• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Pumas - Natal Sharks @ Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit(23-07-2011, 18:00 GMT)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
cctrfbig.png

Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit (23-07-2011, 18:00 GMT)
pumas.png
Versus%20XIII.png
Sharks.png

Natal is preparing for round 2, having beaten the Bulls to a pulp, winning 35-16, scoring 4 tries in the proces. Big man was Ross Cronje, who played his first match for the Sharks in over 2 years. The call-up of Charl McLeod to the Springboks, the injury of Conrad Hoffmann and Michalak moving to fly-half in the absence of Lambie (Another Springbok call-up) made way for the scrum-half, who's twin brother Guy, is used to playing fly-half.

SharksvBullsACC2011_11.jpg

His rush in the first half from a scrum, opened up the Bulls defence and gave Botes, Daniel and Coetzee the opportunity to outnumber the backline and go over for a 5-pointer. Keegan Daniel, who has been appointed to lead the Natal province this Currie Cup (he takes over the captaincy from Stefan Terblanche) was amazing as well together with Frédéric Michalak. In the win over the Noord-Transvaal provincial side, the French Barbarian (he scored a try against England for the Baa-Baas earlier this year) took things into his own hands in leading the way, scoring 20 points in total. His first points were from a try, after good offloading in the corner.

SharksvBullsACC2011_12.jpg

Another player who stood out, was Craig Burden. He didn't get a lot of chances in the Super 15, with John Smit and Bismarck du Plessis, both being favoured over him. He took the chance he got and despite the game being tight (Burden plays best in open play, with his agility, pace and technique) he played as good as he did last year at home against the Blue Bulls. The 25 year-old Durban-native was dominant in the scrums, almost taking apart the much experienced Gary Botha, who gave him some compliments in the post-game interviews.

SharksvBullsACC2011_7.jpg

With a bonus-point win, the Sharks are looking to stay on a high. They are travelling to Nelspruit, to take on the Pumas. The Mpumalanga side almost caused an upset in the first match of the season. Facing the Lions at Ellis Park, things didn't look to bright, but Ashwin Scott gave them the early lead with a magnificent rush down the touchline.

ashwinscott.png

Ricardo Croy, the Pumas' fly-half, was the man of the match, having some wonderful offloads and long range passes. Converting all 3 tries, he was very decent with the boot, only missing 1 penalty. He added 6 points with a penalty and drop-goal. The Pumas, who are part of the Lions Super Rugby franchise, have some decent players who would do fine in the Lions franchise.

Marius Coetzer, the big lock, was strong in the line-outs and might make the day of Skeate and Bresler very difficult.

mariuscoetzer.png

One thing I thought was very odd, was the fact that the Pumas played in red in the first half, and switched to black in the second half. Against the Sharks, that little trick won't be possible.

Recent results:

2010 Pumas 14-30 Sharks
2006 Pumas 14-82 Sharks
2004 Pumas 30-13 Sharks
2003 Pumas 35-27 Sharks

According to the commetators they changed strip cause they think it's lucky. Apparently it worked for them last year.

Same team as last week V Blue Bulls:
I missed the match last week, how was Joubert?

15. Stefan Terblanche14. Mark Richards
13. Marius Joubert
12. Meyer Bosman
11. Louis Ludik
10. Frederic Michalak
9. Ross Cronje
8. Keegan Daniel (Captain)
7. Marcell Coetzee
6. Jacques Botes
5. Ross Skeate
4. Anton Bresler
3. Wiehahn Herbst
2. Craig Burden
1. Dale Chadwick
Replacements
16. Kyle Cooper
17. Eugene van Staden
18. Jan Andre Marais
19. Francois Kleinhans
20. Jacobus Reinach
21. Jacques-Louis Potgieter

22. Sibusiso Sithole

Download it dude!!! It's worth it! Ross Cronje was phenomenal!

Download it dude!!! It's worth it! Ross Cronje was phenomenal!

Good to hear, any idea how long Hoffman will be out for?
I'd like to see the pair of them fighting it out for the 9 shirt ahead of next years S15 and hopefully chosen ahead of McLeod.
How he has been picked for the Boks ahead of Sarel I'll never know.

Sarel decided to move overseas. Only exceptional players playing overseas will be called up.

I hope Guy Cronje gets a chance too. The twin-combo is a nice thing to have... Makes it special. Hoffmann will be out for several weeks still. We had one of the most difficult matches as a starter, Bulls at home. We thrashed them and only allowed a try scored by a forward. Their backline was impotent

True, but I'd rather have Sarel coming on in the first minute as a sub than Charl, if needed.
Hopefully we can get a few players back after the away leg of the Tri Nations; Deysel and Mvovo would be nice.

No man... I love to see the young guns like Richards, Coetzee, Groenewald, Marais, Cronje, Herbst, Cooper and Chadwick prove they are worth the gametime. If we have the same squad as the Super15, younger players never get a chance. I call all Sharks up for the Springboks if it means the breakthrough of a new scrumhalf or center that gives us a Cup winning try

Fair point. I am just a big Deysel fanboy, so ignore me. ;)
Excuse my ignorance again, but what was Mark Richards like? I had never heard of him until this match. He is listed as wing/fullback; it would certainly be great to have another fullback once Stef retires (...)

Richards was good, not amazing. That says it all. He is still young and needs some better offloading by the centers. Ludik on the wing was a good enough option with JPP and Mvovo on Bok duty.

Pumas: 15: MJ Mentz, 14 Deon Scholtz, 13 JW Jonker, 12 Pieter Engelbrecht, 11 Ashwin Scott, 10 Tiaan Marx, 9 Shaun Venter, 8 Christo le Roux, 7 Jaco Bouwer, 6 Corne Steenkamp (captain), 5 Marius Coetzer, 4 Willem Serfontein, 3 Ashley Buys, 2 Marthinus van der Westhuizen, 1 De-Jay Terblanche.
Replacements: 16 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 17 Brett Nel, 18 Eduan van der Walt, 19 RW Kember, 20 Tian Meyer, 21 Coenie van Wyk, 22 Carl Bezuidenhout.

Sharks: 15. Stefan Terblanche, 14. Mark Richards, 13. Marius Joubert, 12. Meyer Bosman, 11. Louis Ludik, 10. Frederic Michalak, 9. Ross Cronje, 8. Keegan Daniel (Captain), 7. Marcell Coetzee, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Ross Skeate, 4. Anton Bresler, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Craig Burden, 1. Dale Chadwick
Replacements: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Eugene van Staden, 18. Jandre Marais, 19. Frana Kleinhans, 20. Cobus Reinach, 21. Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 22. Sibusiso Sithole

Just penalties so far, 9 all and 25 minutes have passed

This is pathetic, Mark Lawrence is hell bent on penalizing the Sharks on every semi and even non available oppurtunity

Last edited:
A perfect match they picked not to broadcast... Sharks claiming a win at the death... 9 points after 2 matches... Let's forget about this and work towards the Cheetahs match

They did stream it live onvthe interweb though

The Sharks played like absolute ***s for the last 2-3 minutes, special mentions go to Stefan Terblanche

Shocked that we actually won that game

I know, but I cannot figure out how and where to watch it. Can you help me with that?

And why do they only show it online if there are camera's present? Why not show it on tv???

You've gotta have a DSTV subscription, and be in Africa...

The quality isn't that great, so its not like your standard T.V. broadcast.

I read something earlier the day that said Supersport is contractually obliged to broadcast at least 3 games every weekend of the CC, and when cameras are available they will broadcast the fourth. However with the preseason soccer tourney involving Tottenham/ Pirates drawing a lot of cameras, and the PSL season to start soon, it looks like the fourth game will only be captured in low quality feed, and I don't think they will broadcast this on T.V. because, you know, they've got a reputation to uphold, and only the people who won't complain about picture quality will go through the effort of using the internet

I'm struggling to find a highlight video of this game. How was Michalak ?

He was instrumental to the win, did his jobs really well, scored a try and kicked 13 points.

Wouldn't have deserved to be on the losing side

Michalak has been impressive in the Super15 match at Loftus as well. I think he is suited for the Sharks' type of rugby.

Latest posts