• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentators

Who would you like to commentate Rugby 2012 ?

• Hugh Bladen (SAF)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Grant Nisbett (NZL)

Votes: 149 21.8%
  • Miles Harrison (ENG)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Ian Robertson (SCO)

Votes: 65 9.5%
  • Greg Clark (AUS)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Jonathan Davies (WLS)

Votes: 200 29.2%
  • Brian Moore (ENG)

Votes: 203 29.7%
  • Murray Mexted (NZL)

Votes: 104 15.2%
  • Phil Kearns (AUS)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Another commentator

Votes: 81 11.8%

• Total voters
I'd say its pretty much geographical location speaking rather than who people actually think is the better commentators.

Its pretty harsh to accuse me of being blatantly biased. I can assure you that its not just my "geographic location" talking, if thats how you make decisions, then good on you, but thats not how i work.

The reason im a fan of Nisbett is because;

-Has a clear, easy to listen to tone of voice
-He has great knowledge of the game. He is able pick up what tactics and team is using and hes able to identify flaws in a teams play and spot possible holes in a teams defence. Hes great to listen to because when a break is made most of the time he has already told how how and why it was going to happen. Its possible to listen to his commentary on the radio and know exactly what is going on.
-He has a sense of humour, but he doesnt get carried away and off topic with it.
-He is even-handed in his commentary, he doesn't take sides and he appreciates good rugby, no matter which team is making those plays.
-He doesn't just tell you what physically happens, he makes insightful and useful comments based on the issues that arise. If there's a substitution for example, he will tell you there is a substitution, and then comment on how the teams approach and tactics might change. He would comment on why the coach would make that decision and how the players roles will change.

Not because he lives in the same hemisphere as me. Some people, believe it or not, think a little deeper then that.

Its pretty harsh to accuse me of being blatantly biased. I can assure you that its not just my "geographic location" talking, if thats how you make decisions, then good on you, but thats not how i work.

The reason im a fan of Nisbett is because;

-Has a clear, easy to listen to tone of voice
-He has great knowledge of the game. He is able pick up what tactics and team is using and hes able to identify flaws in a teams play and spot possible holes in a teams defence. Hes great to listen to because when a break is made most of the time he has already told how how and why it was going to happen. Its possible to listen to his commentary on the radio and know exactly what is going on.
-He has a sense of humour, but he doesnt get carried away and off topic with it.
-He is even-handed in his commentary, he doesn't take sides and he appreciates good rugby, no matter which team is making those plays.
-He doesn't just tell you what physically happens, he makes insightful and useful comments based on the issues that arise. If there's a substitution for example, he will tell you there is a substitution, and then comment on how the teams approach and tactics might change. He would comment on why the coach would make that decision and how the players roles will change.

Not because he lives in the same hemisphere as me. Some people, believe it or not, think a little deeper then that.

He's also been known to tell Murray Mexted (when Murray has been comments man), "Back to the game now Murray?", or "Ah yes, but we're digressing there just a bit, aren't we?", to try and bring him back on track when he rambles.

I've heard people watching him say (such as when France beat us over here recently), "You don't have to sound so happy about it!"

I believe that there are some great NH commentators too, but the problem is there isn't really a stand-out favourite for me. Barnes and Harrison are ones I've liked, but there wasn't options for everyone on the poll, so I took Harrison only.

Also, in the SH, Bladen is fantastic, and I'd be happy to hear his call too.

I chose Grant Nisbett and Hugh Bladen. Nisbett because I think he's one of the best commentators and Hugh Bladen for the same reason. Why would people presume I'd choose Hugh Bladen because of hemisphare? Like I have more loyalty to South Africa then I would to say England from a commentators perspective...

I'd say New Zealand is actually some what of a minority on this forum anyway so I don't think that point stands. Also it seems people would quite like to have a kiwi commentator for the RWC as it is in New Zealand. Bill McLaren is the voice of rugby for me, and yet he is Scottish...how do you work that one out?

I chose Grant Nisbett and Hugh Bladen. Nisbett because I think he's one of the best commentators and Hugh Bladen for the same reason. Why would people presume I'd choose Hugh Bladen because of hemisphare? Like I have more loyalty to South Africa then I would to say England from a commentators perspective...

I'd say New Zealand is actually some what of a minority on this forum anyway so I don't think that point stands. Also it seems people would quite like to have a kiwi commentator for the RWC as it is in New Zealand. Bill McLaren is the voice of rugby for me, and yet he is Scottish...how do you work that one out?

Yeah personally Bill was in my opinion the Colin Meads of commentators, I do think Ian Robertson sounds more like a timid scottish grand-dad on the recent games, but I have no more loyalty to New Zealand commentators than other nations.

No way on Jonathan Davies. I hate him. He talks so much **** and is EXTREAMLY baised towards Wales.

i quite like the work of the old comentators aka grant fox and ian robertson or sumthing.. but from that list murray mexted and greg clarke are the ones for me but please not south african commentators lol theyre just so monotone

JED THIAN, my vote is for the one and only Jed. Please HB, do what the BBC or any network that broadcasts rugby should have done a long time ago. For those who wonder who he is type "Alternative Rugby Commentary" on youtube. REALLY funny rugby vids. I know this sounds like spam but my organs can testify I'm not a bot.

Last edited:
i quite like the work of the old comentators aka grant fox and ian robertson or sumthing.. but from that list murray mexted and greg clarke are the ones for me but please not south african commentators lol theyre just so monotone

This sounds harsh, but i hope noone takes any notice of your opinions.

Maybe dig up some of Bill McLaren's old sayings and have him speaking them during particular phases of the match. Must admit though, I do enjoy listening to the Aussie commentators during the Super14, they seem more excited and intersting - definately a lot more than the South African commentators, they just bore me.

I listened to Nisbett very carefully this morning,very professional ,he does not "ooooohhhh,aaahhhh" like some other clowns Iv heard and always gives credit where its due,Blades,the same.
So my pick,for SH at least,Blades & Nisbett.

I listened to Nisbett very carefully this morning,very professional ,he does not "ooooohhhh,aaahhhh" like some other clowns Iv heard and always gives credit where its due,Blades,the same.
So my pick,for SH at least,Blades & Nisbett.

I think we should have an option, like 2 from each country, so if it is being played in X country you get X commentator, I would even pay for it through PSN if it had to be done much like Fifa where you can download additional commentators for different languages. Because we will never all agree.

But if it were two, it would be out of Nisbo, Blades or Kearnsey.