• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Computer Difficulties

S

Saint N Sinner

Hey guys...

I am having major problems with my system up to recent. (I am going to cut right to the chase here)

My system just randomly shuts itself down, my friend seems to think its spyware, so I rebooted in safe mode and scanned for spyware, but just like in normal mode it died again during the scan boo!

It seems to pick moments like when I have had MSN running for a short while, or when I am scanning or alterating/clearing the registry/cleaning computer.

I can't seem to do anything! I still think it is something to do with my hardware...

Please help!

could be a virus, that is not detected by your software

or it could be a driver issue, need more info of your specs

eg motherboard, videocard etc.

what sort of shutting down is it? is it a straight restart, or does it look like the normal start shutdown option? or does it just power off completly?

does it come up with "Windows is shutting down in 60 seconds" and keeps on counting down to 0?

if so, run shutdown /a each time to abort the shutdown, then look for a sasser clean up tool. symatec should have this.

if it's switching itself off instantly as opposed to "shutting down", it's most likely a hardware error. swap cards and ram in and out to see if it's either of those (obvisouly don't remove your video card as you'll need that one)

it could be VIA problems as not having via drivers installed :) i had this problem for months without even knowing what it was :)

Guys Highly recommend NOD32 for Antiviral software...

Try installing demo, complete a full scan.
Asuming your using a Microsoft based OS, use the Windows update, download all.
Try installing Windows defender as well.

Failing all that, there's a slim possibility it could be your power pack. How big is it and what are you running off it?

I have McAfee Security centre but asI scan for virus's it dies, same as when I perform a spy scan. It doesn't seem that bad when i'm not doing them things and/or using MSN.

To answer your question it just cuts out, I have to wait a short while before it will boot back up because it just powers up for a few secs then dies again.

as for the powerpack J -

MEDI-POWER ELECTRONICS INC.
Switching power supply
MODEL - AD - 1240B
INPUT - 100 - 240V - 1.2A
OUTPUT - 12V=3A 36W

There are the stats/rubbish off the power pack, I had reccomendations to remove the cover and clean the inside I might have to...

just cuts out? like turns off? sounds like a power supply issue you may need a new one, they are quite cheap and easy to install

The Machine could be overheating, is it getting real hot at the back of the unit....

You may want to take the cover off and get a can of Air Duster, which is purely compressed air, and that will blow the dust away, try cleaning your processor fan and the fan on your power supply...

I have dealt with many issues like this before...

Originally posted by Air Ben@Jul 14 2006, 09:50 AM
To answer your question it just cuts out, I have to wait a short while before it will boot back up because it just powers up for a few secs then dies again.
Definetely sounds like the power pack. You will need to get a new power pack (not THAT expensive) with a voltage higher than 240.

In attempt to remove the outer casing, which I failed to achieve totally as seems totally impossible I opted to clean the fans with a vacuum and by blowing like mad, now it seems to run fine, could be a tad faster but its actually running.

Seemed like it was overheating, I will have to get some more RAM soon as this is getting a tad annoying.

Thanks for the help, I shall post if I have any more problems.

i had the same problem, computer was overheating in the hot weather, i bought a new fan and shoved it inside.

I have got the same problem as Air Ben. It seems that every time I play a game on the pc, the pc just shuts off. I'm unsure whether its the Hard Drive, Power Supply, Overheating or something else.

I have got the side of the case off & I am constantly cleaning it & nothing seems to work.

I bought 3 fans to try & help to cool the system, but the fans didn't come with screws, so I have got them on the base.

I have run numerous Anti-Virus/spyware checks & its comes up fine.

Originally posted by Air Ben@Jul 14 2006, 01:56 AM
Hey guys...

I am having major problems with my system up to recent. (I am going to cut right to the chase here)

My system just randomly shuts itself down, my friend seems to think its spyware, so I rebooted in safe mode and scanned for spyware, but just like in normal mode it died again during the scan boo!

It seems to pick moments like when I have had MSN running for a short while, or when I am scanning or alterating/clearing the registry/cleaning computer.

I can't seem to do anything! I still think it is something to do with my hardware...

Please help!
If it's the blue screen of death, you need to update your bios. Check your motherboards manufacturers website (eg. Asus) to get the u[date programme.

It's than a simple case of telling it to update, restarting the machine than 'ZING!', the crashing stops!

John, it sounds like its your hardrive.

My computer is running fine now I have cleaned it but because of the hot weather I have a fan about 5 metres away from it breezing in its direction just in case.

And after cleaning it I have found its running almost as good as new, as I said I just need some more RAM in it, I think its only 256 or something along them lines.

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Jul 15 2006, 08:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Air Ben
@Jul 14 2006, 01:56 AM
Hey guys...

Please help!
If it's the blue screen of death, you need to update your bios. Check your motherboards manufacturers website (eg. Asus) to get the u[date programme.

It's than a simple case of telling it to update, restarting the machine than 'ZING!', the crashing stops! [/b]
Sorry to be responding to this, as it was ment for Air Ben, but I haven't been able to update my bios.

I have done numerous ways & it doesn't work, I think it may be the floppy disks I am using.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Jul 15 2006, 10:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jul 15 2006, 09:48 AM

If it's the blue screen of death
:eek:

None existant these days, surely?? [/b]
Well in Vista (Next Version of Windows) it will be the Red Screen of Death as well as the Blue Screen...

And the Red Screen is meant to be the Bigger and Badder Brother of the Blue Screen of Death!!!

Latest posts