TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Felipe-Contepomi-and-Mathieu-Bastareau-Toulon_2521821.jpg

According to reports in the French press, Toulon and Pumas playmaker Felipe Contepomi will be reunited with coach Michael Cheika at Stade Français next season.

The deal is set to be part of a swap with France centre Mathieu Bastareaud, who still has two years left on his contract with Stade Français.

http://www.planet-rugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_6895001,00.html

I still don't see why they Stade have done this. Bastareaud is so young and has a long career ahead where as Contepomi, while a very classy player, can only have another year, maybe two of rugby left in him. Interesting if Toulon get Sonny Bill Williams after the RWC, as Williams and Bastareaud would make a monster centre pairing.

I still don't see why they Stade have done this. Bastareaud is so young and has a long career ahead where as Contepomi, while a very classy player, can only have another year, maybe two of rugby left in him. Interesting if Toulon get Sonny Bill Williams after the RWC, as Williams and Bastareaud would make a monster centre pairing.

Fact Stade need a flyhalf. They have been poor since Hernández left. The worst two seasons in the history of the club in the Top 14 to be exact. Lionel Beauxis has been utter rubbish as a playmaker. He was good as a fullback with Hernández playing 10 in 2008-2009. He has gone for Toulouse which is a good career move for him as he is today fourth choice for France.

Bastareaud has been poor this season hence his spot in the French team has been taken by others. Stade Français do not need him and he dies not combine with Cheikas game plan. They need centres who link not steamroll. Gonzalo Tiesi is better in this regard as is Paul Warwick and the pair may well be the 12-13 combination with Contepomi at 10.

Toulon are not only losing Contepomi but also May, Auelua and Kefu, meaning 4 centres are leaving. Gavin Henson will be gone too. So its really perfect for both teams. Matt Giteau will be used as a 12 with Bastareaud and Lovobalavu being the 13´s. Sonny Bill could help with 12 to enable Wilko and Giteau to work together much like Wilko and Contepomi have dnoe this season.

Stade are also signing Warwick from Munster should they should have a bit of cover at 10.

Lets not forget Warwick is wanting to be a 10 so this should be interesting.

Contepomi is equally adept at centre, I'd probably say he's actually better there. Some 10/12 combination of Warwick and Contepomi should serve Stade well enough next season anyways, although neither of them are exactly spring chickens.

Contepomi is equally adept at centre, I'd probably say he's actually better there. Some 10/12 combination of Warwick and Contepomi should serve Stade well enough next season anyways, although neither of them are exactly spring chickens.

100% agree. Contepomi is a much better 12 than a 10. It will be interesting to see what happens.

In my opinion Warwick is best at 15 but still has a few good years in him, Contepomi is alot closer to the end but all Stade want I presume is one good year to get them back amongst the big boys

In my opinion Warwick is best at 15 but still has a few good years in him, Contepomi is alot closer to the end but all Stade want I presume is one good year to get them back amongst the big boys

You may be right but SF won´t play Warwick at 15 as they have Rodriguez and Southwell.

Contepomi must be at the end of the road surely. He will be 34 at this years World Cup. I can´t see SF thinking much further than this year. They´ll have some 18 year old in the works surely.

And this will help either party how? One side is a washed up old man attempting to play out the better days until he drops out of contention completely and the other is Felipe Contepomi.

Suppose it makes it look like Toulon are signing more French players.

Bastareaud wanted to leave SF, which is what made everything easier.
I don't really believe Contepomi's move, though. He is paid 300.000 euros per year at RCT and has one year left of his contract. SF surely can't match this salary (Bastareaud earns less than half of that), given the financial problems they have had of late, and Contepomi at this age probably cares (and perhaps should care) about the money more than he did four or five years ago.
Plisson has been a decent cover at 10 for SF, but having someone experienced to help him out for a year or two doesn't seem that stupid. The he can take over.
My club's training takes place right after SF's "Espoirs" squad (U-23 I think) an they don't really seem to be producing anything suitable of joining their first team atm (except for a Bastareaud-esque centre, but he doen's really know a lot about rugby yet).

I don't really believe Contepomi's move, though. He is paid 300.000 euros per year at RCT and has one year left of his contract. SF surely can't match this salary (Bastareaud earns less than half of that), given the financial problems they have had of late, and Contepomi at this age probably cares (and perhaps should care) about the money more than he did four or five years ago.
Plisson has been a decent cover at 10 for SF, but having someone experienced to help him out for a year or two doesn't seem that stupid. The he can take over.
My club's training takes place right after SF's "Espoirs" squad (U-23 I think) an they don't really seem to be producing anything suitable of joining their first team atm (except for a Bastareaud-esque centre, but he doen's really know a lot about rugby yet).

Contepomi is good mates with Cheika so I would assume mates rates would have been discussed.

Contepomi was play in shadow of Jonny Wilkinson this year, and he wiil be a best N°10 at Stade Français next year. And it's true TRF_Cymro, with Cheika like friend and manager it will be all benefict for him.

I hope they will perform better in the T14 than they did this year.

As mentioned earlier, he already is playing a bit of an understudy to Wilkinson at 10, and with Matt Giteau and possibly Sonny Bill Williams coming in next season, it'd be hard for him to get as much game time as he would at SF.

Fantastic move, Although one thinks too little too late... Never should have gone to Toulon in the first place!

I hope they will perform better in the T14 than they did this year.

With all of the issues going on at the club one would suspect this is just the beginning of their downward spiral. Let's see if they can recover.

Felipe Contepomi has confirmed move to SF Paris

Guys, its official - Felipe has confirmed in an interview with Argentine site scrum.com.ar that he has agreed to a two year deal at Stade Français.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1303907&s=rug&type=story

He´ll join five fellow Argentine players - four of whom are certainties for the World Cup. (Rodrigo Roncero, Gonzalo Tiesi, Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga, Pedro Ledesma, Juan Manuel Leguizamón).

Guys, its official - Felipe has confirmed in an interview with Argentine site scrum.com.ar that he has agreed to a two year deal at Stade Français.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1303907&s=rug&type=story

He´ll join five fellow Argentine players - four of whom are certainties for the World Cup. (Rodrigo Roncero, Gonzalo Tiesi, Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga, Pedro Ledesma, Juan Manuel Leguizamón).

Great, a godd way of proving me wrong. Has the amount of the contracts been disclosed?

I hope they do well next year. Living in Paris, it is convenient to have SF playing well and not having to go to Colombes to see some good rugby.

Latest posts