• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

COMPARED TO MADDEN & ESPN NFL

G

GarVanNeath

I know I'm carping on all the time about comparisons with the NFL games, so this is my last mention of this (honest).

Played Rugby 2005 on PC for an hour back to back with 30 mins of Madden 2005 and 30 mins of ESPN ESPN NFL2k5 on x box (sad I know, I have no life).

Suprisingly, Rugby 2005 compared quite well. Graphically and gameplay-wise, ESPN was noticeably the best of the 3, but Rugby compared quite well to Madden (dodgy replays aside). Madden`s graphics were not really much better than Rugby and Madden played way too "fast".

ESPN with the gameplay set to "slow" was the best - the fends, side steps and shoulder charges are awesome, watching the re-pay of a good running play is as fun as executing the play itself.

Rugby 2005 certainly plays at the right speed, rugby games need to play quite slow coz there is so much going on.

Perhaps the use of the FIFA engine for Rugby 2005 was not as much of a "faux pas" as I originally thought.

Lot of room for imrpovement with Rugby 2005 but it's good fun - hope EA build on this and bring out improved versions each year.

Sega have lost the NFL licence to EA, so perhaps they'll turn to rugby to fill the gap in their franchises ? "ESPN Rugby2k6" ? Don't think so somehow, but it would be wicked if they did.

Remembering EA's first 2 attempts at Rugby, I doubt that we want to see Sega try to learn from scratch now we actually have an 'almost there' game.

Besides, Sega will make a ESPN FifPro Football game before a rugby game.

could Sega get the college football licence. Other than that that i don't know where they'll go..either made up teams or high school football!

sega have teamed with madden in the future. the new game wont be called madden but ea nfl 2007 - or something like that. espn are helping madden make the new games - that means they will be awsome!

ESPN helping to make new nfl games - good news indeed. Hopefully we'll get the best of both games in the next nfl game.

ESPN are not helping EA, EA has also bought all the espn broadcasting rights, so they can use the ESPN interface and presenters and so on. They called this "working together" in their press release, but all it means is that EA has killed ESPN football good and proper and I doubt well see a football game like it again. Just more re runs of madden with its yearly gimmick like create a fan. ESPN was ten times the game madden ever was, but rather than take it as a wake up call, they just shut the competition down. They did this coz they have no interest in reworking madden into a new football game, it will stay the same as always, bar some gimmick that no self respecting football fan will want any part of. I for one will not be buying there product.

Hopefully the sega team can get a college licence, just one more game from them will last me five years without madden.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 31 2005, 07:08 AM
Remembering EA's first 2 attempts at Rugby, I doubt that we want to see Sega try to learn from scratch now we actually have an 'almost there' game.
I am pretty sure that Rugby World Cup '95 was actually EA's first attempt at a rugby game rather than Rugby 2001.

Incidently RWC95 was played on a Sega console (Megadrive).

It was also an enjoyable game too for its time. Until JLR came and killed it well and truly.

Originally posted by BOKean@Mar 31 2005, 09:56 AM
sega have teamed with madden in the future. the new game wont be called madden but ea nfl 2007 - or something like that. espn are helping madden make the new games - that means they will be awsome!
No they havent, ESPN have joined EA Sports. ESPN had nothing to do with developing the actual game, they just let Sega Sports use their logo's and presentation all over the place.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Mar 31 2005, 12:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Mar 31 2005, 12:38 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Mar 31 2005, 07:08 AM
I am pretty sure that Rugby World Cup '95 was actually EA's first attempt at a rugby game rather than Rugby 2001.

Incidently RWC95 was played on a Sega console (Megadrive).

It was also an enjoyable game too for its time. Until JLR came and killed it well and truly. [/b]
Ah... I forgot about that one...
<

anyone who thinks espn is a better game than madden lol i dont know about you.......

madden is the top selling sports game and its gameplay is way better than espn anyone who follows football knows that even game experts know espn cant mess with madden.

its sad to say but rugby is no where near as good as madden there isnt much more a person who follows football could want its like watchin a match as far wahat you can do on defence and offence all the audibles individual player assighnments on the fly.

rugby will get there eventually maby rugby for the nex-gen council will be its time.As for now im happy with the improvements from last year but rugby still has a way to go before it can be done as well as madden 2005.

Originally posted by ALLBLACKS@Apr 1 2005, 12:24 PM
anyone who thinks espn is a better game than madden lol i dont know about you.......

madden is the top selling sports game and its gameplay is way better than espn anyone who follows football knows that even game experts know espn cant mess with madden.
I absolutely loathe all NFL based games personally, but as far as I know mate EVERY major games reviewers in the US rated ESPN 2k5 to be superior to madden in almost every way...

Just thought I'd point that out.

In 2003 Madden was dominant, and had been since the birth of Playstation (and probably before then).
In 2004 I think it was close, but Madden probably still had the upper ranking.
In 2005 ESPN was better.
In 2006 Madden will be better, due to the exclusive license.

oh i just got a copy of the latest official play station megazine and 2005 didnt sell as good as 2004 but it sold way more than espn.espn has never out sold madden

Originally posted by ALLBLACKS@Apr 1 2005, 02:40 PM
espn has never out sold madden
thats due to the availablity of ESPN on PAL systems being 6 months after Maddens worldwide release, and also it being after the NFL season itself.
Anyway all that matters is reviews, and ESPN for both 2004, 2005 editions out rated Madden, and won best NFL game of those respective yrs.

Anyone who has had a decent go on ESPN will agree that it makes madden look very ordinary, hardcore madden fans wont be swayed, but should keep their thoughts on ESPN to themselves until theyve actually given it a chance. I have owned every copy of madden since back on the megadrive, but I will never touch it again until EA steps up and makes a better games than ESPN.

Originally posted by ak47+Apr 1 2005, 02:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Apr 1 2005, 02:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ALLBLACKS
@Apr 1 2005, 02:40 PM
thats due to the availablity of ESPN on PAL systems being 6 months after Maddens worldwide release, and also it being after the NFL season itself.
[/b]
But in America Madden sold more in the 1st week than ESPN did in the first month - and ESPN was out for 5 weeks before Madden was released

Originally posted by Ripper+Apr 1 2005, 07:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Apr 1 2005, 07:06 PM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Apr 1 2005, 02:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ALLBLACKS
@Apr 1 2005, 02:40 PM

But in America Madden sold more in the 1st week than ESPN did in the first month - and ESPN was out for 5 weeks before Madden was released [/b]
but that doesn't mean Madden is better does it? Otherwise reviewers like gamespot etc wouldn't have rated ESPN 2k5 to be superior woulf they?

You have to remember that sales aren't always an indication of quality... Starbucks sells more coffee than anyone in the world, but the quality of their coffee is nothing better than mediocre...

the ESPN game was half the price of madden aswell(i think $20 US)
and the reviews i read said Madden was better

Originally posted by TRUTH@Apr 1 2005, 07:22 PM
the ESPN game was half the price of madden aswell(i think $20 US)
and the reviews i read said Madden was better
I only checked the GP, IGN and XBOX magazine... They all said ESPN was better. But hey, I've never played either of them so I can't really say personally. My point was that if Madden was so vastly superior, then why are so many people saying ESPN is better?

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Mar 31 2005, 12:38 PM
Until JLR came and killed it well and truly.
and still is.... although the gab is shorter now than ever...

Latest posts