• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

D-Pad or analogue!??

L

Los Lover

First post - tho have been reading relentlessly for weeks now!!

You all speak so accurately about most aspects and, as such, I have not needed to (post)....

HOWEVER...My fav current game (when I can tolerate the graphics) is JLR, Madden 2005 , ProEv4 etc....and I NEVER use analogue...NEVER!!
I find it unnatural and have a thumb injury it aggravates. I assume I can control my team with the d-pad.

Can anyone help me here...Locksley, Umosay..anyone?

Not allowing the choice is...well....handist!

Nah but seriously...it would ruin it for me and many other gamers I know and play with...

What's the run-down on button configuration and any options to change them....

I don't believe this has been covered..

It's looking unlikely about using the d-pad for running, because the d-pad will be used for set-plays you can use in-game.

Can I (and if not - WTF!!!!!) just simply switch them

I.E. I have tactics on the analogue and movement on the d-pad.

Analogue is crap and lacks control...

This option better be included.

Analogue gives way more control then the restricted movements of the D-pad.......

Once you change you'll never look back - go grab another game and start practising NOW!!...........

Well....I have....and i disagree. I mean I totally understand why you may find it better. But I thrash everyone I play who uses analogue and I just prefer d-pad.

As I said before - it's not exactly fair to favour one style over the other - let people choose.....Surely?

I tried analogue...I DID look back.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 16 2005, 02:28 PM

Nope! Sorry! No option at all to change controls!

For some games, yes, I'll agree! I too use the D-pad for Pro Evo, but I used the analog (not many knew you can) for Lomu. However, the analog control is so responsive and silky smooth in Rugby 2005 that I'm sure you'll be able to cope!

As I said before, it's not! So EA, watch your backs cos someones out to get ya!
<

I used to play PES2 on D-pad, but after teaching myself to change to analogue for PES3 I realised what player control I was really missing.......

Ha!

Nah they're safe... and yes once I'd mastered JLR, I did funnily enough play with analogue on it (because I can;t use them and it made it harder!!!)..

Interesting comment from NZL fan - I am, if not convinced,.....intrigued nonetheless.

Still think it's a tragedy. It seems like bigotry towards d-pad lovers from EA...perhaps a letter to the human rights commission or something!!!

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 16 2005, 03:00 PM
Ha!

Nah they're safe... and yes once I'd mastered JLR, I did funnily enough play with analogue on it (because I can;t use them and it made it harder!!!)..

Interesting comment from NZL fan - I am, if not convinced,.....intrigued nonetheless.

Still think it's a tragedy. It seems like bigotry towards d-pad lovers from EA...perhaps a letter to the human rights commission or something!!!
i agree and disagree

anyone that uses the d-pad in driving sims, should be shot
other games, one is better than the other...madden sux on analogue but PES series rules on analogue

but u cannot change any controls whatsoever in rugby 2005

I suppose in a ****-dressed-up-as-a-chocolate-milkshake kind of way (!!) it will make the game extrememly challenging for me...?

But I can just see me bombing that first awesome, match-winning, 100-metre try b/c i F$%#ed the motherf%$#er up because of some thumb slip or inability to quickly switch angles etc like on the d-pad.

F*&%ing analogue.....

Re: racing games etc...

I basically only play sports...and I only use d-pad.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 16 2005, 03:21 PM
I suppose in a ****-dressed-up-as-a-chocolate-milkshake kind of way . . .
<
<

Sweet Midget (!), what a fantastic expression!

Los Lover, where'd you learn to speak? That's brilliant!

I agree with NZL fan. Luckily, after my PS1 days of just using the Dpad I had an Xbox which taught me the fantastic and precise control of the Analog. I love making Tommy Vercetti walk in super slow mo everywhere.
So when I got my PS2 well.... Just try and get used to it. Don't say you've tried because you probably tried for 5 minutes before giving up. Like all things it takes practice and once you get good at it there is no turning back.
Great expression BTW.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Feb 16 2005, 04:54 PM
I agree with NZL fan. Luckily, after my PS1 days of just using the Dpad I had an Xbox which taught me the fantastic and precise control of the Analog. I love making Tommy Vercetti walk in super slow mo everywhere.
So when I got my PS2 well.... Just try and get used to it. Don't say you've tried because you probably tried for 5 minutes before giving up. Like all things it takes practice and once you get good at it there is no turning back.
Great expression BTW.
Yup.

GTA San Andreas did it for me too. That slow-mo walk, creeping.

Then I started playing College Football with it and I was sold! Analogue is the best.

analouge rules i use it everywhere!......except rugby league cos i for the second controller on my ps2 it was a ps1 analouge controller and in rugby league for sum reason wudnt respond to the old ps1 controller so instead i used the D-pad and kicked everyones ass on it!

Hey boys what if you have a controller with no analogue? Surely you must be able to play somehow without analogue.

Originally posted by NZL fan@Feb 16 2005, 02:40 AM
Analogue gives way more control then the restricted movements of the D-pad.......

Once you change you'll never look back - go grab another game and start practising NOW!!...........
Im with Los Lover on this one - I hate the Analog - less precision and it ain't good for my thumb (ruptred ulnar-collateral ligament 2 years ago). Might have to get used to it though.

Why would anyone choose not to use analogue if they have it? In rugby games particularly I find it enables far more varied lines of running than you can achieve with a d-pad, and can be much easier to break through tough defenses.

See this is what ****** me off......

Stop living in la-la land...

It doesn't offer more movement - it moves 360 degress, EXACTLY like the friggin' d-pad...Jesus!!

It has pressure sensitivity on GTA etc for slow and fast - but direction is the same.

Man! On a d-pad the electronic responses to your movements are happening millimetres away from their initiation....BUT when you use analogue..it's like shifting gears in an old car where the head of the stick is too far removed from the base...IT LACKS CONTROL and synergy...

Easier version = analogue SUX

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 16 2005, 02:11 PM
See this is what ****** me off......

Stop living in la-la land...

It doesn't offer more movement - it moves 360 degress, EXACTLY like the friggin' d-pad...Jesus!!

It has pressure sensitivity on GTA etc for slow and fast - but direction is the same.

Man! On a d-pad the electronic responses to your movements are happening millimetres away from their initiation....BUT when you use analogue..it's like shifting gears in an old car where the head of the stick is too far removed from the base...IT LACKS CONTROL and synergy...

Easier version = analogue SUX
You're wrong, but I can't be bothered to argue. If you prefer the d-pad then fair enough.

Latest posts