• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

De Villiers set to leave Munster

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2010/0215/mu...devilliers.html

Munster have confirmed that Jean de Villiers will return to South Africa at the end of the current season with the player keen to force his way into the South African 2011 World Cup squad.

De Villiers, who is currently with the Munster squad on a warm-weather camp said: 'My decision to return to South Africa is solely determined by a desire to put myself in contention for the Sprinboks Rugby World Cup (RWC) 2011 squad.

'I feel this is perhaps my last opportunity to represents my country at the Rugby World Cup and after consultation with SARU it has become clear that to qualify for selection players must be playing their rugby in South Africa in the season leading up to the competition.

'I'm thoroughly enjoying my time here in Munster and I think it would be fair to say that had the RWC not been a factor, then I would be remaining for at least the next 2 seasons.

'I would not rule out returning here after RWC 2011 either, if the opportunity arose.'

De Villiers is now turning his attention to winning more trophies with Tony McGahan's side before leaving the club.

'For now though, my entire focus is on the Magners League and Heineken Cup campaigns.

'There's a lot of rugby to be played yet in the red shirt and I'm looking forward immensely to continuing my involvment with a great squad.'[/b]

Will be super having him back in SA and playing for WP and the Stormers alongside Fourie and Habana ^_^

Will Munster look to sign anyone or will they replenish from within their ranks? I assume there was a lot of truth to Munster courting James Downey when they learned De Villiers was on his way home.

Mafi and Earls seem to be the first choice centre partnership next season at this point in time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Feb 15 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Will be super having him back in SA and playing for WP and the Stormers alongside Fourie and Habana ^_^[/b]

sure he's going back to the stormers?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 15 2010, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Feb 15 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will be super having him back in SA and playing for WP and the Stormers alongside Fourie and Habana ^_^[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well I can't really see him signing for another club in SA...

*Bulls->Already have a star no.12 in Wynand Olivier
*Lions->Would like to have him but they already spent enough on getting Spencer and la Grange isn't that bad...
*Sharks->Would probably like to see him play alongside Jacobs so maybe...
*Cheetahs->Highly unlikely!
*Stormers->He began his career with them, captained the side, gets to play with class players such as Burger, Habana and Fourie.

So at most the Sharks might throw him a deal, but I'm 99,99999999999999999% sure that when he returns to SA he will go straight back to the Cape ;)

JDV has left massive hint though he will return to Munster at some point. :rolleyes:

Still I'm sure he will give us a massive effort for next few months and glad he came to play for us!

JDV :bravo:

To me it sounds like any franchise getting him is a bit of a waste. He's essentially said, I want to play for the world cup, but then I'll **** off again. At least NZ is making Carl Hayman make a commitment to NZ rugby, before he rejoins.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Feb 15 2010, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 15 2010, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Feb 15 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Well I can't really see him signing for another club in SA...

*Bulls->Already have a star no.12 in Wynand Olivier
*Lions->Would like to have him but they already spent enough on getting Spencer and la Grange isn't that bad...
*Sharks->Would probably like to see him play alongside Jacobs so maybe...
*Cheetahs->Highly unlikely!
*Stormers->He began his career with them, captained the side, gets to play with class players such as Burger, Habana and Fourie.

So at most the Sharks might throw him a deal, but I'm 99,99999999999999999% sure that when he returns to SA he will go straight back to the Cape ;)
[/b][/quote]

Not sure WP fork out to have him with Fourie, de Jongh, Des Fountain, Grant & Newman all quality centers; the first 2 better than JdV IMO. Sharks might want him but they've lost 2 class 12's allready in Frans Steyn and Barritt to Europe; not sure if that means anything, maybe one of them or both might return to the Sharks, especially Steyn if he wants a spot in the Bok squad for 2011. Where he should go is the Cheetahs; he will be invaluable there; imagine JdV at 12 with a fit-again Ebersohn or Mapoe at 13; centers and halfbacks have always been the downfall of the Freestate and with the former two, plus Olivier and Pretorius from the Griquas playing for the Cheetahs, they would finally have a squad without glaring weaknesses midfield. Especially if the Cheetahs can get some results this year after managing to keep some players during the off season for a change. Also, the experience he can bring to the Cheetahs midfield.. he is not really needed at the Lions who have good options for midfield if not game-breaking.

Question is, can the Cheetahs afford him and would he fancy a move to Bloemfontein?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Feb 16 2010, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To me it sounds like any franchise getting him is a bit of a waste. He's essentially said, I want to play for the world cup, but then I'll **** off again. At least NZ is making Carl Hayman make a commitment to NZ rugby, before he rejoins.[/b]

Not sure he would be wanted/needed for 2012 onwards. Hasn't yet returned to the form he showed in 2008 and he's no spring-chicken at 30/31 (post world cup).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 16 2010, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hardy a surprise 12 months before the World Cup.[/b]

I would rather have heard that Frans Steyn is leaving Racing. Having both van Heerden and Botha back from Europe is already good news for SA although they might struggle to make the team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 15 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Will Munster look to sign anyone or will they replenish from within their ranks? I assume there was a lot of truth to Munster courting James Downey when they learned De Villiers was on his way home.

Mafi and Earls seem to be the first choice centre partnership next season at this point in time.[/b]

Word is Munster have Riki Flutey on their radar - http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5961924,00.html

I think that Mafi and Earls is the way forward too even with De Villiers in the fold at the minute. I was at the Ulster V Munster game at Ravenhill a while back which Ulster won. Mafi and De Villiers were in the centre together and didn't like the look of them to be honest. I do still think Munster have two top class natural 12's there and if I was McGahan I would bite the bullet and pick one to partner Earls who is more suited to playing 13, and in my opinion Mafi would be the ideal choice. Also if Munster were to sign Flutey next year this would also create a similar dilemma to the one now so I do think he would be a bad signing. In my eyes I would also see Earls as a candidate to replace O'Driscoll at 13 in the future so playing him there would certainly have benefits for the national team. With Doug Howlett on the go next season too signing a top class winger should be at the top of Munster's to do list!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mulldog @ Feb 23 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 15 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mafi and Earls seem to be the first choice centre partnership next season at this point in time.[/b]

Word is Munster have Riki Flutey on their radar - http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5961924,00.html

I think that Mafi and Earls is the way forward too even with De Villiers in the fold at the minute. I was at the Ulster V Munster game at Ravenhill a while back which Ulster won. Mafi and De Villiers were in the centre together and didn't like the look of them to be honest. I do still think Munster have two top class natural 12's there and if I was McGahan I would bite the bullet and pick one to partner Earls who is more suited to playing 13, and in my opinion Mafi would be the ideal choice. Also if Munster were to sign Flutey next year this would also create a similar dilemma to the one now so I do think he would be a bad signing. In my eyes I would also see Earls as a candidate to replace O'Driscoll at 13 in the future so playing him there would certainly have benefits for the national team. With Doug Howlett on the go next season too signing a top class winger should be at the top of Munster's to do list!
[/b][/quote]
Mulldog Earls has been 13 for last 4 games in H'Cup,
We signed class winger in Johne Murphy,
Howlett will be giving us 1 more year too :p

Latest posts