• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Could I play at full back?

Reacher

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Odd question I know but thanks for reading. I haven't played for a few years and want to start playing again in the summer.

When I last played I was a full back and enjoyed playing there. I'm 18 and 5 foot 8 inches tall. I weigh just over 12 stone. Obviously the physical side of it is only half of it but am I a good size for a 15 now and what would you guys recommend if not?

Skill wise I'm pretty quick, good communication and am good under the high ball. Will need to work on my kicking but I'd just like to know which position I'd suit now after not playing for 3 years so I can focus on the right things.

Thank you

Last edited:
FB is a tricky position (albeit my favourite). Being the last person on the team generally gives you a better perspective, but that comes at a cost: you need to know how to use it. It's (relatively) easy to train high balls and kicking. I'd say positioning is the hardest trick to master. Being fast definitely helps, but being able to read the game is essential. Both in offense and defense. Things like where to insert yourself in offense, when not to, when to kick and when to counterattack, when to kick and chase, when to kick and let others chase. Takes time.

FB is one of those positions where every mistake you make will be very exposed. When the FH misses a tackle, the flanker, the FB, the IC can come to the rescue. When the FB misses a tackle it generally means points on the board.

Then again, you're young so i say go for it.

If you've only been off a few years you should be fine. I took 8 years off and got back into rugby and played blindside where as previously I was a centre/fullback. Key thing for me is that I just had to start playing again to really get a feel for the position, the same may go for you. Things like positioning will come with game time, otherwise just concentrate on the basics of rugby. Tackle, pass, kick, ruck. Don't over think it. Just sign up, train, eat and sleep well and have fun.

A similar position that may suit you could be the wing. In NZ anyway our back three tend to be able to do all roles. The likes of Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Nehe Milner Skudder are all handy on the wing or at the back. Maybe an alternate position to consider, especially that you mention you're quick too.

Thanks guys. I've played at scrum half in the past as well and felt comfortable there. Does my build favour a 9 or a 15 do you think? Skill wise I feel comfortable in both really.

I'd go play which ever position has the most game time available haha. But you say you're a good build for 15 so go for that and see how it goes.

Latest posts