• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentators

Who would you like to commentate Rugby 2012 ?

• Hugh Bladen (SAF)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Grant Nisbett (NZL)

Votes: 149 21.8%
  • Miles Harrison (ENG)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Ian Robertson (SCO)

Votes: 65 9.5%
  • Greg Clark (AUS)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Jonathan Davies (WLS)

Votes: 200 29.2%
  • Brian Moore (ENG)

Votes: 203 29.7%
  • Murray Mexted (NZL)

Votes: 104 15.2%
  • Phil Kearns (AUS)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Another commentator

Votes: 81 11.8%

• Total voters
Think it would be great if they could do it like this

Hugh Bladen - Main Commentator
Miles Harrison - Colour Commentator
Grant Nisbett - Half time- Game Analyst
Greg Martin, Greg Clark & Phil Kearns - Interviews & touchline reports

But then again pigs can't fly, or at least not in rugby games

I think there should be a choice between Northern Hemisphere Commentators and Southern Hemisphere Commentators depending on the match.

Northern Hemisphere:

Jonathan Davies/Eddie Buttler
with
Brain Moore

I think there should be a choice between Northern Hemisphere Commentators and Southern Hemisphere Commentators depending on the match.

Northern Hemisphere:

Jonathan Davies/Eddie Buttler
with
Brain Moore

Anyone but Eddie Butler and Brian Moore, the whole world hates them.

Please, no.

On NCAA Basketball you have the choice of two television networks in CBS and ESPN and both have different commentators. Something like this with Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere

I'd love that too guys, but seriously unless they can get a couple of guys to do some of this work for free and the trip to the studio (maybe they almost would for the good of the game and their profile internationally), but I'm really thinking two will be our lot. I'm sure HB will be interested in all the feedback so far though.

HB Please note:
Jonathan Davies lives around the corner from me. If HB requires his address to send him a letter I can provide it to them!!! :)

I think the three main candidates are Nisbett, Davies and Bladen. I don't think anyone will fully agree with which two would be best as while they probably are the three main commentators active in rugby that people like, each country will have his own "voice of rugby" that unless HB are willing to pay out for three, there will have to be a compramise. One thing though, if an Australian is the commentator I'll stop playing as they'd have to be a 30min slag off session between the commentators followed by one of them complaining about the colour of the front rows boots.

I think the three main candidates are Nisbett, Davies and Bladen. I don't think anyone will fully agree with which two would be best as while they probably are the three main commentators active in rugby that people like, each country will have his own "voice of rugby" that unless HB are willing to pay out for three, there will have to be a compramise. One thing though, if an Australian is the commentator I'll stop playing as they'd have to be a 30min slag off session between the commentators followed by one of them complaining about the colour of the front rows boots.

Found that pretty funny. :) I actually find that when you get Australian rugby commentators away from each other they can be pretty good. On the odd occasion I've heard an aussie commentating with another from a different nationality they can be pretty astute, like at the world cup sometimes. You get them together though (esp S14) and it sounds like the back seat of a rugby bus trip between pubs. A lot of going over the top, roaring, screaming, a lot of bias and joking about kind of unfunny/unrelated things.

Just to show it's not just kiwi bias, I seriously find a far more professional attitude (just generally) from South Africans, English, Welsh, French, you name it.

Personal views aside, Jonathen Davies isn't a main commentator. I don't really know any SH guys, (except that they say "day-boo" :p) so my choices would be Nick Mullins and Brian Moore, but I would be happy with a North/South, or South/North combo.

I'm sure that it will be Ian Robertson again... And since the WC is in NZ, it is safe to say that it will be another NZer commentating with him again... May even be Keith Quinn! :)

But lets hope it's Nisbo...

Think it would be great if they could do it like this

Hugh Bladen - Main Commentator
Miles Harrison - Colour Commentator
Grant Nisbett - Half time- Game Analyst
Greg Martin, Greg Clark & Phil Kearns - Interviews & touchline reports

But then again pigs can't fly, or at least not in rugby games

Nisbo for main commentator thank you very much, his strength is in commentating a game as it happens. Halftime analysis is for recently retired players to cut their teeth on.

I'm sure that it will be Ian Robertson again... And since the WC is in NZ, it is safe to say that it will be another NZer commentating with him again... May even be Keith Quinn! :)

But lets hope it's Nisbo...

I reckon your right. With the cup being in New Zealand a New Zealand commentator would make a bit of sense. Also if people are going to get all biased about accents, then they'll be pleased to know that Mr Nisbett doesn't have too broad a kiwi accent. He has a pronounced voice which doesn't seem to lapse into heavy local accent. He would actually say "debut" as opposed to "day-boo" as someone said earlier, lol. :) I'll have to find a You Tube clip.

I'd love to have Kearnsy with his Whiteboard analysing at stoppages in play... Also wouldn't mind it having a default commentor such as Grant Fox (as bad as it was) and then being able pay an extra $5 or $10 on the Playstation Store to add your favourite commentators

I'd love to have Kearnsy with his Whiteboard analysing at stoppages in play... Also wouldn't mind it having a default commentor such as Grant Fox (as bad as it was) and then being able pay an extra $5 or $10 on the Playstation Store to add your favourite commentators

Hey now thats a good idea. I wouldn't just stick to my own countries commentator if I could buy another one for the sake of variety. That'd be awesome and yeah I'd definitely pay.

yea, i will write down the prices

nisbett $10

blades $10

Grant Fox 10 cents

Mexted we pay you!

I'll admit I like Mexted only for his comedy value and his love of the bringing back the rucking we all used to love to see. Fox honestly shows in his clips above with Nisbo the gulf between their ability. You listen thinking "Well Nisbett sounds like a kiwi", then Fox comes in and his accent really hits you in the face and you realise how professional what you just heard was, lol.

Still, Fox got in their for '06 and '08. So, is it name recognition HB were after with him? Honestly, I know very little about who the two Fifa guys are, but I like their commentary most of the time. Maybe it's not good enough to pick former world playing greats just on name strength any more?

I really hope they don't get Grant Fox back. He just not up to scratch at all, its not his accent that bothers me, he just isn't a very good commentator. He probably had a big price tag too considering hes a famous player.
As much as i want a great commenter, i dont want HB to fork out a lot of money for one, id rather that was spent on the game itself.

I say go for Scotty Sumo Stevenson, hes funny, isnt too bad at calling whats happening on the field and looks like he would accept a 20 pack of Double Brown as payment.

Latest posts