• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Disaster in Christchurch

I have a good friend who's family lives in the suburb of Belfast, NZ. They are okay, but I've heard the reports of the damage and it's just sad. This is a great opportunity for the rugby community to support one of the greatest rugby cities. God bless those affected by this tragedy.

did some searching and was surprised there wasn't a longer thread about the Christchurch Earthquakes, also seems we moved on quickly

Today marks the 10 years anniversary, I left Christchurch a few years ago after years working on the rebuild, it still saddens me to see how much is still unfinished and possibly never will be now, a city permanently scared

these are just some of my recollections

I was in my office building on Armagh street

Once the shaking stopped we stood and looked out the window to see the Cathedral Spire fall behind the buildings across the street...and then got the hell out of there.

ran to my wifes office, she was on the 18th floor. i spent about an hour and a half in front trying to call her, filled the time directing tourists to the park rather than waiting in front of historic buildings

When i finally got a text from her she told me to get our car and go get her dad, he lived on the hill above redcliffs and was recovering from cancer

I ran up the ramp of the rydges hotel carpark hitting the button on my keys as i didn't know where she had parked, found it and got out...and spend another couple of hours in traffic trying to get out of town and thinking going into the carpark was probably a bit dangerous

The Fire department got my wife out at about 5 oclock from memory, she was in one of the buildings where the fire stairs collapsed and so have to dropped down through several floors

i hadn't even made it to Moorhouse ave when she text to say she had got out, i parked up and walked back to meet her, we got to redcliffs to get her dad at about 630...he was standing in the middle of a semi collapsing house with no memory of the event or the hours after...although to this day the slightest shake hits him hard

the following week or so are a bit of a blur, didn't have power for a week or so and water about ten days, missions to get petrol and food, an epic BBQ where i cooked all the meat in the freezer, driving the father i law to tekapo where my brother in law could take him to queenstown, helping friends clear liquefaction etc

both the wife and i were back to work within a couple of weeks, me doing asset assessment on the sewerage network...that was horrible...truly horrible, especially when getting clean was still difficult

and then five years of fighting our insurer over out 7 week old house...if a couple who works for the largest engineering consultancy in the country and a leading construction lawyer struggled to settle with their insurer for five years...im really worried how many people got ripped off

Latest posts