• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Clarkson

Think you're right Smartcooky, can't see JM or RH carrying on based on what theyve said. I personally like Clarkson, as well as me having huge respect to what he has acheieved in the industry and what he and Andy Wilman did with a previously dead concept and turned it into the juggernaut it is, I genuinely find him amusing and entertaining. I've never been offended once by anything he has said, shame some seemingly went out of their way to be offended but thats our culture right now.

That said I do aknowledge that he did make a rod for his own back in this scenario and I dont think he can or will have any complaints over the Beeb's decision. I hope the format carries on in some capaicty as I feel its a format TV needs and not more "I wanna be famous for being a total dingbat" TOWIE type drivel.

I doubt the other two will stay without Clarkson, (James May has already intimated that he will be out) so I'm afraid no matter what happens, for all intents and purposes, Top Gear is probably goneburger. As has been amply demonstrated by the utter and uninspiring failure that is Top Gear USA, its the chemistry between Clarkson, May and Hammond that makes the format work.

Yup.

I think all 3 of them will no longer feature in the new TG, if there will ever be a new TG. Hammond I think has been told by his legal representative to keep quiet on the matter and has since the event took place, not said anything.

With that said, I think the BBC did the correct thing. No person is above the rules, and has to abide by them. Clarkson went past the boundaries of the rules, this time a bit farther than usual.

I for one, will not watch TG without the 3 stooges... I think the BBC has lost a big golden egg, and it's going to be very hard to recover the loss of revenue that TG generated for them.

I agree with most of the comments here. Top Gear is/was fantastic but you can't just allow one man to do whatever they want. You have to have some sort of professional standards.

It's really a big shame. Certainly can't fault the BBC for their actions - it was the only action they could do and still keep some shred of integrity. You know they would have rather done anything but considering what a consistent earner Top Gear has been for them over the last 15 years.

With that said - as SC mentioned - Top Gear USA is simply one of the most painful thing to have to sit through and watch. The chemistry just seems labored and the script is painful. I'm not sure who could possibly come in and replace JC - especially without the other two -retain its audience.

I like Jeremy Clarkson as an entertainer. He does cross a line sometimes - but it's weird that people can't take what he says with a grain of salt. But yeah, it's really indefensible what he has done on this occasion.

I saw a couple of the Aussie version, that was decent. Its a show to lends itself to the Aussie sense of humour I think. Didnt see the US version, wont now.

A lot of what Clarkson has been blamed for in the past IMHO regarding the Top Gear incidents are as much the production staffs fault as his.

The slope comment from the Burma special could have been edited out but was kept.

The number plate from the Argentina trip could have been spotted and removed but wasn't.

The list goes on and, for the most part could have been stopped at the editing stage

That said, there is and can be, no excuse for laying one, or several, on a fellow employee.

It's an instant dismissal at my company and, I am sure most others.

Yup.

I think all 3 of them will no longer feature in the new TG, if there will ever be a new TG. Hammond I think has been told by his legal representative to keep quiet on the matter and has since the event took place, not said anything.

With that said, I think the BBC did the correct thing. No person is above the rules, and has to abide by them. Clarkson went past the boundaries of the rules, this time a bit farther than usual.

I for one, will not watch TG without the 3 stooges... I think the BBC has lost a big golden egg, and it's going to be very hard to recover the loss of revenue that TG generated for them.
Hammond has been on Twitter

Still a bit gutted apart from the 6n it was the only program on TV that wasn't aimed at woman, old people and gay men. Still got the rugby highlights on ITV 4 which I don't have to sky plus anymore

Still a bit gutted apart from the 6n it was the only program on TV that wasn't aimed at woman, old people and gay men. Still got the rugby highlights on ITV 4 which I don't have to sky plus anymore
Expand?

Soap operas, talent shows, lifestyle programs, house in the country, cash in the attic, snooker, etc etc

TIL those are the only shows on TV. Sorry Tallshort, but I have absolutely no idea what you're on about here.

I know they are the only shows on the BBC, but before you had 1 hour on a Sunday that was pure bloke tv they used to have they think it's all over but it got binned for being too ladish. Good job I've got sky

Clarkson gone, Top Gear going, if they get rid of Eastenders now you'll never hear me whinge about paying my license fee again!

Really??

Do none of those categories drive cars?? I must tell my wife, and Gran that!!

I actually really like the BBC. Okay they churn out a lot of crap to fill time slots but they make some really top quality stuff too like Sherlock.

Dependant on who is defining the 'physical assault'. Is it an ambulance chaser, someone looking for a reason to remove him, or someone with a modicum of common sense.

Maybe he just shook my hand for 30 seconds? Oh dear! Wrist sprain! Whiplash! Arrrrgh! I have to go on the sick for three years with stress, and injuries!

Having read your opening comments, I thought it impossible for you to raise the level of idiocy, but hats off to you, you proved me wrong. Clarkson didn't shake hands, he verbally and physically assaulted the man in the real sense of the word 'assault'. As for ambulance chasers, I'm afraid that's just the product of your fevered imagination. Oisin Ttymon had this to say. ""I've worked on Top Gear for almost a decade, a programme I love. Over that time Jeremy and I had a positive and successful working relationship, making some landmark projects together. He is a unique talent and I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this way."

That's hardly the words of a man looking to benefit from this. he was embarassed by the whole thing. Clarkson, in my view, has had this coming for years. He thinks he's above reproach and where most of us, in his position, would refrain from this kind of behaviour because we're aware of what's wrong and what's right, he, and you, don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there are the (still alleged) facts then. Thanks, I couldn't find that anywhere. (had been working all day, and couldn't get a hot meal, so wasn't at peak performance)

I was referring to the ambulance chasers as it's that 'brand' of lawyers who argue that trivial things are assaults, for compensation. Eg. A teacher breaks up a fight, or someone grabs someone elses arm.

Incidentally, I've now heard the new cast of TG will be all female, with only women allowed to attend (for equality of course).

That might explain your difficulty in finding any evidence of the assault.