• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Defence in RC2006

S

spearman

How does defence work in RC2006. Can you select a rush/drift defence or other style. (like EAs rugby05) or is it the same defence every time.

[I don't mind either way, just as long as in RC2006 your team don't constantly make stupid defensive errors, as in R2005]

Originally posted by spearman@Jan 5 2006, 12:32 AM
How does defence work in RC2006. Can you select a rush/drift defence or other style. (like EAs rugby05) or is it the same defence every time.

[I don't mind either way, just as long as in RC2006 your team don't constantly make stupid defensive errors, as in R2005]
All I know is the tackling is different - this time you cannot run into a player and tackle him. You have to press the tackle buton every time to perform a tackle. Locks says its much more difficult and a bit hit and miss.

Different to...WCR??
I don't have WCR so can you please explain that system to me.

Originally posted by spearman@Jan 5 2006, 12:41 AM
Different to...WCR??
I don't know I havn't played WCR - if you look at Locksley's short pre-view of rugby 2006 you'll see his concerns about the tackling. Basically you need to press a button everytime to perform a normal tackle, I suppose a bit like RL2. I havn't played the game so I don't know the system in detail. Perhaps ask Locksley for more help?

Originally posted by jimmy44+Jan 5 2006, 01:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Jan 5 2006, 01:33 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-spearman
@Jan 5 2006, 12:41 AM
Different to...WCR??
I don't know I havn't played WCR - if you look at Locksley's short pre-view of rugby 2006 you'll see his concerns about the tackling. Basically you need to press a button everytime to perform a normal tackle, I suppose a bit like RL2. I havn't played the game so I don't know the system in detail. Perhaps ask Locksley for more help? [/b]
Sorry just realised I'm going mad - I'm in the wrong forum. I was talking about EA's Rugby 2006. Sorry!
<

Originally posted by spearman@Jan 5 2006, 02:20 AM
Please could someone reply who has some idea about the RIGHT game.
<
<
As far as I am aware (although I haven't played it) you can't select any different tactics, but there are several types of tackle - there's the big hit, diving tackle and some sort of low tackle (still not quite sure what this involves exactly). These are all activated by different buttons, or you can run into the player and set up a maul. Again, I haven't played it but those who have seemed to think defending worked well and was almost as much fun as attacking.

Okay thanks. That's basically what rugby-challenge.com says. Shame about no choice of tactics though.

I know, EA were onto a good idea with selecting tactics on the d-pad at breakdowns... just a shame it was so poorly implemented in Rugby 2005. Would love to be able to call a rush every so often to try to force errors, or a drift to stop quick wide passing moves, but think we are a long way off ideas like that being successfully put into games

Sadly it would appear so. R2005 had some great ideas but, as you said, it was so poorly implemented you got lost in the bugs. (The centres always parting in defence, knock-ons not blown up for VERY annoying animated tackles, set-moves etc)
I have high hope for rugby challenge though - we'll see.
<

Tackles are made by pressing one of two buttons; one gives a diving, standard tackle for use when you're chasing someone or drifting across, the other for power tackles. It's not just the big shoulder charges like in WCR, but there are numerous dump/driving animations as well. The cool thing is, you could be running straight at someone, they start to dump tackle you (and, if it's a person, probably feeling a bit cocky) only for you to offload the ball to a supporting player who can happily skip away.

RC2006 doesn't have any set plays (neither attacking or defensive), but then, it's not a simulation. It's a pick up and play arcade game. When I went down to the Swordfish studios, the feeling seemed to be that a small company like Swordfish wouldn't be able to compete with EA if both were putting together ultra-realistic sims. Swordfish just doesn't have the resources. What they've done instead is go for a more entertaining, faster game.

Originally posted by spearman@Jan 5 2006, 12:32 AM

You CAN just run into the player to perform a basic tackle.

X peforms a diving tackle and CIRCLE attempts a big hit.

They've tweaked the big hit button this time round, so if you're a puny wingman attempting to put a big hit in on a rampaging forward, the winger is just going to end up on his arse as the forward walks over the top of you.

The tackling in RC2006 is the best, most responsive tackling system this side of Jonah Lomu Rugby.

Originally posted by locksley+Jan 5 2006, 05:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Jan 5 2006, 05:00 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-spearman
@Jan 5 2006, 12:32 AM
How does defence work in RC2006.  Can you select a rush/drift defence or other style.  (like EAs rugby05) or is it the same defence every time.

They've tweaked the big hit button this time round, so if you're a puny wingman attempting to put a big hit in on a rampaging forward, the winger is just going to end up on his arse as the forward walks over the top of you.

The tackling in RC2006 is the best, most responsive tackling system this side of Jonah Lomu Rugby. [/b]
Locksley I know I'm in the wrong forum here but what was the tacking in rugby 2006 like?

Cheers

Originally posted by locksley+Jan 5 2006, 04:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Jan 5 2006, 04:00 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-spearman
How does defence work in RC2006.  Can you select a rush/drift defence or other style.  (like EAs rugby05) or is it the same defence every time.

The tackling in RC2006 is the best, most responsive tackling system this side of Jonah Lomu Rugby. [/b]
Is that the case with all wingers? Or is it stat dependant? Because Lote Tuqiri doesn't get bounced off by forwards very often..

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 5 2006, 10:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 5 2006, 10:13 AM)</div>
Originally posted by locksley@Jan 5 2006, 04:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-spearman

The tackling in RC2006 is the best, most responsive tackling system this side of Jonah Lomu Rugby.
Is that the case with all wingers? Or is it stat dependant? Because Lote Tuqiri doesn't get bounced off by forwards very often.. [/b]
gotto be stat depending

u cant have lomu/cau cau/lote/rocko NOT smashing dudes in attack either

Can anyone tell me how many mauls a game there are now? I'm quite sure someone said a low number, but I was wondering whether anyone could confirm this. A good weapon, just a bit too frequent in WCR.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jan 5 2006, 08:34 AM
There were definitely less.
Thank you. They slowed WCR down a lot, so this is good news.

Latest posts