• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

And you'll get a similar response from Kiwi's if you suggest their rugby team is made up Pacific Islanders.

Perhaps. But you know just as well as I do how England have been obtaining players from other nations that's not similar to the PI and NZ nature of it being close.

Take KP and Keyton Jennings as a prime example...

But yeah, I get your point.
Theres a difference between training and and an actual competition game and you don't know the kid. It was done to deliberately scare and intimidate him to the extent the rest opposing team apologised at the pub afterwards.

The bouncer in its nature is used to deliberately scare and intimidate the batsmen. There's no other delivery that is feared more. But sounds to me that this was the 1 in 100 times it was used maliciously. Which again is not the norm and seems like the issue was amicably resolved without causing further controversy, which is not the case in what we discussed.

KP was your own damn fault ;) That was less a poach and more a desertion.

TBF I wasn't happy about Archer at the start of the tournament he played great but I didn't like he was parachuted into the team. A team that was performing exceptionally well without him.

Stokes and Roy both moved at 10 and 11.

That leaves Morgan who we already covered earlier but reality is most Irish cricketers aim to play for England.

The frustrating part with these conversation is racists moan about our diverse team from different ethnic backgrounds then other team complain about our poaching.

KP was your own damn fault ;) That was less a poach and more a desertion.

TBF I wasn't happy about Archer at the start of the tournament he played great but I didn't like he was parachuted into the team. A team that was performing exceptionally well without him.

Stokes and Roy both moved at 10 and 11.

That leaves Morgan who we already covered earlier but reality is most Irish cricketers aim to play for England.

The frustrating part with these conversation is racists moan about our diverse team from different ethnic backgrounds then other team complain about our poaching.

at least you don't have quotas

Look out for the name Tom Banton impressed heavily in the domestic one day competition.

Just hit 64 off 34 balls in his first ever T20 pro match.

Also AB De Villiers remains a class act.

It was Sunday League cricket its pretty low tier stuff. It wasn't uncommon to make up numbers players kids played. Umpiring was done by the batting side. Plus it was perfectly legal delivery. Normally there is gentlemen's agreement that you only bowl half pacers to the kids or use your spinners. Your there to help learn cricket and enjoy the game. And if they were batting they were doing so at the tail end, chances were you were going to win. This was also a time before helmets were common place.

Our captain did declare an innings on the 38th over of a 40 over match because of it.

that honestly seems like someone needed to either not let the kids play because they bowler was being a jerk or someone needed to tell the bowler to pull his head in

and in all fairness...im not convinced 11 years Kane Williamson/steve smith et al couldnt knock any bouncer i gave him for six

i know im coming from a viewpoint on this kind of thing, i have the same one in rugby...less rules...especially for things that happen once in the blue moon, thats the one of the problems with rugby, keep making new rules to fix the ones that dont work, i dont think people should be penilised for accidents...they're accidents.

Back to the example that started the conversation...isn't not getting the run out enough of a penalty?

edit: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...jTMvXDTg9msbO5XxC1vl5sXPAV2o8qnMVfYOc6zEoFJIU

Stokes winning NZer of the year would be hilarious, cant really argue, world cup winner, MOM in the final, impeccable sportsmanship as far as ive seen

Last edited:
The thing is if Ben Stokes played for NZ a lot of the same people would be shouting just as loudly (probably louder) they it's RIDICULOUS because he's CLEARLY ENGLISH he's got an English accent, he played all his professional cricket in England etc etc. Anyone who has a legit claim to 2 separate nationalities literally cannot win with some people.

Jabby, to be clear that's not directed at you, I know you're just posting a tongue-in-cheek joke! I'm just generally ranting...

The thing is if Ben Stokes played for NZ a lot of the same people would be shouting just as loudly (probably louder) they it's RIDICULOUS because he's CLEARLY ENGLISH he's got an English accent, he played all his professional cricket in England etc etc. Anyone who has a legit claim to 2 separate nationalities literally cannot win with some people.

Jabby, to be clear that's not directed at you, I know you're just posting a tongue-in-cheek joke! I'm just generally ranting...

No offence. But Most English speaking South Africans that has English as their home language, have an english accent. Some of them have never set foot in the UK.

No offence. But Most English speaking South Africans that has English as their home language, have an english accent. Some of them have never set foot in the UK.
No offence taken. I'm not sure what point you are making with this though? Genuine question

Also, I've met quite a lot of South Africans (not as many as you, obviously) and I've never spoken to one brought up in SA who had an English accent - notwithstanding there are hundreds of different English accents plus various Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish. Not to question you, but I wonder if it's just that coming from different places we have a different idea of what an "English" accent sounds like? In the same way that (say) an Aussie who lives here for 10 years still sounds full-on Australian to me, but when they go home for Christmas all their friends and family rip on them for speaking like a bloody Pom??

No offence taken. I'm not sure what point you are making with this though? Genuine question

Also, I've met quite a lot of South Africans (not as many as you, obviously) and I've never spoken to one brought up in SA who had an English accent - notwithstanding there are hundreds of different English accents plus various Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish. Not to question you, but I wonder if it's just that coming from different places we have a different idea of what an "English" accent sounds like? In the same way that (say) an Aussie who lives here for 10 years still sounds full-on Australian to me, but when they go home for Christmas all their friends and family rip on them for speaking like a bloody Pom??

Well I guess that's a matter of interpretation. To be honest, I haven't listened to Stokes speaking so intently to figure out his accent and whether he has lost that dialect of being more Down Under-ish that the British people.

But I get what you are saying. I just wanted to bring up the point that using a person's dialect or the way they are speaking a bit of a weakish way to seperate him for the flock where he came from.

Well I guess that's a matter of interpretation. To be honest, I haven't listened to Stokes speaking so intently to figure out his accent and whether he has lost that dialect of being more Down Under-ish that the British people.

But I get what you are saying. I just wanted to bring up the point that using a person's dialect or the way they are speaking a bit of a weakish way to seperate him for the flock where he came from.
OK I see what you mean. I agree that accent doesn't mean much for defining nationality - my point was that some people would make that point IF he was playing for NZ, because some people in the world seem obsessed with belittling any international player's right to play for the country they choose.

It's an old old argument, I'm sorry to rehash it - I normally avoid engaging, but it just caught me at a bad time! Especially because it seems a bit salty of some Kiwis to bang on about Stokes being NZ when the team themselves showed nothing but good sportsmanship. Guptil signalling 6 was pure class.

OK I see what you mean. I agree that accent doesn't mean much for defining nationality - my point was that some people would make that point IF he was playing for NZ, because some people in the world seem obsessed with belittling any international player's right to play for the country they choose.

It's an old old argument, I'm sorry to rehash it - I normally avoid engaging, but it just caught me at a bad time! Especially because it seems a bit salty of some Kiwis to bang on about Stokes being NZ when the team themselves showed nothing but good sportsmanship. Guptil signalling 6 was pure class.

Oh, kiwis have no right to be salty about Stokes. How many Saffas are in their team on a regular basis?

Seems like they are also forgetting what happened in the 2015 CWC semi-final between SA and NZ, when a saffa hit the winning 6 for NZ in the final over to send them to the finals. Karma...

Maybe,. We'll give him the benefit, but it was clear cut and he'd have looked pretty silly on TV review if he hadn't. Bar fine catches behind cricketers are generally pretty honest.
Knicking the ball as well although the advent of DRS and UltraEdge has stopped a lot of not walking although it still happens.

I think the list of different nationalities that went into the England team was a joke definitely, I know we have PIs playing for the ABs and even the odd Aussie and saffa playing for the black caps, it's just how it is

I don't think many kiwis seriously get salty about countries with naturalised players, I think some of us just like returning the favour after copping it so often in regards to the all blacks, we all live in glass houses

With the nz of the year thing...I actually don't mind, what I said before was true about being a good sport etc

It would be good thing to show nz in general is gutted with with result but know there was no bad play from England

I didn't think anyone was actually trying to claim him and a kiwi again, more using where he was born as a tip of the hat to a good sport, and maybe for his mum and dad

Last edited:
I think the list of different nationalities that went into the England team was a joke definitely, I know we have PIs playing for the ABs and even the odd Aussie and saffa playing for the black caps, it's just how it is

I don't think many kiwis seriously get salty about countries with naturalised players, I think some of us just like returning the favour after copping it so often in regards to the all blacks, we all live in glass houses

With the nz of the year thing...I actually don't mind, what I said before was true about being a good sport etc

It would be good thing to show nz in general is gutted with with result but know there was no bad play from England

I didn't think anyone was actually trying to claim him and a kiwi again, more using where he was born as a tip of the hat to a good sport, and maybe for his mum and dad
You're probably right, it's probably light-hearted and well-meaning. It's easy to get sensitive about it though because there is so much crap talked about anyone in the position of being able to choose between 2 countries. Especially when they choose England.

The "joke" about "2 Pakistanis" which has been doing the rounds though ... like, I know no harm meant and I'm sure most people sharing it don't really know what they're doing but that is really ******* sensitive, they were both born in Britain and lived their whole lives here. You cannot look past the fact that the only way someone has picked them out as "not British" is because they have brown skin and Muslim names. Same as the "NZ poaching from PI" bullshit - it's only brown skin and long names which make some people pick players out as "not Kiwis".

Maybe,. We'll give him the benefit, but it was clear cut and he'd have looked pretty silly on TV review if he hadn't. Bar fine catches behind cricketers are generally pretty honest.
Oh I know, but still for me, the fact that in the heat of the moment it was his instant reaction shows class. He didn't wait and weigh up his options, he just immediately, unthinkingly did the right thing - I think that shows integrity.

What the hell!

Just turned on the telly and saw that England was bowled out! At home, with this being their lowest score in tests in England.

I guess we will know how many demons this pitch have after Ireland's first innings...

Latest posts