• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dean Ryan at Worcester

psychic duck

International
Not finding it so easy away from the Sky Sports studio. Worcester really struggling in the Premiership right now, odds on to go down, Ryan needs his Argentine insurgence to boost them significantly. Newcastle and London Irish already have a 2 win cushion. What's going wrong there for him? Richard Hill must be feeling smug right now after his surprise sacking.

I think that Ryan is one of the best readers and analysts in the game but is he really a man manager and coach?......His track record is not that impressive and I was, to be honest, a little surprised he went back into that side of things and leave a very well paid job in broadcasting but he was always a competitor I suppose!

It would be really sad if Worcester were to take the drop as Cecil Duckworth has been an immense and long time backer of the club and hos provided them with some super facilities but nothing is fair in life..............

However, I am a strong supporter of Dean Richards, who I believe was hung out to dry and suffered an extreme punishment while some others escaped, so hope Newcastle suvive!

Dean Ryan had a good record when he was head coach of us. We played some good stuff and the season before he left we made the Premiership Final and led the league in bonus points won.

I think they were wrong to replace Hill.
He was, slowly, building Warriors up. They were realtively secure last season - near the bottom but never really looked like getting relegated, and had a few incredibly dodgy reffing decisions rob them of a couple of wins.
Replacing him when they did has just set Warriors back again, at a time they really need stability to get a foothold in the premiership. If they got relegated last season I could understand replacing Hill and building again.
Hill wasn't going to take them to the Top 4, but I could see him turning them into a mid-to-lower-mid table side, which is then when they should have looked at a change to get them to push on to higher honours.

I expect them to get relegated this season, and while I wouldn't lay the blame at Ryan's door at all, I'd look at the people who made the decision to change up the backroom staff again.

Last edited:
Rumours have been going round that relegation could well be part of this 5 year plan worcester have, if we go down it will hopefully get rid of some of the old sh*t players who are just playing for the wages and hopefully let us develop our young academy players (which Ryan is focusing a lot of the money on) and allow them to have game time in now a very strong championship league. Hopefully the players we develop will stay unlike the past (we can only hope...). Fundamentally the Worcester team now is not the same as it was with no Lutui, Kvesic, Gillies, Horstmann etc, and we really just need to start from scratch and stop wasting our money on has beens,we have to make a new generation for Worcester and i think thats what Ryan is doing, i honestly think he is the right man to take us forward in the future even if we do spend a year or 2 in the championship.

Rumours have been going round that relegation could well be part of this 5 year plan worcester have, if we go down it will hopefully get rid of some of the old sh*t players who are just playing for the wages and hopefully let us develop our young academy players (which Ryan is focusing a lot of the money on) and allow them to have game time in now a very strong championship league. Hopefully the players we develop will stay unlike the past (we can only hope...). Fundamentally the Worcester team now is not the same as it was with no Lutui, Kvesic, Gillies, Horstmann etc, and we really just need to start from scratch and stop wasting our money on has beens,we have to make a new generation for Worcester and i think thats what Ryan is doing, i honestly think he is the right man to take us forward in the future even if we do spend a year or 2 in the championship.

Northampton and Quins showed relegation isnt the worst in the long run. Even we've stabilised and rebuilt and are arguably more secure now then when we were in the Prem.

I know I bang on about it but that is what Biarritz should be doing too......................if true for Worcester, I wish you enormous good luck with it and, as I really like Ryan, I hope you are correct in everything you say there!

Anyone knows Worcester should be doing better than they are, they have the ground and a very loyal crowd they deserve to be more than they are currently. Dean Ryan can keep saying what he wants his job is to get a team winning and thats what he isnt doing.

What else can Dean Ryan do, Hill has left him with a load of players that are just at the club to earn a bit of dosh. The players we have don't look like they give a monkeys bananas about whether we win or not. For example last weekend against Sale, our players walked onto the pitch talking about their social lives and not motivated to play whatsoever, however Sale even though it was only a Amlin challenge cup game came charging onto the field ready to play. Hill should of done more to keep the players that actually came onto the pitch and want to play. I miss the days where you could watch the warriors run out to O fortuna with the crowd and atmosphere buzzing, if you go to sixways now, you wouldn't be able to say it was a fortress but more of a tent... I wouldn't like to be in Ryan's boots currently, hes got to find a solution to make the players he has become emotionally attached to the club.

Sounds harsh, but it's a good question.
Their "best bets" would be Wasps at home (though I think Wasps will win that relatively comfortably), Newcastle away (will be close but a Newcastle win) and hoping that Gloucester just don't give a sh*t when they visit in the last game of the season (though they'll probably rinse them).

So are Worcester even going to win a single game this season?

Thye have Newcastle down the line, only one I can really see them with a decent chance of winning, maybe they could catch someone else sleeping in a late round game that dosen't really matter to the other team. They can't score and have almost no attacking threats aside from Pennell. I wasn't expecting much from them but they are utterly dreadful and with Irish looking to improve the Falcons are the only team they even have a remote chance of catching in the table.

Betting on a win against Leicester. Pretty sure I'd get about 100:1 odds

I just hope falcons dont go on a worse losing spree! Hating the championship it's such a hard place to contend!

Agree with all that.
Hill wasn't going to get them winning the Premiership but he was turning them into a side that would consistently be in the Premiership.
Ryan has lost them every single game, bar one in the LV=.

How depressing is that though, Hill was making a side that would simply exist.
They were wallowing and Hill clearly wasn't good enough to do anything other than just that.

How happy would you be if Sale were just making up the numbers?

If we'd been yoyo-ing then I'd be happy to be safe in the Premiership before building for more, and that's what worcester were doing with hill, except they then stopped building foundations and went straight for more.

I saw absolutely no evidence that Hill was capable of turning them into a top 6 side.
I'm not saying Ryan can, but I definitely don't think Hill was going to do any more than he already had.

Latest posts