• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentators

Who would you like to commentate Rugby 2012 ?

• Hugh Bladen (SAF)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Grant Nisbett (NZL)

Votes: 149 21.8%
  • Miles Harrison (ENG)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Ian Robertson (SCO)

Votes: 65 9.5%
  • Greg Clark (AUS)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Jonathan Davies (WLS)

Votes: 200 29.2%
  • Brian Moore (ENG)

Votes: 203 29.7%
  • Murray Mexted (NZL)

Votes: 104 15.2%
  • Phil Kearns (AUS)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Another commentator

Votes: 81 11.8%

• Total voters
The combination of Fox talking ******** and Ian Robertson being dis-interested was very poor in the last couple of games.

Personally I would like to see Jonathan Davies as commentator.

I think in an ideal world you could choose to have either NH commentators or SH commentators but this is unlikely due to funding.

Would you really be happy with the compromise of having a NH and SH commentator together?

It would be better than nothing! We need a NH commentators perspective to make the game more objective.

Personally I would like to see Jonathan Davies as commentator.

If that happens I'd turn the commentary off. An evening of hell would be sitting listing to his irritating, whiny voice.

Couldn't resist :D

Worrying number of votes for Brian Moore guys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugh Bladley deserves to be in there after all these years?

And if Phil Kearns is the legend who commentates Samoa vs South Africa in the 2003 World Cup, then you MUST put him in.

Love his saying

(Joost) "Van der Westhuyzen. Up over halfway he g-OHHHH!!!!!!!!! What about the tackle from Brian Lima??"

hahaah only sevens years later did I him saying "Up over halfway he goes" whilst commentating in the Super 14 this year..

Legend :D

Bladley and Kearns

arc_uktour.jpg

Jed "The Jedi" Thian
How badass would that be? Ha Ha Ha!
f5fc947498875fd63934.jpeg

The australian commentators are hilarious. i rekon one australian and one new zealander.. definently need one from new zealand considering thats where the world cups going to be hosted

Watching overseas sports commentary shows how dull ours is in reflection. I watch plenty of US sports and the quality of commentary is far superior, they sound like they are having a laugh while telling the viewers what is going on. The BBC's style of sports commentary is very script-sounding, very clichéd and at times quite cringe worthy.

Watching overseas sports commentary shows how dull ours is in reflection. I watch plenty of US sports and the quality of commentary is far superior, they sound like they are having a laugh while telling the viewers what is going on. The BBC's style of sports commentary is very script-sounding, very clichéd and at times quite cringe worthy.

What? I find most NFL commentators run out of stuff to say by mid way through the 3rd quarter, especially if one team is clearly in front. I've always found a bit humourless compared to commentary here and down under.

What? I find most NFL commentators run out of stuff to say by mid way through the 3rd quarter, especially if one team is clearly in front. I've always found a bit humourless compared to commentary here and down under.

I was thinking more of NHL games. In the NFL games I have seen NBC and Fox are better in terms of quality of commentating.

I really hope HB are taking note that not only in the poll but the thread, it hasn't been ex-players people really care about. If an ex-player is a good commentator, fair enough, but generally people just want entertaining knowledgeable guys. Brian Moore is an ex-player sure and is up there in the votes, but I'm sure it's because of whatever those who voted think of his commentary, not because he's an ex-top-level-player.

That's whats been refreshing about the discussion. The focus has been on information, entertainment and professionalism.

I'm really excited if the guys at HB do pick these front runners. What a pairing.

I've also thought of a new idea. You all know how they have one main commentator and one kind of comments man? Well why not have one of them be the main commentator for some matches, but the other be the main commentator for other matches? I know they'd have to do another session or so in the studio or whatever, but what a first that'd be. As far as I know it's not been done on another sports ***le?

Please do Australian commentators. What's wrong with you people! Australian's are the most bias and least informitive commentators around. If my only exposure to rugby over the last 18 years was a radio commentary from Australian commentators i would presume rugby was about the following.
-Forwards are better than backs.
-Half backs claim they never break the law.
-The color of the front rows foot wear is a hugely important aspect of the game.
-The commentators dislike eachother
They're not funny, they just get old.

Please do Australian commentators. What's wrong with you people! Australian's are the most bias and least informitive commentators around. If my only exposure to rugby over the last 18 years was a radio commentary from Australian commentators i would presume rugby was about the following.
-Forwards are better than backs.
-Half backs claim they never break the law.
-The color of the front rows foot wear is a hugely important aspect of the game.
-The commentators dislike eachother
They're not funny, they just get old.

forwards are better than backs :p

but i agree australian commentators are way too biased, and gets more than rediculous on many occasions.

forwards are better than backs :p

but i agree australian commentators are way too biased, and gets more than rediculous on many occasions.

I'd agree with it on many occasions, but to be fair to our Australian members I have to say honestly that they aren't always so bad. Still, they have enough bad calls to not put them high up my list. It's like when they try to call well and relay the facts in an exciting, informative way they can do it, but they just don't do that anywhere near often enough.

Latest posts