• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Could I play Fly-Half

Come on England

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hi, I am 14 (15 on Wednesday), 5 foot 7, and weigh around 9 stone.

My main strengths are my passing and evasive skills, and I can kick the ball pretty well.

I have decent pace, but my defence is poor - although I am prepared to work on it.

Thanks.

Matthew Morgan (Ospreys fly-half) is only an inch taller than you and is 20 years old, and he is a great fly-half. He's not starting regularly in the first team but he's getting better every game and shows real promise. He's just over 11 st, but being only 14/15 years old you will obviously bulk out more with age.

But overall Morgan is testament to the fact that small players can still thrive in the game, even with the sport evolving to be more physical.

I'd say keep working at your defense (which will probably be the main area that would propel you from being just an average player to being a decent/stand-out one) and good luck! I'm envious of people that are your age and getting into playing the sport. I regret not trying to get into playing rugby at an early age and bulking out, so make the most of it!

Thanks for your answers - much appreciated.

First up, why do you reckon I will be a better 9 than 10?

Do you think I am relatively small/slight for my age then, and is there anything I can work and improve on?

Mate I'm about 5'10-5'11, 75kgs on a good day and I'm 22. I play halfback while I would love to play 10 I don't have the fast brain for it. I guess you just have to see where you're more comfortable.

Hi, I am 14 (15 on Wednesday), 5 foot 7, and weigh around 9 stone.

My main strengths are my passing and evasive skills, and I can kick the ball pretty well.

I have decent pace, but my defence is poor - although I am prepared to work on it.

Thanks.

Yeah I'm sure you could. Just work on your defence. And keep working on your pass, that's a fly-halves greatest asset. Your size is irrelevant, international fly-halves vary greatly in size, Serevi is only 5'7. You also need to make sure you are very vocal on the pitch, literally screaming at players, telling them where to stand, constantly talking to the scrum half and any forward runners you have lurking. If you're lacking in confidence with your tackling, maybe get headgear and shoulder pads. Work on your technique. I'm 90kg and play in the centres, but often have to deal with big maori or islander boys who can be 110kg+ so technique is incredibly important. You can't run in and smash these guys, you'll lose. There are lots of different ways of bringing down big guys, so focus on your technique and don't worry about your lack of size.

Last edited:

Latest posts