• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cross field kicking?

M

Munky

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyboidy knows if attacking cross field kicks are a valid strategy in R2005?

They worked brilliantly off the scrum in R2001, hell once the AI did a perfectly executed one out to Lomu in open play which lead to a try!

The Cross field kick has been missing in all Rugby games since R2001 and I don't have high hopes regarding R2005 kicking system.

i havent played 2005 yet, but the idea of the cross kicking reminded me of JLR, when i perfected bombs, cross-kicks and grubbers, it was so awesome.

It seems like Locksley has refused to answer any questions about the grubber (I have touched on a few times but heard nothing)...

It must be totally unusable.

I'd like to think it's an untapped strategy but I doubt it.

Having said that, and knowing they've got the missed penalty goal/ball still in play correct (finally!) -- I'm wondering if you can go for a penalty very badly and collect it as if it were a cross field kick?

MMMmmmmmmmmm

Juicy!

Answer on the grubber please Locksley - eben though I will MAKE it work!!

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 21 2005, 01:43 PM

Having said that, and knowing they've got the missed penalty goal/ball still in play correct (finally!) -- I'm wondering if you can go for a penalty very badly and collect it as if it were a cross field kick?
I've always wonder if in rugby if a player lining up for a penalty goal can just kick the ball up into his hands and run unchallenged for atleast half the distance to the tryline or all the way if the defence is asleep?

Originally posted by Munky+Feb 21 2005, 01:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Munky @ Feb 21 2005, 01:48 PM)</div>
Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 21 2005, 01:43 PM

I've always wonder if in rugby if a player lining up for a penalty goal can just kick the ball up into his hands and run unchallenged for atleast half the distance to the tryline or all the way if the defence is asleep? [/b]
That, I don't think so.

You have to make it look like a legit kick for post, or something akin to that.

---
And Los Lover,

<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover

It seems like Locksley has refused to answer any questions about the grubber (I have touched on a few times but heard nothing)...

Chill.

There are only 7,000,000 questions on here.

Chill.

Might have misunderstood the tone...

What I meant was: Locksley has answered so many questions about the game including the most minute of things (who gives a flying f*** about the colour of the Lion's socks?), it seems a tad unusual one of the main kicking devices is not mentioned, ESPECIALLY as it was unworkable in Rugby 2004. It's an improvement in this area that is well sought after and therefore more relevant than half of the other requests I've seen.

Hell, Locksley is in here right now posting and hasn't answered the question!?

I'll make it easy for him -

Grubber is a/ crap
b/ usable
c/ awesome

If locksley can't be arsed answering (fair enough) he could just put a,b,or c.

Cheers.

Los,

Locks hasn't answered the question about Lions socks.

He has answered yours though, you see, there is a thread called MY REVIEW OF RUGBY 2005, and in there he talks about the various kicks. It's worth reading.

But as for not caring about the Lions socks -- well, what kind of an indicator is it when they've got the licence for a team yet get something wrong about them. They've got the licence for the All Blacks yet you don't see them with wrong kits.

Now, don't get my tone wrong -- I know the question is fairly pedantic, but, the more you think about it, the more it shows how EA/HB can screw something up when it's handed to them on a plate. Now do you follow me, cowboy?

Originally posted by captainamerica+Feb 21 2005, 01:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Feb 21 2005, 01:58 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Munky@Feb 21 2005, 01:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 21 2005, 01:43 PM

I've always wonder if in rugby if a player lining up for a penalty goal can just kick the ball up into his hands and run unchallenged for atleast half the distance to the tryline or all the way if the defence is asleep?
That, I don't think so.

You have to make it look like a legit kick for post, or something akin to that. [/b]
i think you just have to nudge it with your foot, they did it the whole time in leauge back in the day...

Originally posted by Munky+Feb 21 2005, 01:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Munky @ Feb 21 2005, 01:48 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 21 2005, 01:43 PM

I've always wonder if in rugby if a player lining up for a penalty goal can just kick the ball up into his hands and run unchallenged for atleast half the distance to the tryline or all the way if the defence is asleep? [/b]
Not if you've signalled that you're going for goal. Rob Andrew did it once for England as the opposition assumed he'd be kicking but he never signalled it to the ref so simply tapped and went for the cheekiest try he ever scored.

a funny move when you have a penalty and the opposition are back on their try line is to just point towards the post and at the same time say to the ref "i'm not gonna kick for goal". Hopefully the opposition will lose concentration for a sec, then just tap and go for the line. I've seen this ploy work brilliantly twice, one in a schools boys game and once while i was playing 3rd's for my club. Both ended up in tries.

Btw, when kicking penalties i'm more or less sure you have to "attempt" to hit the target but if the kick slices or hooks then the ball is fair game. I have seen tries scored like this, especially on windy days when the ball flies from one touchline to the other after a penalty kick.

Latest posts