TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
[TEXTAREA]SA Rugby Test referee Craig Joubert on Wednesday announced his retirement from XV-a-side refereeing to take up his “dream jobâ€, developing elite young match officials.

Joubert, 39, has accepted a new position with World Rugby as a “Referee Talent Development Coachâ€, to help identify and develop the next crop of top men’s and women’s referees in both sevens and XVs.

This full-time position, which was globally advertised, will involve coaching and mentoring referees on the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series circuit, where Joubert will continue to officiate.[/TEXTAREA]

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/craig-joubert-hangs-up-his-whistle-20161207

I was with my bird all evening. Never left the house all week. Wisnae me. More seriously, goodbye Joubert. Much better with the SA's award winning ref Rasta, as we saw when they both reffed at Rio. Here is Rasta in action last week. Watch carefully for a cheap giggle.

https://youtu.be/qFLYDnZP93Y

Generally a good Ref, but blotted his copybook twice by forgetting the old adage "The Ref puts his whistle away in the last 10 minutes."
He did this brilliantly in the 2011 World Cup Final. However forgot to do it, and made match deciding mistakes, in the 2015 Scot v Aus game and the Super 15 final between Warratahs and Crusaders.

Well, we know now Peyper will probably ref one of the Lions tests:(.

Well, we know now Peyper will probably ref one of the Lions tests:(.

He didn't look up to it in the Ireland v All Blacks game. To chose but one of his poor calls. The ball was clear of the ruck when Aaron Smith came through, from an on side position, and kicked it. Jaco gave him a yellow card.

That was just one of many of Peypers errors.

But, who am I to bash the ref, I couldn't do his job. It's swings and roundabouts and hopefully most refs will be impartial.

The alternative is that plank, Wayne Kerr Barnes or the idiot TMO from SA :D

He didn't look up to it in the Ireland v All Blacks game. To chose but one of his poor calls. The ball was clear of the ruck when Aaron Smith came through, from an on side position, and kicked it. Jaco gave him a yellow card.

Mind boggling.
You perform a great piece of legal play and not only do you get penalised for it you get yellow carded as well.

I think Jaco was angry at Smith because Smith didn't select him for some special toilet time.

Oh Come on. Why bash the refs in this thread???

Why not pay respects to one of the best referees there have ever been to the modern game?? Not a single referee is without fault, and every poster will be able to throw in a name with a few howlers they have made over the years.

Why not just pay respects, just like we do when players retire and leave it at that?

Good refs are hard to come by and he is one of them.

I thought it was quite a compliment to Joubert to say I'd prefer him to ref over Peyper.

I always liked Joubert. Thought even with a few mind blowing moments - he was always fair and consistent. Seems always to be great at communicating with players.

Why should I have to pay respects to a referee I was never convinced about.
Joubert was OK, thats it. He always seemed to me to struggle to get the balance right between too much whistling and letting the game flow.
He's not a bad person, just not a great referee.
He reminds me of Paddy O'Brien, a nice fella but an average referee.

Jaco is flat out awful at this stage.
Wayne Barnes seems to be improving with age. Still too keen on the whistle but mellowing as he gets older.
Nigel Owen is the template for international rugby referees, he seems like he is really out on his own and hopefully more refs will try to emulate his easy no nonsense style.
The rugby world refereeing body should get him as soon as he retires and give him the job of training the new breed international refs.
My other fave ref was Steve Walsh but we never got him because he was a Kiwi. I enjoyed watching the games he reffed, except when he was having 'hair time', he was a bit of a poser.

Last edited:
Liked him, paid more dearly than most for his mistakesbut at least he never shied away from decisions...

In other refereeing news did you hear Wayne Bar... *stutters* Wales beat Ireland in next years 6nations today?

In other refereeing news did you hear Wayne Bar... *stutters* Wales beat Ireland in next years 6nations today?

Now that's funny, right there :)

One referee that's impressed me lately is the ex-Maori All Black, Sarries, Barbars and Chiefs first-five, Glen Jackson.

Right on the ball, that one. Really reads the game and very good, technically. One to watch.

Now that's funny, right there :)

One referee that's impressed me lately is the ex-Maori All Black, Sarries, Barbars and Chiefs first-five, Glen Jackson.

Right on the ball, that one. Really reads the game and very good, technically. One to watch.

So it is him?
I was looking at him and thinking, "I've seen that bloke before..." He WAS the Chief's first five for a while. Former Bay of Plenty player.

I've only seen him officiating the once so far and i thought he was quite good.

Always felt too much attention was paid to Jouberts communication skills and not enough to the accuracy of his decisions. Decent ref but there have been many better.

His performance in the 2011 World Cup final where he completely abrogated his responsibility to a fair contest will always be a blight on his record.

So it is him?
I was looking at him and thinking, "I've seen that bloke before..." He WAS the Chief's first five for a while. Former Bay of Plenty player.

I've only seen him officiating the once so far and i thought he was quite good.

I had to check when I saw him named as Ref (can't remember which game it was).

Did a good job though from what I remember.

It is a reality of life that people are remembered for their few mistakes, not for the thousands of correct decisions. I am also guilty of ref-bashing most weekends but can I do better? No chance.

It is only Bryce Lawrence who is excluded from the above......

Always felt too much attention was paid to Jouberts communication skills and not enough to the accuracy of his decisions. Decent ref but there have been many better.

His performance in the 2011 World Cup final where he completely abrogated his responsibility to a fair contest will always be a blight on his record.

Keep in mind that CJ missed a blatant offside that lead to France's try, so it wasn't all one way.

I like to think of CJ's performance in that match as a kind of "redressing of the balance" after Barnes shafted us in 2007 with what was undoubtedly the most inept test refereeing performance in the history of the professional game..Swings & Roundabouts, and karma can be a real *****.

The main thing is that CJ learned from that, and Barnes didn't. Barnes is still useless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts