• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Defence and difficulty ***SPOILER

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 8 2005, 02:53 PM
True.

But what sucks is that now this is officially out before the majority of people even have the game.
well it is out ...

... but having played the game and made these diagonal runs (without knowing they were the "tactic"), I still enjoyed it... I didn't always do it, the angle I run at is not always the same so it never jumped out as a "tactic" (plus I've never put 70 up on the board in the demo... highest was 40+ and that was just the once... tho kicking to touch will do that to ya!
<
)

but thats just me, perhaps some guys out there will always want to spread the ball wide and run in the exact diagonal position... if you buy the game, you can do as you like (even if that includes spoiling it for yourself!)
<

this isnt really a tactic, its just running diagonally!! you should be able to do it without it ruining the game, I am so sick of us rugby gamers having to make up additional rules in order to prevent the game sucking due to bad ai. Heres some rules ive been playing by that even it out a little.

1.You have to clear from inside your own 22, no running it out unless it is stoppage time. This makes it more like real rugby and is still fun.

2. No sprinting up and hitting the opposition no 10 before hes had a chance to pass or kick(from rucks only) this sucks but it makes a difference.

3. when you are in the lead and recieve a penalty you can only kick at goal. If you are trailing you can go for a try. (you can still kick to touch when out of penalty range.)

4. no swerving around the fullback you must beat him with a pass or tacklebreak, and yes if you wait just a little before playing the ball he will get up and go back into position, this takes some dicipline though.

Those who have the full version may want to adjust the speed of the no 10 12 13
and 15 and just leave the wingers real fast as it is quick centres especially that make this problem a real problem, so maybe that would balane it a bit, let me know!!

Theres another "glitch"makes it real easy to score, I wont say it if no one wants to hear it, but I thought it was what locksley was talking about, but he was talking about the diagonal run, this is different!! any one else noticed?!!

so wut ur saying is just play it like how u wud in real life? kick for goal and stuff???

Yeah basically, its too hard to avoid running diagonally, I mean cmon tell a rugby back that he cant run an angle, so these rules allow you to still do this but minimise the effect and give opposition a chance, if you can sucessfully create this illusion you just might love this game! give it a try it does make it better, and on hard mode hopefully it will be just right.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Mar 8 2005, 04:20 PM
this isnt really a tactic, its just running diagonally!! you should be able to do it without it ruining the game, I am so sick of us rugby gamers having to make up additional rules in order to prevent the game sucking due to bad ai. Heres some rules ive been playing by that even it out a little.

1.You have to clear from inside your own 22, no running it out unless it is stoppage time. This makes it more like real rugby and is still fun.

2. No sprinting up and hitting the opposition no 10 before hes had a chance to pass or kick(from rucks only) this sucks but it makes a difference.

3. when you are in the lead and recieve a penalty you can only kick at goal. If you are trailing you can go for a try. (you can still kick to touch when out of penalty range.)

4. no swerving around the fullback you must beat him with a pass or tacklebreak, and yes if you wait just a little before playing the ball he will get up and go back into position, this takes some dicipline though.

Those who have the full version may want to adjust the speed of the no 10 12 13
and 15 and just leave the wingers real fast as it is quick centres especially that make this problem a real problem, so maybe that would balane it a bit, let me know!!

Theres another "glitch"makes it real easy to score, I wont say it if no one wants to hear it, but I thought it was what locksley was talking about, but he was talking about the diagonal run, this is different!! any one else noticed?!!
I'm hoping the answer to these porblems is to play the game on hard difficulty

is there a way to increase ur chance of winning the ball in rucks? Im playing world league so yeh i start off with crap players, but every time i make a break and get tackled by the fullback the CPU always turn the ball over and it ****** me off >.<

Originally posted by Padz@Mar 8 2005, 10:59 PM
is there a way to increase ur chance of winning the ball in rucks? Im playing world league so yeh i start off with crap players, but every time i make a break and get tackled by the fullback the CPU always turn the ball over and it ****** me off >.<
Dude can you play the game on hard and see how effective the running diaganol 'trick' is? Thnx
<

Can Admin please post this as a spoiler thread I was not keen to find out what it was and I am sure others will not either sure we will find out after extended play but i would rather find out for myself.

the demo i have cannot be on medium,its just cannot be,its too easy i beat the aussies by 35 points in my first game.

What about multiplayer? does the tactic work so well on someone who knows about it?

to be honest i was doing this tactic and i didnt even know i was doing it.
to answer your question richees,i just played my m8 on multiplayer and it was very difficut and i found it hard to do. Playing a human is a different ball games,because they are not formulated in a robotic like line.

Locksley has said that the demo is medium difficlty and hes a reliable source, I know it sucks but there you have it. he also said that hard difficulty fixes this to an extent but it is still possible.
If anyones tried playing the demo with the rules i posted on the previous page heres another one that balances it out real well.

On defence you must accept the first player that L2 gives you and cannot change until the next ruck, you must rely on the AI just like the computer, making your defence as ineffective as theirs, and you really have to make your tackle count! and make sure your not offside!(harder than it sounds) This may sound stupid but it works, and is suprisingly fun!!

The other "glitch" or sweet spot I found(im going to say it coz theres a spoiler on this thread now)
is as follows:

Whenever you have a ruck close enough to the sideline that there is only the defending winger there use square or circle to run your no.9 blind side. As soon as you have pushed the button you must hold sprint and sideways(toward sideline) other wise the no.9 will just run sraight and get tackled. Once you are half way between the winger and the ruck cut back straight and youve got a free one on one with the fullback everytime, what you do from there is up to you, inside or outside ball depending on your support, grubber, whatever, you can score some awsome tries and if theres no full back at home you can go all the way! I scored a 60m try with George Greagen!! Cohen was hot on his heals but couldnt catch up!! The good thing about this is that once youve used it, it is easy to refrain from doing it again, I scored some cracking tries and got it out of my system and dont use it anymore.

Ive noticed also that in two player the diagonal runs dont work so well coz your mate is onto you every time.

Originally posted by locksley@Mar 8 2005, 02:09 PM
Oh, and by the way, the demo is on MEDIUM difficulty!
Eh?

Not being a dick, just curious as to how this has changed from when you initially played it.

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 8 2005, 11:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 8 2005, 11:03 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Padz
@Mar 8 2005, 10:59 PM
Dude can you play the game on hard and see how effective the running diaganol 'trick' is? Thnx
<
[/b]
it still works, especially if u have a fast flyhalf or inside centre (giteau), but the burn just gets turned over more

Originally posted by CeeJay@Mar 8 2005, 09:20 AM
I would like to know the answer to this as well, I have the demo and have not only noticed the gap in the middle, but that if you sprint any of your backs diagonaly at the defence, there is a sweet spot between any two players that will have them not tackle you at all, as long as you are sprinting between them diagonaly. Needless to say i am winng every game 70-0, and this is also due to the lack of attacking from the other team. When they decide to run, they actually put together some decent moves, but they just seem to kick, kick and then kick some more, giving me the ball straight back for another bulls**t try. Even inside my 22 they still just grubber and chip, and this was the english team, who recycle and crash it up relentlessly in real life. Dont get me wrong, It was intense fun while it lasted, and is way better than 2004 but these are potentially game killing flaws if the harder difficulty levels dont fix these problems, so could anyone who knows the answer please put me out of my misery.
Hey Ceeyay, what happens if you just run between them diagonally, and not sprint. Does the same problem occur?

Originally posted by captainamerica+Mar 8 2005, 11:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Mar 8 2005, 11:15 AM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 8 2005, 10:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Mar 8 2005, 10:12 AM
Because the demo is automatically on the easy difficulty.

thanks Shane, or are you Locksley?
Neither, swampcrotch.

But after hearing that the demo was on Easy mode -- I think we were told that back in 1978 -- I thought I'd save the hastle and assure you that yeah, the demo is on easy which would explain the high try count after prolonged play.

No, I'll continue.

Do you remember watching any of the demo vids Locks posted up (now we're getting into Jan/Feb 1979) where Locks was breaking the line all the time, on every phase of the ball, running past defenders at will only to to press the Garryowen button as he approached the try line?

I'm sure Locks would be more than happy to come on here and say, "Yeah, easy difficulty is very easy."

But why should he, he said it 16 years ago. That's all I'm saying, mate.

There is, however, a significant increase in the difficulty levels as you go up. You do have to work for tries . . . but how would I know, I'm just going on everything that's ever been posted in the Rugby 2005 section.

<

Apologies if this post has a ******** like tone, it was not intended. [/b]
Er...the demo is on medium, and the trick still work on hard diff, so what are you talking about...mate?

Originally posted by NZL fan@Mar 8 2005, 02:49 PM
It had to come out sometime I suppose..........

I've noticed this ability to go diagonally through the defense more on the side camera vids, rather then the end on cameras.....

Even PES4 has an "easy score" flaw (running past the keeper on an away angle, and then shooting back towards goal - the keeper would always leave a gap for an easy goal).

It's just a case of not exploiting the problem (I'm sure people should be able to restrain themselves). I personally can not see the fun of intentionally playing a certain way each time I have the ball in order to get soft tries. Even if you do go through the line using the diagonal running method surely you can refrain from deliberately running straight at the fullback??........or even if you do get tackled by the fullback ensuring that you do not then again use the diagonal running cheat until the fullback is back in position??
<
I find it hard to see how the problem cannot be exploited. I mean how are we expected never to run diagonally through a gap?? Looking at the videos it looks like you wouldn't get very far just running straight.

Originally posted by shaneward2005@Mar 8 2005, 02:56 PM
maybe a patch will be released!
Shane can you try the running diagonol trick on hard diff and see how effective it is? I know Locks has addressed this but wouldn't mind a second opinion

Cheers

I never bothered to play on EASY.

But on NORMAL, the diagonal run still works, although it's not a gimme.

On HARD, there's it doesn't work at all.

I had real problems scoring tries when I got to HARD last night.

Although, I had been drinking and it was 1AM.

Latest posts