• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup discussion

Billabong Pro= ASP international surfing competition. For a bloke who loves his surfing almost as much as his hunting and his rugby, well that`s something I just can`t miss. The surfing`s been going for about 2 weeks now, and well, some magnificent performances up to date. And it`s being staged right on our doorstep here in J`Bay!

Anyway, back to the big one. Geez, I`m really liking the look of the Province backline- Jantjies, Sireli and the speed demon Chavanga as the back 3- that could very well be the best back 3 in SA domestic rugby. Great to see Dylan Des Fountain in his best position of 13- look out for this bloke gents, he`s a damn special talent. Great distribution, his schoolboy coach rates him a more creative player than Jean De Villiers. Would`ve liked Grant at 12 and Russell at 10, but so be it. Also good to see Delport at 9- I really rate this guy.

In the forwards, well mostly what I would`ve done there. Big, physical 8, decent ball-carrier and line-out option at blindside, fetcher at openside, 2 good locks, although I`d prefer Bekker and V D Merwe. Pity about Andrews, but oh well....

So all in all a good start in terms of team selection for Gary Gold. And encouragingly, on paper at least, Province appears to have the upper hand. Can`t wait for this one gents.

And welcome to Juan and Garth, stick around guys, we need some more blokes who watch regular Currie Cup rugby on here. Stick to the topics, don`t spam, and enjoy!

Ooooh darnit all, we should have gone to J-bay, with all my friends having their vacation between semesters (*I'm doing the off year thing*) it would have been awesome to check out some surfing action.

hell and we've allways said we'd go again after our matriek vacation over there (*which rocked btw*).

So the Griquas crushed the Valke, which I was pretty much expecting to tell you the truth, Valke have been going the way of the Pumas in my opinion, just terrible.

I don't think I'm going to be able to watch the Lions and WP games tommorow becuase of social engagements (*The pal we're going to doesn't have dstv, unfortunately*) But I'll still be able to catch the Tri nations and Sharks game.

I'll just have to set the PVR for the Lions and WP games.

belated games are better than no games though.

:wah:

eish sorry province, I think Cupido's arrow shot you's okes in the arses by allowing a try that was clearly not a try, what do these tmo's watch the replay's on, a 12 inch black and white or what? Willie Doos really irritated me during this game with his obsession with the breakdown to the exclusion of all other parts of the game, forward passes, blatant fists being pelted into rucks, high tackles you name it he didn't call it.

As for the Lions match, really enjoyed Ryno benjamin's series of hand-offs on burger. lekker

I'm going to murder that TMO, WP should have gotten the game, we really should have.

how does knocking the ball on twice in the end goal area = a try ?

Willie Roos was pretty retarded though, especially in playing the advantages, he was as inconsistant as a Stormers Super 14 season.

Well, this year Province have varied between looking "kak" and losing- vs. Sharks, to looking really, really "kak" and losing, vs. Boland. So this was at least a helluva improvement. Especially among the forwards, where WP actually dominated the game- not-so-steady-Eddie`s "anchoring" of the scrum excepted, of course.

QK, congrats ou grote, your team got another one over us. And well done also for Willie Doos- classic!

Right, so here is my main gripe about this game- no, not just the TMO, not just Willie Doos, but all of the match officials. Why are our local touch judges so insistent on wanting their "15 minutes of fame" every time there`s a televised match? Really did as much to break the Bulls` momentum as Doos` abjectly pathetic and overtly anal application of the breakdown rule did to both teams. And why can`t Doos make any decisions himself? Referring that 2nd droppie to the TMO- jeepers, even a blind man could`ve felt it over with his walking stick over the radio.

Boggle, I actually just finished watching the recording of this game, seeing as the Billabong Pro final only finished about 17h00, and the surf coming in afterwards during the free sessions was awesome. Do J`Bay next year during your semester break in July boet- we had the surfing, a classic road stage of the VW rally, and of course some awesome fishing just this weekend. Caught myself 11 "elwe" in just a coupe of hours Saturday evening.

The WP could easily have won the game considering the Bulls had recieved 2 yellow cards and playing with 14 men for 20 minutes. It was there for the taking but you didn't take it.

The ref had a poor game and was inconsistent, he penalised the one for something but not the other.

The try by Derick Kuun is debatable in the sense that he lost control of the ball BUT, he regathered the ball before it touched any other player or the ground.

Well everyone sees it diffirent but things like that do happen. The match is over and there's nothing that can be done to it now.

PS. Luke Watson is a doos and I'm glad he isn't in the bok squad, behaving like a little girl.

So what about the coming weekend's fixtures, two big ones for me:

Sharks & Bulls - no love lost between these two sides and the sharks would like to take a bite out of the bulls who'll be without the services of captain and workhorse wasserman, solid fullback Roets is apparently also a doubtful and Mametsa might also not be ready. Early predictometer says the Sharks will take the bait in murky waters and dissapear with the win

Cheetas at the top take on a much improved Province side that appeared reinvigorated after the dead wood has been cleared out there. I reckon they might finally get their act together and beat the cheetas in bloem, just. Eina

Bulls might get Wannenburg and Hougaard back and then there's also Lobberts. I would keep Steyn at flyhalf. Wonder why Jaco van der Westhuyzen isn't playing?

Think the Cheetahs will thump WP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpiBMLpU6U

There, I posted it on Youtube if any of you guys wanna take a look at that "try" again.

just so you can, ya know, watch how the ball get's knocked on twice again and again and again.
No need to thank me, all in a days work really ;)

So this weekend we're up against the Cheetas at home eh ?
Well I can see us at the very least being a lot more competitive now, not too convinced we will get a win though, but I'm sure we won't be running arround like headles chickens ala start of the currie cup.

Score predictions for the 2 big games please gents.

Guppies to do the business over the Bulls by 21-17, as a returning Wannenburg gets binned for repeated professional fouls after 3 minutes, and then gets red-carded for being braindead after 14 minutes.

Province to win convincingly(33-13) against the Cheetahs, as Rassie Erasmus gives both his keys to the upstairs lapa, as well as the secrets of the disco lights, to Gary Gold.

Guppies to do the business over the Bulls by 21-17, as a returning Wannenburg gets binned for repeated professional fouls after 3 minutes, and then gets red-carded for being braindead after 14 minutes.[/b]

Stupid post really.

My good man Bull, what`s so stupid about it? Suggesting that Wannenburg could get binned after 3 minutes? Coming on for the Boks vs the AB`s in this year`s Durban tri-nations game, well it took him less than 3 minutes to get himself binned. :p

And in the 2 games he started on the away leg for the "B" Boks, well he certainly also proved himself to be brainless, if maybe not braindead. Getting binned in both games- geez did this guy actually spend more time on the field or in the bin for the Boks this year? :bleh!:

WP WILL win the Currie Cup this year!They got screwed by the TMO against the Bulls :ranting:

I'm glad 2 see that there are a few WP supporter here :) GO PROVINCE!!!! :bravo:

Right, for this past weekend`s games, here is my views:

- Sharks vs. Bulls- well, considering the top 31 players in the country are busy being reconditioned, learning to speak French and listening to Eddie Moans in camp at the moment, I must say that all is well with SA rugby, going by the level of rugby produced by both teams in this game. `Twas as rugby should be played, tough, hard and uncompromising. With plenty of skill on attack and determination on defense thrown into the mix. Unfortunate then that Steyn robbed us of a massive spectacle during the last 20mins. with his moment of madness. But up to that point, well the match was just a brilliantly fierce contest. Congrats to our coastal brethren for the win. And in case anybody still wondered where the real strength in SA rugby lies after the S14, this game just proved again that they`re doing something seriously right in both Durbs and Pretoria.

- Vrystaat vs Problems- well they`re also doing something very right in Bloem these last 3 years hey. The Cheetahs are still undefeated, and looking particularly menacing. Marius Joubert especially really looked the business again, pity he hasn`t shown this type of form for the past 3 years, or he`d have also been on the plane to France. As for Province, what does the good book say about faith, hope and love? Well, I`ve lost all hope for this season, and I have zero faith left in the structures at Province, but the love remains. And the hope that next season will yield better things....

Can someone tell me how Bismarck faired, i know he blitzed in two early tries but what about later on, during the line-out and scrum time?

By the looks of it we are gonna get a Freestate Natal final.

Damn, Rassie is moving to those f***ed up Kaapstaders, i hate that! I`m thinking very seriously of changing my nick!

Hallo Bull, nice to see you !

Currie Cup still remains the best rugby teams competition in the world!

P.S: Have you seen my beloved Cheetahs trashing those Kaapstaders all over the place? Pure Vrystaat rugby! Hope to meet Blou Bulle in the final!

Howzit Rassie, and welcome to Cape Town boet. I do hope you enjoy your coaching stint as director of rugby :) .

Who knows, maybe pick up some culture along the way? The wine farms around Stellenbosch and Paarl really does produce some of the finest reds in the world. And shouldn`t you now be changing allegiance to Province since becoming our director of rugger?

Gents, here are the results from the past weekend`s games:

- Lions mauled the Griekwas 45-24, outscoring them by 6 tries to 4, in a match characterised by poor defense and schoolboy errors on both teams. Huck, I`m sure you`re chuffed your team`s got another win under their belts now, and are cruising up the log into 4th place.

- Cheetahs put a 42-22 win over the Sharks in Durbs of all places. I`m sure the Sharks fans will now understand what us WP boys were talking about when we renamed Willie Doos- 14 penalties?! But congrats to Rassie, your team looks very damn strong right now, played 6, won 6. Can`t get any better hey?

- Province finally got on the scoreboard again- winning 47-18 against the low-flying Falcons. Not a very pretty match, some serious errors on both sides, but for Province Jantjies and Bekker looked really dangerous.

- On Friday night, the Bulls accounted for the Bolanders. Didn`t get to see the game, so can`t really comment on it. But well done to the Bulls, now moving up to a very strong 3rd place on the log, just behind the Cheetahs and the Sharks.

Jantjies is looking awesome so far, that run from inside the 22 was brilliant.

It's too bad about what happened to Bekker though.

I was still swearing at Province though, they royally cocked things up during that match, especially with the defence. I mean I'm as glad as the next Province die hard that we finally won a game again, but good gosh, I'm actually dreading the prospect of Griquas at home.

That Sharks vs. Cheetahs game was something though.

Latest posts