• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Western Province - Bulls @ Newlands, Cape Town (30-07-2011, 16:05 GMT)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
cctrfbig.png

Newlands, Cape Town (30-07-2011, 16:05 GMT)
50882249.png
Versus%20Super.png
bluebulls.png

It’s the traditional North/South-derby in Cape Town on Saturday, with both DHL Western Province and the Vodacom Blue Bulls coming off good victories into this highly anticipated clash.

These sides are the two most successful in the history of Absa Currie Cup, with 54 outright or shared ***les between them out of the 70 times the Cup has been contested since 1892 (WP won the Board Trophy in 1889). Last year each won their respective home game, which will give DHL WP a little bit more to play for on Saturday.

Both sides have been hit with Springbok call-ups to an extent that most of their experienced players are not available, but that, says Vodacom Blue Bulls coach Pine Pienaar, is not an issue.

“The players that are there are still quality players and have done well in the past. WP had a tough game in Potchefstroom and they did well. Against Griquas they came back after a bad start. They are a quality side with a good mix of experience and some youngsters. So its going to be a tough one,†said Pienaar.

“They showed against the Leopards they want a high paced game. But they can play a territorial game as well and have some good defences. So its up to us handle whatever they give and to apply our own pressure this week.â€

Pienaar was also happy with his side’s fightback against the Toyota FS Cheetahs last weekend: “We wanted to get a good start at home, and the guys showed a lot of character coming back from 17-3 down. But as I said to the team on Monday â€" the win over the Cheetahs is in the past. Our focus is now on Province and it will be a tough game.â€

DHL Western Province vs Vodacom Blue Bulls
Date: Saturday, 30 July
Kick-off: 17:05
Venue: DHL Newlands, Cape Town
Referee: Craig Joubert
Last year in Absa Currie Cup:
14 August â€" DHL WP won 15-12 in Cape Town
2 October â€" Vodacom Blue Bulls won 36-32 in Pretoria

Western Province: 15. Conrad Jantjes, 14. Danie Poolman, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Tim Whitehead, 11. JJ Engelbrecht, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Dewaldt Duvenage, 8. Nick Koster, 7. Siya Kolisi, 6. Rohan Kitshoff, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Hilton Lobberts, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Deon Fourie (Captain), 1. Wicus Blaauw
Replacements: 16. Tiaan Liebenberg, 17. Frans Malherbe, 18. Adriaan Fondse, 19. Nicholas Sean Fenton-Wells, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Isma-eel Dollie, 22. Marcel Brache

Blue Bulls: 15 Jurgen Visser, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Stephan Dippenaar, 12 Stefan Watermeyer, 11 Gerhard van den Heever, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Dustin Jinka, 8 Gerrit-Jan van Velze, 7 Dewald Potgieter, 6 Derick Kuün, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Fudge Mabeta, 3 Rossouw de Klerk, 2 Gary Botha (captain), 1 Corné Fourie.
Replacements: 16 Willie Wepener, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Warwick Tecklenburg, 19 CJ Stander, 20 Lohan Jacobs, 21 Marnitz Boshoff, 22 Francois Venter.

Argh, the annual dilemma for Sharks supporters!!!

We want the Bulls to lose, but we want WP as far as possible from the top spot!

Who to win?!?

Maybe a draw would be best, but if I were a betting man, and were forced to bet, I'd go with the Bulls
Just a lot more experience there, backs not as good, but I reckon the Bulls will be on a slight high from the Cheetahs win

I doubt the Bulls will win, that's a decent WP team.

Engelbrecht,Sadie,Poolman and Whitehead are going to rip the Bulls' backline to shreds.

There is dominate, control, destroy , annihiliate and rape, but now I have run out of words to describe what WP are doing to the Bulls

Will be watching this tomorrow. Downloading it later tonight. Have to get something to eat now and watch the Dutch Super Cup (football) at 8 ;)

Latest posts