TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_53222666_cdf_h_france_wales_08-2.jpg

Crusaders have approached Wales rugby union scrum-half Mike Phillips over a possible move to the Super League side.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/13643677.stm

Doubt it's even crossed his mind to move - couldn't see it happening in a hundred years

Don't think he'd make a good league player - wouldn't suit being a hooker, or scrumhalf - could make a halfdecent centre, perhaps second row, but they'd stick him at hooker and he'd be poo

i don't think a drop in wages and attendances of 2,000 at wrexham are going to get him going! he has had a rough patch at the Ospreys, but he is still a very good player and will stay in Rugby Union i think.

Maybe Cardiff will come back in for him? He was there before, and i understand he only left for more money. Cardiff have lost a couple of 9s recently, and really need to get back on track next year. Rumour is that they want Gavin Henson too, but that is just paper talk.

i don't think a drop in wages and attendances of 2,000 at wrexham are going to get him going! he has had a rough patch at the Ospreys, but he is still a very good player and will stay in Rugby Union i think.

Maybe Cardiff will come back in for him? He was there before, and i understand he only left for more money. Cardiff have lost a couple of 9s recently, and really need to get back on track next year. Rumour is that they want Gavin Henson too, but that is just paper talk.

Cardiff certainly don't need him with Richie Rees, Lloyd Williams and Rhys Downes.

Has he ever stated a switch to league? I dont really know the positions but I think he'd do ok in league just at anywhere but scrum half as he's a bit slow in those terms somehwere where he'd see alot of ball to be physical would suit him well (I dont follow league or play ((might start soon over summer though)) so don't know positions too well)

Overall I doubt it and the roumers of a move to Bayonne seem more realistic tbh

In league hooker (9) is most like Union scrumhalf, then Scrumhalf (7) is like a Union flyhalf, and standoff (6) is like flyhalf-lite (or like a creative inside centre I suppose)

Think his best asset in league would be his size, so would think centre of second row, but if he did move, as he's a scrumhalf now, they'd put him at hooker and he'd be rubbish

However, he won't go there he'll go to France, every Welsh player that doesn't announce where they're going immediately is linked to Crusaders

If no club wants Phillips then a bid from the Crusaders could well tempt him to switch codes.

Cardiff certainly don't need him with Richie Rees, Lloyd Williams and Rhys Downes.

ok. i don't really know of all the goings on at cardiff. i had thought that downes had left though. maybe i was confusing him with allinson who went to london irish last year.

still, some union teams seem to go through the season with up to 5 scrum halfs.

i guess things are getting hard in wales. they have stepped up player development in regional rugby. consequently it seems to be getting harder to get a game. no matter where he goes in wales somebody will have their nose pushed out of joint.

i still don't see the crusaders as an option though. just not enough money and big crowds, and there is of course a lack of international level in rugby league. i think he will probably go to france or the melbourne rebels before league.

i do like league though. nothing against the sport, just it doesnt have the money or crowds right now to sign a big name from rugby union.

Latest posts