other then that, all his tries are shown in Jockstraps one, and on the two link I just posted. By the way, if anyone can give me a link to Roger Randle tries that would be much appreciated, I never thought much of his speed in 2003, but people now say he was really fast, I can't decide if it is a EA rugby series influence, or if he was that good, so if anyone knows where I can see some of his tries, I would be really grateful.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 17 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone know who was a faster sprinter between Cullen and Wilson???

I know Roger Randall was the fastest overall. God that guy was a freak. I never saw anybody come close to catching that guy. Played a crap rugby game, but Jeezuz could he rape the grass.[/b]
Cullen easy but because he always played fullback nobody really thought too much of his speed but for the couple of times he played wing for the All Blacks he smoked everyone. There's a few videos on youtube of him smoking his own players in the Hurricanes and All Blacks.

I've watched him cut down many players live including the game against Northland when Caucau was playin.

Yes Roger Randle was a freak when he played for the Hurricanes until he got accused of raping some lady in South Africa. Also Brad Fleming was a bit of a speedster too but don't know what ever happened to him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Sep 17 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know Wilson and Cullen used to run beside each other and leave others teams behind, but I all ways though Cullen had a slight edge over speed of Wilson. Cullen was a better finished over Wilson, but Wilson was in my opinion more of an all rounder and a better team player to an extent as Wilson scored all most as many tries as Cullen, and at one stage held the record over Cullen. Nice vid, I have had it on my iPod for about 2 and a bit years now. The try that was great but not seen on the video was Cullen's try against Italy, which I consider to be his last great try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0HZ1X-L-o - Tries against Fiji which beat Wilsons record, and the last tries he would score internationally.

I can't find the try he scored against France that is missing but other then that, all his tries are shown in Jockstraps one, and on the two link I just posted. By the way, if anyone can give me a link to Roger Randle tries that would be much appreciated, I never thought much of his speed in 2003, but people now say he was really fast, I can't decide if it is a EA rugby series influence, or if he was that good, so if anyone knows where I can see some of his tries, I would be really grateful.[/b]

Haha so Wilson was quicker because he had almost as many tries? youre entitled to an opinion but thats some odd reasoning.

I always thought Cullen had it over everyone physically. He was one of the strongest players in the game. He always benched the most pound for pound in any team he was in. He was also the quickest and most evasive. The only problem was hes so stuuupid. Its been in many other players autobiographies that he was quite dumb. Jeff Wilson on the other hand was one of the smartest players of his generation. So tactically sound, with great athletisicm.

When it comes down to it though i think Cullen was faster however. And yeh i remember Randle during his Waikato Heyday. the combination of Reihana-Randle-Miller was amazing. And trust me it had nothing to do with EA rugby. This guy was just a freak. It was as if he had put in cheat codes before the game.

I think Cullen just does work with the youth around Kapiti now I saw him driving pass in Paraparaumu a few months back didn't realise he was back in New Zealand than. Would be awesome to see him play even if it was just a few games for pram or whoever maybe Horowhenu or Manawatu again.

He was a massive fullback and player all round but I reckon the Wellington Lions kind of thrashed him after a while because they just gave him the ball and expected him to do everything on his own. He got treated pretty badly by the than All Blacks coach John Mitchell I don't think they ever saw eye to eye.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Sep 17 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Sep 17 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't find the try he scored against France that is missing but other then that, all his tries are shown in Jockstraps one, and on the two link I just posted. By the way, if anyone can give me a link to Roger Randle tries that would be much appreciated, I never thought much of his speed in 2003, but people now say he was really fast, I can't decide if it is a EA rugby series influence, or if he was that good, so if anyone knows where I can see some of his tries, I would be really grateful.[/b]

Haha so Wilson was quicker because he had almost as many tries? youre entitled to an opinion but thats some odd reasoning.

I always thought Cullen had it over everyone physically. He was one of the strongest players in the game. He always benched the most pound for pound in any team he was in. He was also the quickest and most evasive. The only problem was hes so stuuupid. Its been in many other players autobiographies that he was quite dumb. Jeff Wilson on the other hand was one of the smartest players of his generation. So tactically sound, with great athletisicm.

When it comes down to it though i think Cullen was faster however. And yeh i remember Randle during his Waikato Heyday. the combination of Reihana-Randle-Miller was amazing. And trust me it had nothing to do with EA rugby. This guy was just a freak. It was as if he had put in cheat codes before the game.
[/b][/quote]
never claimed he was quicker...

Cullen's running style is (like someone mentioned before) beautiful. He was strong, fast and elusive. He would score scintillating tries on a regular basis. Yes I too think he's the best fullback in rugby before him it was John Gallagher for me. Cullen made a lot of rugby fans in NZ, AUS, SAF, ENG....watch the Hurricanes, Lions and All Blacks hoping he'd provide some fine running rugby and most times he'd deliver.

However around about the time Cullen was dropped from the All Blacks he seemed to have lost some of his speed. He was becoming less elusive and he didnt have that glide in his run. I think Cullen realised this himself and began to adopt the more common kick-return by chipping or bombing for himself rather then running it back at the opposition like he use to. Sometimes I think that Cullens best years had come and gone fast. Which is a bummer for Wellingtonian rugby fans such as myself.

Although I hated John Mitchell at the time for axing Cullen, in hindsight it may have been a good option in the long run. Mitchell and backs coach Deans must have felt that Cullen was a 'has-been', and would not be suited to their plans. Cullen came back in the very next NPC game with a vintage run, but Mitchell wasnt convinced. So they picked Ben Blair, Leon McDonald and Mills all proved more then worthy of the 15 jersey but (in my opinion) were boring with ball in hand.

Hopefully will see another freak like Cullen one day.

Latest posts