• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Coventry RFC

Really sad story from a once great club. I dont know the ins and outs, but I presume poor management and the fact that they didnt embrace the pro era has led to this situation. This is a lesson to any top club that you have to enjoy the good times and be financially prudent or this could happen to you. Good luck Cov, hope you can raise the money, find a backer and climb back to the big time.

That is really sad. Rugby just seems to be dying a very short death in Birmingham & Coventry. Especially sad considering the great strides that are being made by the likes of Nottingham Rugby barely 60 miles away...

It's not looking too good for high level rugby in the area... So many local clubs at grass roots level, but just not enough support for the bigger clubs. It seems that all the people that would be interested in turning up every saturday to support coventry are busy playing for and supporting thier own club. It'll be bad news for all of the local clubs if coventry is lost, as they do a lot of work with kids from all over the area. Lets hope the money can be raised...

Aye hopefully they wont go bankrupt!

The old man was set to have a possible career there in there hay day but that is another story for another day!

C'mon the midlands massive someone with a bit of money have a heart!

Unfortunately for Coventry, they have such a weak squad that their rugby isnt't good enough to pull in the fans - Don't get me wrong, they play with plenty of heart, but their players simply aren't of a high enough calibre.

Another problem for them is the abundance of other established clubs locally who will prize fans away. Leicester and Northampton are the obvious pair, but Bedford are also one of the most famous teams in the world while Nottingham have a good chance of becoming a Premiership side after next season.

It's a sad tale for what was the most dominant side in the country once upon a time, but that's the sad downfall of the dod-eat-dog world of pro era. The same thing happened to Orrell (although Wigan RL also had a lot to do with stripping their assets). I fear this won't be the last time an established and historical club suffers - A pitty they're not in London or the west country. The RFU would bail them out if that were the case.

Well it's not looking good... 1 week left to raise 100k, with only 13k raised so far.

Latest posts