• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentators

Who would you like to commentate Rugby 2012 ?

• Hugh Bladen (SAF)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Grant Nisbett (NZL)

Votes: 149 21.8%
  • Miles Harrison (ENG)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Ian Robertson (SCO)

Votes: 65 9.5%
  • Greg Clark (AUS)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Jonathan Davies (WLS)

Votes: 200 29.2%
  • Brian Moore (ENG)

Votes: 203 29.7%
  • Murray Mexted (NZL)

Votes: 104 15.2%
  • Phil Kearns (AUS)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Another commentator

Votes: 81 11.8%

• Total voters
Nzers complaining that Ozzies are biased...that's a bit rich when you have Murray Meathead commentating...

Nzers complaining that Ozzies are biased...that's a bit rich when you have Murray Meathead commentating...

Wow, way to generalise a small aspect of whats being said. I've said I actually like them when they are being professional. If you havent heard them yell and scream like a league commentator, then you really don't understand. We are right next door to Australia, we hear them every week. New Zealand/South African/ English/Scottish or most other commentators don't tend to turn it into a massive yell-fest as much. I'll say again, in the right game they can be smart, professional and do a great job.

Still your entitled to your rather generalised and isolated opinion. I'll still buy your croissants and garlic bread any day, but not your wine. We have the good stuff here now, lol.

I'll say it again why is there no option for Eddie Butler? Him and Brian Moore make a great combination so why not bring that to the game a la Martin Tyler and Andy Gray in Fifa. Having said that there should probably be an extra option for SH commentators if need be...

Whoa...hold on a second. Are you implying Murray Mexted is a bit thick? Really? Finally someone with the insight to point out the extremely obvious.
As I've said all ready I'm not a fan of Mexted so that really doesn't help your cause. As it is I continue my stance on how poor Australian commentators are.<O:p</O:p

I'll say it again why is there no option for Eddie Butler? Him and Brian Moore make a great combination so why not bring that to the game a la Martin Tyler and Andy Gray in Fifa. Having said that there should probably be an extra option for SH commentators if need be...

Eddie Butler doesn't appear on that list as he was not advocated in the thread by enough people, sorry.

Whoa...hold on a second. Are you implying Murray Mexted is a bit thick? Really? Finally someone with the insight to point out the extremely obvious.
As I've said all ready I'm not a fan of Mexted so that really doesn't help your cause. As it is I continue my stance on how poor Australian commentators are.<O:p</O:p

Saying Mex is a little thick is besides the point. He's supposed to be the court jester of New Zealand rugby commentators, hardly the example of our commentators.

I think a good idea would be to have a choice of commentators but Ian Robertson has got to be in

I think a good idea would be to have a choice of commentators but Ian Robertson has got to be in

Yeah, because he sounds like a kindly old scottish granddad who's just offered us a boiled sweet. If we want timid, boy will he give us a timid, with a side order of tepid.

He's never been given a go before has he? Ummmm, actually he did the commentary for '05, '06 and '08.

Should have Jonathan Davies in there.
He comes out with some funny stuff!

I couldn't agree with you more!
I think I would prefer a game with funny/humorous commentary rather than the current bland and boring commentary in Rugby 08!
Jonah Lomu Rugby is a great example of this working very well with Bill McLaran.

Mathew Peirce should be on that list,there is allot of talk of that commentators should be professional,if thats what HB studios are looking at (and not clowns commentating) then Mathew Peirce is hands down the best commentator in the world!

Mathew Peirce should be on that list,there is allot of talk of that commentators should be professional,if thats what HB studios are looking at (and not clowns commentating) then Mathew Peirce is hands down the best commentator in the world!

Get some more people to agree with you on here and he might go into a second round. There was only option to put up 10 contenders for this poll. Might just take the top 5 from this, scrap the poll and put in 5 more for round 2. Only if there's sufficient interest in that though. I'm not in for doing in a poll unless there are heavily supported other options. When I posted this poll I could only take the most discussed commentators in the thread obviously. :)

Hey CAI, seems like I touched a nerve or something.:)

My comment was just tongue in cheek but apparently you all thought I was being serious...

Oh, and I quite like the NRL commentators btw...:p:)

Hey CAI, seems like I touched a nerve or something.:)

My comment was just tongue in cheek but apparently you all thought I was being serious...

Oh, and I quite like the NRL commentators btw...:p:)

No, I'm only ever semi-serious for the length of time it takes to type my reply. Even towards the end I was starting to have a laugh, particularly about the whole french stuff and really I do like the french. Just wish they had some really top-quality english language commentators.

If we're taking suggestions for a second round, I propose Austin Healey!

True. I'm not sure what he's doing exactly for ESPN next season, though.

That is a dreadful sentence.

Last edited:
True. I'm not sure what he's doing exactly for ESPN next season, though.

That is a dreadful sentence.

He does some Match Analysis work for the BBC. I think he is quite good at that. Not sure what he'd be like as a commentator though.

What about Eddie Butler?

IMO I Cant stand him lol, But he can make things very dramatic sometimes.

What about Eddie Butler?

IMO I Cant stand him lol, But he can make things very dramatic sometimes.

Eddie Butler breaks me. All the BBC commentators do apart from Andrew Cotter, they're all so biased towards their own nation and for me thats not what commentating is about. Whenever its Wales v England its cringe-worthy listening to Butler and Moore.

Latest posts