• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentators

Who would you like to commentate Rugby 2012 ?

• Hugh Bladen (SAF)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Grant Nisbett (NZL)

Votes: 149 21.8%
  • Miles Harrison (ENG)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Ian Robertson (SCO)

Votes: 65 9.5%
  • Greg Clark (AUS)

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • Jonathan Davies (WLS)

Votes: 200 29.2%
  • Brian Moore (ENG)

Votes: 203 29.7%
  • Murray Mexted (NZL)

Votes: 104 15.2%
  • Phil Kearns (AUS)

Votes: 129 18.9%
  • Another commentator

Votes: 81 11.8%

• Total voters
Why don't they do what they did for the 2010 football world cup semi-final on BBC1 and have Chris Moyles and Comedy Dave

i really dont want to hear brian moore i cant stand that guy. i would like to hear scott hastings or even jonathan davies

Jonathon Davies' voice is on a not-inconsiderable list of sounds which make me wish I had never been born. All but two (Jeremy Clarkson and dying kittens) of the sounds on said list are actually Welsh people talking in fact.

They should get Brian Blessed to do it, with Stephen Fry at his side, and Kirsty Young doing pitch side reports. Mmmmm, Kirsty Young.

Also, I know it's off piste, but if a player scores three tries in a game, he should turn into flames, and be faster than a car.

Eddie Butler is pretty good at commentating, but Jiffy is way too biased in R/L for this stuff, plus he's annoying. Butler/Moore would be good and it would be nice to have a NH/SH set although it'd be expensive.

No i totally disagree there jim546. I can't stand brian moore i think hes dreadful and boring. Same with Eddie butler, hes just a wanna be english man. i think jiffy (JD) should do it as he analyses the game whilst he is commentating and explains what and why the ref has given the decision that has been given. Whereas Brian Moore just complains and moans every two minuets, thats not commentating thats just being a woman. I would also like to see either Scott Quinell down on the touchline and ieuan evans commentating with jiffy.

JD comments on the game?
Hardly, he just shouts what he wants the players to do
"GO LEFT GO LEFT THERES A SPACE LEFT GO LEFT, ah he's kicked it"

JD comments on the game?
Hardly, he just shouts what he wants the players to do
"GO LEFT GO LEFT THERES A SPACE LEFT GO LEFT, ah he's kicked it"

"Numbers!"
"Vas' it up" if there is an injury (except if it glitches).

That Eddie Moroney cracks me up lol.

This was the voice of Rugby when I was growing up

Quinn%2C%20Keith003-0-238-0-0.jpg

Keith Quinn

Phil Kearns is quite good he reminds me of a few of my friends and Jonathan Davies because Jonathan was a good player in his time and has some good insight.

Last edited:
Haha, I would love Quinny to be in the game!!! especially cause he commentated alot during the 'Lomu Era'

That Eddie Moroney cracks me up lol.

This was the voice of Rugby when I was growing up

Quinn%2C%20Keith003-0-238-0-0.jpg

Keith Quinn

Phil Kearns is quite good he reminds me of a few of my friends and Jonathan Davies because Jonathan was a good player in his time and has some good insight.

I agree. In New Zealand, especially when I was much younger, Keith Quinn was the voice of rugby to me. I never quite know how to feel when I hear him commentate in College Rugby or the 7's Circut, for the reason that while I'd love to have that job, it's quite a step down from being the most iconic voice of rugby in New Zealand. I think Grant Nisbett is better commentator now, but Quinn was also quality. In terms of commentators, the only one to be more iconic, and as much of my memory of rugby, is Bill McLaren.

In terms of money, I'd have thought Quinn would be quite a bit cheaper to get a hold of than many more active commentators.

I agree. In New Zealand, especially when I was much younger, Keith Quinn was the voice of rugby to me. I never quite know how to feel when I hear him commentate in College Rugby or the 7's Circut, for the reason that while I'd love to have that job, it's quite a step down from being the most iconic voice of rugby in New Zealand. I think Grant Nisbett is better commentator now, but Quinn was also quality. In terms of commentators, the only one to be more iconic, and as much of my memory of rugby, is Bill McLaren.

In terms of money, I'd have thought Quinn would be quite a bit cheaper to get a hold of than many more active commentators.

And he was pretty damn good at pronoucing foreign players names too!!!

I cant believe Gordon Bray is not up there ! Its always good to hear great commentary while watching just good rugby.

The best commentary team :- Grant Nisbett, Keith Quinn and Gordon Bray. Hopefully one is chosen at least.

" Without great commentary...its just another game of rugby. "

Last edited:
If there was a way to bring Bill Mclaren back that would be the only option personally. Sadly the great man is gone so a selection of both the top SH and NH dudes, as long as it's not miles harrison, stuart barnes or that pathetic south african chap.

I don't believe it that Brian Moore is leading - He is complete rubbish - If this is gonna be a world cup in New Zealand - Have some oceanic commentary!

Andy Nicchols and yer other man who sometimes mutters on about the woes of scottish rugby at murrayfield occasionally

Can their be an option to turn it the commentary over to Owen Nkumane and Warren Brosnihan for s**** and giggles purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts