• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Griquas - Natal Sharks @ GWK Park, Kimberley (05-08-2011, 18:10 GMT)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

GWK Park, Kimberley (05-08-2011, 18:10 GMT)
GWK%20Griquas.png
Versus%20Super.png
Natal%20Sharks.png

Last year The Sharks came up short in Kimberley in their opening Absa Currie Cup fixture, but this time around they have built up momentum thanks to three good victories thus far.

GWK Griquas have also not enjoyed the best start to the season, winning their first game last weekend in Nelspruit against the Ford Pumas after a draw at DHL Newlands and a big defeat at Coca-Cola Park.

"We're very happy with the result in Nelspruit, but obviously we wouldn't have minded a better second half performance. Having said that, the victory gave us huge confidence," said GWK Griquas coach Abré Minnie.

griquas-sharks-currie-cup20.jpg

"But The Sharks will also come to Kimberley very confident – they've won three games and John Plumtree has opted to put his returning Boks on the bench. I think that's a good move, as they have momentum and would like to keep it. The Sharks are definitely riding the crest of the wave at the moment."

After GWK Park's lights were fixed up for the FIFA World Cup last year, this will be the first Friday night Absa Currie Cup match in Kimberley in a few years.

"We're certainly looking forward to it. Last Friday we saw a higher intensity in the Pumas game, almost as if the players had more energy. Hopefully we'll play with the same vigour this week," said Minnie.

GWK Griquas vs The Sharks
Date: Friday, 5 August
Kick-off: 19:10
Venue: GWK Park, Kimberley
Referee: Pro Legoete
Last year in Absa Currie Cup:
10 July: GWK Griquas won 40-34 in Kimberley
27 August: The Sharks won 48-30 in Durban

Teams:

Griquas: 15. Rudi Vogt, 14. Riaan Viljoen, 13. Jean Stemmet, 12. Barry Geel, 11. Dusty Noble, 10. Earl Rose, 9. Marnus Hugo, 8. Burger Schoeman, 7. Davon Raubenheimer, 6. Jonathan Mokuena (Capt), 5. Martin Muller, 4. Hendrik Roodt, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Ryno Barnes, 1. Jean Botha.

Reserves: 16. Matthew Dobson, 17. Ivann Espag, 18. Frikkie Spies, 19. Marnus Schoeman, 20. Matthew Rosslee, 21. Monty Dumond, 22. Wilmaure Louw.

Sharks: 15. Louis Ludik , 14. Mark Richards , 13. Stefan Terblanche , 12. Meyer Bosman , 11. Sibusiso Sithole , 10. Frederic Michalak , 9. Ross Cronje , 8. Keegan Daniel (Captain) , 7. Marcell Coetzee , 6. Jacques Botes , 5. Jan Andre Marais , 4. Anton Bresler , 3. Wiehahn Herbst , 2. Craig Burden , 1. Dale Chadwick

Reserves: 16. Kyle Cooper , 17. Eugene van Staden , 18. Peet Marais , 19. Ryan Kankowski , 20. Charl McLeod , 21. Patrick Lambie , 22. Marius Joubert

*Vbookie odds supplied by BWIN*

Not a bad Sharks side.
Glad to see that they have only put a few of the returning Bok players on the bench.

In a way I wish Viljoen was starting at fullback to see Ludik v Viljoen, but I am kind of glad he isn't!

Also, I've heard rumours of Stemmet joining the Dragons. I have no clue how accurate they are, anyone have some information in SA?

What I like, is the fact that a number of former Sharks-players are with Griquas now with Noble, Dumond, Stemmet, Downey and Viljoen (who is returning to the Sharks at the end of the season).

I am curious to see what will happen. Raubenheimer and Geel are moving to the Cheetahs, Viljoen to the Sharks, Pretorius to Waratahs, Naas Olivier is already in Italy, playing for Aironi...

Griquas changed massively in the last 2 years personnel wise.

Also, I've heard rumours of Stemmet joining the Dragons. I have no clue how accurate they are, anyone have some information in SA?

Can't say 100% if he is leaving or not, because he is not a 'high profile' player, but i haven't heard of anything about him leaving.

Mon the Sharks, you can do eeetttttttt!!!

Delighted with the team, hopefully we can see Peet Marais come on for Bresler, and have the family thing going in the locks and pros at some stage.

How awesome would it be if we had

Both du Plessis'
Both Marais'
Both Cronjes
And we brought in Akona Ndungane?

The team chemistry would be off the charts!

No matter how great the chemistry is, the Ndungane's will never be good enough ;)

Why stop with siblings? How about we sign Andries Bekker and Flip van der Merwe and get their old men out of retirement?

Them Sharks needs some centres...SERIAAAASLY...no creativity. Will be ok for Currie Cup maybe, but will be useless for S15.

Don't you think a Lambie/Joubert combination is good enough for Super RUgby?

Don't you think a Lambie/Joubert combination is good enough for Super RUgby?

Yes I do...BUT...Lambie is currently being selected as flyhalf/fullback. ;)

Joubert is 32 already...he's probably got maybe one season of S15 left in him, IMO he is not a long term solution. Hopefully they will give Lindeque 20min here or there later in the CC, to give him the necesary experience, coz if Joubert where to get injured early in S15 season the Sharks will probably fall back on Terblanche. (I don't rate him at 13 at all)

Back to Lambie, I would love to see more of him in the no12 jersey. Think he will be brilliant in that position. :)

So you're also sure is going to play at 12 next year with Michalak there and the horde of cover at 15? I'm sure he'll be great but I'm kinda miffed taht the Sharks are plugging gaps with talented SA backs again; the Boks need him to get time at 10. Why don't the Sharks have any faith in Adi Jacobs? He isn't a great centre or anything but put a solid bloke on his inside and I'm sure he'll shine (on attack at least).

WP and Sharks should talk and do a straight swap; JdV or JdJ (pity Sadie already signed with the Bulls) for Viljoen or Ludik. We need a good fullback as much as you need a centre pairing.

A trade Ludik/de Jongh would be a massive win for both sides. The Sharks can do with a talented youngster for the no. 13 jersey while the Capies are in desperate need of a decent player at full-back. Never thought of that, but it would be great for both.

You guys can keep Ludik... ;)

Maybe Lionel Cronje can get a run at fullback when he's recovered from injury.

But yeah...fullback is something of a problem in SA rugby at the moment, decent youngsters coming through, but it will take time for them to make their mark. Is Craig Barry still injured? (WP u20 fullback) I liked the look of him...he was in the SA u20 squad before his injury.

So we can have Juan de Jongh for free? We might be able to give you guys a backrow-player. You guys can have Alberts or Botes if we get Juan de Jongh

On the subject of talented full-backs: Gouws Prinsloo, Jurgen Visser, Jaco Taute and Johan Goosen are the talents we should focus on for the no. 15 jersey.

So we can have Juan de Jongh for free? We might be able to give you guys a backrow-player. You guys can have Alberts or Botes if we get Juan de Jongh

Uhm...no, he ain't for sale! Well, for atleast another 2 years... :p

Goosen fullback? Ain't he a flyhalf? or would you maybe just like to see him at fullback?

I like the way Taute plays at fullback, but John Mitchell doesn't...for some reason.

Taute is welcome in Durban if he wants ;)

Johan Goosen played both fly-half and full-back but with his massive boot and running skills, I think he is better suited at full-back. Maybe a Cheetahs fan can give us more inside information. The only things I know of Goosen are from the Junior Springboks. I don't have access to Vodacom Cup matches

Goosen looked so good at 10 for Grey College, the College gameplan pretty much revolved around him, that he stood out for a school that has produced so many Boks in the last two decades is incredible, this guy was being talked about by the Cheetahs managment as a future option 3 years ago! Lol, I don't even know if he was old enough to play in the senior school teams then.

As for the centre/ swap debate, we'll have great talent for next year (where is JJR for that matter?), think I'll post my doodlings for next year.

Paul Jordaan, by any chance?
Heard he is pretty good, did well for the SA U20's this year.

Latest posts