• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentators

Who would you like to commentate Rugby 2012 ?

• Hugh Bladen (SAF)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Grant Nisbett (NZL)

Votes: 149 21.8%
  • Miles Harrison (ENG)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Ian Robertson (SCO)

Votes: 65 9.5%
  • Greg Clark (AUS)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Jonathan Davies (WLS)

Votes: 200 29.2%
  • Brian Moore (ENG)

Votes: 203 29.7%
  • Murray Mexted (NZL)

Votes: 104 15.2%
  • Phil Kearns (AUS)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Another commentator

Votes: 81 11.8%

• Total voters
I know it would be highly unlikely, and extremely extremely difficult to do, but I'd love to have Bill McLaren (RIP) with someone. There must be a way to do it, extremely hard (looking at things realistically) and very time consuming but surely theres a way of sampling his voice from previous games (i understand that most players that are "big" now weren't around when he commentated) but there must be a way around it???
would love to hear his voice on a game again, quality stuff - "That'll put him in ward 4... (Mclaren) (Bill Beaumont) I hope not bill, thats a maternity ward lol :p
Ive gone back to playing JLR and rugby 2001 for that very reason. Love classic bill :D :D :D would be ace

I think a few NH fans should realise how they'd feel if two SH commentators were used. I imagine you wouldn't be happy. At least us Southies are talking about sharing with one each, lol.

In all seriousness i think the best option would be Grant Nisbet. He might not be a recognised rugby player like the rest, but hes the best around at actually commentating a game.
You could have a Northern Hemisphere former player for the humerous side of the commentary to balance things out.

If i got my way id have Scotty "Sumo" Stevenson as the other commentator though. Hes very quick and very smart with his comments.
I find myself laughing at his canny observations, where as i just find myself laughing at Mexteds stupidity.

George Hook doesnt even commentat ha

You Don't Comment...Ha Ha!
How's that for one-up-manship?

I know, I know, he only does the in studio halftime analogy stuff...but c'mon...he needs to just dive right in and blast off his opinion.

I've heard another guy from Britain somewhere who really commentates astutely play by play, not sure who he is, but you feel that you could listen to him on the radio and still firmly understand what's happening. Grant Nisbett is the New Zealand version of that. Says who hit the ruck, which direction the defence is more heavily stacked, tells you when the fullback is in position while a ball is in-flight. Those sorts of things that make you feel like every detail is important. Also he doesn't have a broad kiwi accent, which makes him accessible for worldwide coverage. New Zealand generally has ex-players commentate. Why do they use a non-player like Nisbo?

He's bloody good.

Looks like so far if it were to be decided by the rugbyforum it would be Hugh Bladen and Grant Nisbett

That would be no bad thing! Hugh Bladen would probably be a pretty solid favourite for the North boys and Grant Nisbett is seriously the least overly accented and most accurate guy in the South. I bet once they were into the swing of it, they'd probably suggest to the HB team better things to say rather than just running with a script 100% of the time. I think you need guys who can put over a professional tone, sound serious, excited and insightful.

just get this guy

probably a bit cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray Mexted has millions of terrible quotes however I think Nisbett would make a better commentator for a serious rugby game. If NH members want to submit a colour commentator that's up to them.

I Think Blades will own it, he has that raspy voice and that vintage vocabulary, he gives the game excitement!

Top 3 choices (in order): Hugh Bladen, Grant Nesbitt, Miles Harrison
Co- commentators (I only know NH ones): Stuart Barnes, Jonathan Davies, Will Greenwood

Top 3 choices (in order): Hugh Bladen, Grant Nesbitt, Miles Harrison
Co- commentators (I only know NH ones): Stuart Barnes, Jonathan Davies, Will Greenwood

will_greenwood.jpg

Just as long as Greenwood doesn't ghizz in his pants about Pierre Spies;):D

Hugh Bladen is SA's Bill McLaren and will make Rugby 2012 fun to play if he commentates!

I vote for Nisbo...

I do like listening to the Aussie commentators too though (The Gregs and Kearns)... But I think after a while, they would get very irritating... I can imagine it now...

The best option but unrealistic and unlikely due to time and funding issues would be different commentating for each country, so everybody's happy... But separate commentators for NH and SH is more realistic... But still is unlikely :)

Phil Kearns, Greg Martin, Greg Clark - they commentate all of the wallabies home games and most of the Australian home super 14 games.

Latest posts